Is Adam Jones the new Luis Matos?

melankfo

I thought I heard a quote from Jones where he said he was trying to hit a grand slam every at bat. I get the sense that he started to press, the problem got worse, and now it's really in his head.

He looked worse during his final AB last night than at any other point in the season. The one that ended in him striking out on a breaking ball that started low out of the strike zone, then finished in the dirt. He really only took a half swing at it. It was sad.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He looked worse during his final AB last night than at any other point in the season. The one that ended in him striking out on a breaking ball that started low out of the strike zone, then finished in the dirt. He really only took a half swing at it. It was sad.

Did you see that swing Atkins took on that 3-2 pitch that was so low and outside that when he swung I thought he was going to fall across home plate on his head!:eek:

Jones isn't the only Oriole looking bad, and Atkins recently has actually started to hit better! How about giving AJ the same opportunity before writing him off?:rolleyes:

Comparing Adam Jones to Luis Matos is absolutley the most ridiculous thing ever. People, quit *****ing and complaining about Jones. Let him play the season out and evaluate at the end of the year. We have played 29 games and still have 132 to go. Players will go thru rough stretches and have p[lenty of bad at bats throughout the year. He will come around with time. Hitting leadoff certainly isn't helping....

Matos was never as highly touted a prospect in the minors nor did he ever show close to the potential or power of Jones in the minors (Jones hit 25 Hrs in 100 games in AAA). Also, Jones was an all star and gold glover in his 2nd season (I can hear all you negative ppl saying : but he didn't deserve it). But the fact is that in his 2nd season he was an all star and did win a gold glove. The kid is 24. He will be fine. Just relax and let him play through it. People on this site are way too hard and negative on the kid (its not like he's gotten a markakis like extension or anything). Hes going to be a star, and all of you negative people, who probably can't even hit a 50 mph fastball need to chill, and evaluate Adam at the end of the year. If he's still hitting .220 with 3 hrs than you will have every right to complain. BUT HE WONT BE. And you will all feel stupid for being so hard on a 24 year old who is doing his absolute best and working his ass off.

Did you see that swing Atkins took on that 3-2 pitch that was so low and outside that when he swung I thought he was going to fall across home plate on his head!:eek:

Jones isn't the only Oriole looking bad, and Atkins recently has actually started to hit better! How about giving AJ the same opportunity before writing him off?:rolleyes:

No one is writing off your boy.

The problem is, this has been a year long issue...This hasn't been a 3-4 week slump. This has been a full year of suckiness and it appears to actually be getting worse, not better. That's a big problem.

I can't believe how quickly people have been lining up to throw dirt on Jones.

Have you even seen him play? He looks awful right now and has no clue at the plate. He's trying to hit grand slams with the bases empty on every AB. He's got loads of talent, but he's trying to do way too much. I think he needs to be dropped to 8th, and if that doesn't work give him some extensive time off to work with Crow, or send him to AAA to get his head right.

If AJ doesn't right the ship in these next 3 games, I bet he is sent down on Monday.

I also think (hope) that Crowley is replaced that day and one of Arrieta or Tillman joins the rotation.

I bet you that you're 0 for 3 on that one. Wow, you really are an Oriole.;)

Comparing Adam Jones to Luis Matos is absolutley the most ridiculous thing ever. People, quit *****ing and complaining about Jones. Let him play the season out and evaluate at the end of the year. We have played 29 games and still have 132 to go. Players will go thru rough stretches and have p[lenty of bad at bats throughout the year. He will come around with time. Hitting leadoff certainly isn't helping....

This isn't a 29 game issue. He has been "slumping" since the All-Star break last year.

I can't believe how quickly people have been lining up to throw dirt on Jones.

And people aren't piling on Jones. No one wants to cut him or trade him. Most people expected a lot from Jones this season as well as in the future. Most people still do and want to see him get his issues straightened out. I'm pretty sure everyone here is pulling for the guy to get back on track.

And DT continues to bat him first...Amazing.

DT just doesn't have good options right now. Even though Nick would be a good candidate, DT understandably is hesitant to put him in a spot where he's likely to have even less opportunities to drive in runs than he has now. You've got Izturis, Reimold, Atkins, and Scott all with OBP's below .300. There really aren't any very good options. Personally I'd go with Nick, but I'm not going to lambast DT for not doing that.

DT just doesn't have good options right now. Even though Nick would be a good candidate, DT understandably is hesitant to put him in a spot where he's likely to have even less opportunities to drive in runs than he has now. You've got Izturis, Reimold, Atkins, and Scott all with OBP's below .300. There really aren't any very good options. Personally I'd go with Nick, but I'm not going to lambast DT for not doing that.

Too many excuses for DT...You have to do what is best for the team right now and long term:

Markakis- RF

Miggy-SS

Wieters- C

Wiggy- 2nd

Scott- DH

Reimold- LF

Jones- CF

Hughes/Atkins- 1b

Izzy- SS

You could switch Miggy and Wiggy...but basically, that is the lineup we should be putting out there everyday..barring days off.

How does the sand taste that your head is buried in?

Oh come off it, when have I said that Jones isn't sucking right now? He stinks. but then again, half of the team is sucking right now as well.

Where are the weekly threads about Reimold?

Archived