O's are unlikely to get #1 pick in the 2011 Draft

I honestly wouldn't mind getting the 2-4 pick next year since there's a lot of really strong pitching talent that is close to ML-ready.

I took a quick look at the schedule a few minutes ago, and we have:

• one series against the Royals (4 games)
  • one series against the Indians
  • one series against the Mariners
  • 4 series' against the Blue Jays

Other than that we play teams who are in the top 3 in our division, or the top three in the AL Central/West. We've got it pretty tough the rest of the way, and I would hope that MacPhail's looking to trade some veterans for some young pieces.

I find it hard to believe that we don't finish with a top 3 draft pick for next year. I'd like to get Rendon, but I think the year to really "punt" the season was '08 when we would have gotten Strasburg the next year.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's terrible if a team "tries" to lose (although when I see Lugo and Itzturis in the lineup together, and Tatum catching, that's as close to punting a season away as I've ever seen). But Rendon is to hitting what Strasburg is to pitching. Next year would be absolutely key to getting the #1 pick. Plus, you don't have to worry about career ending injuries like you do with a pitcher. Position players play every day, but your best pitcher only once every 5 days. Getting Rendon (whether it's us or Pittsburgh) can be the key to a complete turnaround. He's just that good...

I think it's terrible if a team "tries" to lose (although when I see Lugo and Itzturis in the lineup together, and Tatum catching, that's as close to punting a season away as I've ever seen). But Rendon is to hitting what Strasburg is to pitching. Next year would be absolutely key to getting the #1 pick. Plus, you don't have to worry about career ending injuries like you do with a pitcher. Position players play every day, but your best pitcher only once every 5 days. Getting Rendon (whether it's us or Pittsburgh) can be the key to a complete turnaround. He's just that good...

False. Rendon is not the offensive version of Strasburg. That comparison is not fair or accurate. Rendon is a great prospect but he is not even a lock to go number 1 at this point. Your making me look bad for questioning Stotle's posts about the overhype of Rendon.

False. Rendon is not the offensive version of Strasburg. That comparison is not fair or accurate. Rendon is a great prospect but he is not even a lock to go number 1 at this point. Your making me look bad for questioning Stotle's posts about the overhype of Rendon.

I was actually about to respond to this myself.....We are really putting unfair hype on Rendon. He is not head and shoulders above the rest of the picks. If Cole puts it all together and shows improved command and a consistently improved slider, he could jump to #1. If Jungmann improves his command and his secondaries and dominates, he could become #1, if Purke adds a couple MPH to his FB if he fills in some more, he could become #1. Rendon is an elite position player, but not Strasburg elite. Would Rendon be considered #1 if he were in the 07 draft with Wieters and Price? I dunno, I don't think he would be, but Strasburg, you can safely say would be the #1 pick(or atleast rated #1) in any draft in the last couple of decades.......

I think it has just been so long that we have seen an elite position player like this that we tend to really think he is better than the others, but I don't think thats the case.....

No player in next years' draft is anywhere close to as exciting as Rendon.

Without looking anything up, can you name 10 HS pitchers, 10 HS position players, 10 college pitchers and 10 college position players in the 2011 class? Just curious -- this seems definitive language for an event a little less than a year away. I spoke to people at the TOS and PG National that found some HSers to be very exciting.

Without looking anything up, can you name 10 HS pitchers, 10 HS position players, 10 college pitchers and 10 college position players in the 2011 class? Just curious -- this seems definitive language for an event a little less than a year away. I spoke to people at the TOS and PG National that found some HSers to be very exciting.

Archie Bradley sounds pretty darn exciting.....And possibly even moreso, Daniel Norris. It'll be interesting to see who makes the BIG jump next year between Bradley, Norris and Bundy....

What in hell are you basing your opinion on?? Rendon, from all reports I've read, is an absolute lock to go #1 in 2011. His bat is absolute magic.:)

What in hell are you basing your opinion on?? Rendon, from all reports I've read, is an absolute lock to go #1 in 2011. His bat is absolute magic.:)

The usual sources. Rendon is the early favorite and likely #1, but he is not an absolute lock.

Archie Bradley sounds pretty darn exciting.....And possibly even moreso, Daniel Norris. It'll be interesting to see who makes the BIG jump next year between Bradley, Norris and Bundy....

Pretty strong football commitment, too. Will be a fun one to watch, for sure. Couple of favs of mine (not for Top 10 overall right now) are Joshua Tobias and Bryan Brickhouse -- saw them down in Ft. Myers in January and heard solid reports from PG Nationals and TOS.

Pretty strong football commitment, too. Will be a fun one to watch, for sure. Couple of favs of mine (not for Top 10 overall right now) are Joshua Tobias and Bryan Brickhouse -- saw them down in Ft. Myers in January and heard solid reports from PG Nationals and TOS.

Wow, Tobias is listed at 5'9, but seeing his PerfectGame picture profile of the kid, I am just blown away by how diesel he looks. Is a big power guy?

Wow, Tobias is listed at 5'9, but seeing his PerfectGame picture profile of the kid, I am just blown away by how diesel he looks. Is a big power guy?

Certainly a hard contact guy -- the ball jumps w/wood (saw him in a brutal environment, too, with the temp down in the 30s and rainy). Offensive profile reminds me some of a cross between Howie Kendrick and Rickie Weeks, but I need to see Josh play a little more in all honesty.

Archived