Cubs call up Starlin Castro

Scarey

I know you guys have been intrigued by Castro, so I thought I would point this out to you.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37017632/ns/sports-player_news/

Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that the Cubs have called up prospect shortstop Starlin Castro.

According to Rojas, Castro is en route to meet the club for this weekend's series against the Reds. If true, it represents a surprising change of pace for the club, as Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said Castro was not in line for an early-season promotion as recently as last week. Castro, 20, is batting .376/.421/.569 with one home run, 20 RBI and 20 runs scored over 109 at-bats with Double-A Tennessee. He was ranked as the organization's No. 1 prospect by Baseball America over the winter. His promotion would push Ryan Theriot to second base.

He may not play today, but probably will be in the lineup tomorrow. Cubs fans for the most part haven't gotten the news yet, but Chicago will be buzzing by this afternoon.

I have the Cubs-Reds game on now (my wife is a Cubs fan) and I think the Reds announcers mentioned that Castro was responsible for more runs in his ABs than the Cubs scored in their entire series against the Pirates (6 RBIs so far)

Archived