O's are unlikely to get #1 pick in the 2011 Draft

I am WAY more interested in BAL getting creative in adding picks to their 2011 allotment than I am whether they pick #1 or #7. They will get a very good player next year -- I'd like for them to maybe get a shot at 2 or 3 in the first round and 2 or 3 more in the supplemental-1st.

You, me and every O's fan would be elated. =)

2011 is shaping up quite strong, and pending who is dealt and who is offered arbitration, we should have a decent to excellent influx of young talent on the way.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wigginton and Tejada I go picks. Millwood I go trade.

I think that the pick(s) for Wigginton and Miggy will be better than what we are likely to get in a trade offer for them. I think the trade offer for Millwood is likely to be better than the picks for him would be.

Obviously it is way too early to tell, but what are the odds of Wigginton and Miggy declining arbitration? Isn't this something else that needs to be factored in?

I am WAY more interested in BAL getting creative in adding picks to their 2011 allotment than I am whether they pick #1 or #7. They will get a very good player next year -- I'd like for them to maybe get a shot at 2 or 3 in the first round and 2 or 3 more in the supplemental-1st.

Give the O's the #1 starter from each of our division rivals, and I still like the under on 60 wins with the putrid offense the O's have.

Bigger question for the draft scouts on the quality of 2010/2011 class:

Would you trade this year's 3rd pick for next year's 4th pick ?

- time factor actually goes away if it's a high schooler this year vs a college player next year.

Give the O's the #1 starter from each of our division rivals, and I still like the under on 60 wins with the putrid offense the O's have.

Bigger question for the draft scouts on the quality of 2010/2011 class:

Would you trade this year's 3rd pick for next year's 4th pick ?

- time factor actually goes away if it's a high schooler this year vs a college player next year.

I'd rather have the pick this year and that player starting their career than a comparable pick next year. I think one of Taillon/Harper is certainly comparable with a #4 pick next year. The big plus for next year is the depth, meaning there will be good value (particularly at the college arm ranks) mid-1st potentially through the mid-2nd because there are only 15 slots in the 1st and likely more than 15 players of top-half 1st quality (in a typical draft). There's also more "elite" talent up top, so if BAL were picking, say 9th or 10th this year I would probably feel differently.

At this juncture it looks like we are duking it out with KC and Houston though there are a few others that could easily fall into the mix. It's interesting that more people assume we will get better rather than stay at the level where we have been playing for some 33 games now or about a fifth of the season. One could in my view, casting aside a natural desire to always view one's own team in the kindest of optics, make the case that we are indeed on a course that could very easily land us as the worst team in MLB at the end of the season. Right now this team stinks. Plain and simple. It could be one of those ugly years wherein everyone pretty much underachieves. Not beyond the pale.

With all the doomsayers already discussing how we are looking at locking up the first spot in the 2011 Draft, I wanted to remind them that there are 12 teams within 5.5 games of our sad position in the standings. As bad as we've been, I don't believe we're the worst team in the game, nor expect a #1 pick.

If Anthony Rendon is indeed the top dog, he'll likely be barking up another tree. ;)

As nice as it would be to have an Evan Longoria clone, I could settle for Gray or Bauer or G. Cole :) Not to mention, if we do take Taillon this year which sounds promising and having him and another #1 SP coming up with him at the same time. IMO having 2 arms like that arriving in Baltimore around the same time could solidify the rotation

As nice as it would be to have an Evan Longoria clone, I could settle for Gray or Bauer or G. Cole :) Not to mention, if we do take Taillon this year which sounds promising and having him and another #1 SP coming up with him at the same time. IMO having 2 arms like that arriving in Baltimore around the same time could solidify the rotation

If you give us the Yankees starting staff, we're still probably going to struggle to get over .500 with our putrid offense. I agree that it is never a bad thing to have an abundance of elite pitching prospects, but i absolutely want Rendon in the system next year.

I think we'll at least have a top 3 pick next year, so we should be able to add a guy like Rendon or Cole, which is highly exciting. Hopefully this is the last year that we have to consider who to take at the top of the draft again.

With all the doomsayers already discussing how we are looking at locking up the first spot in the 2011 Draft, I wanted to remind them that there are 12 teams within 5.5 games of our sad position in the standings. As bad as we've been, I don't believe we're the worst team in the game, nor expect a #1 pick.

If Anthony Rendon is indeed the top dog, he'll likely be barking up another tree. ;)

I don't know. With each game we play, it is becoming clearer that this is a 100-loss team. Next June should be fun when we have the #1 pick.

I don't know. With each game we play, it is becoming clearer that this is a 100-loss team. Next June should be fun when we have the #1 pick.

Even more fun if it's like '89...sitting in first place and having the #1 pick.

I respectfully disagree. We play in the toughest division in baseball and play 76 games against the Yanks, Sox, Blue Jays and Rays. If we win 25 games collectively I would be shocked. Right now we are 6-15 with 28 percent of our schedule complete. On top of that, we usually stink against AL Central competition. What I'm saying is we will be hard pressed not to break 100 losses. That puts us solidly in the mix:)

I respectfully disagree. We play in the toughest division in baseball and play 76 games against the Yanks, Sox, Blue Jays and Rays. If we win 25 games collectively I would be shocked. Right now we are 6-15 with 28 percent of our schedule complete. On top of that, we usually stink against AL Central competition. What I'm saying is we will be hard pressed not to break 100 losses. That puts us solidly in the mix:)

What your saying makes sense but it is also true in any given year and we have not lost 100 games anytime recently. I still think this squad has to much talent to lost 100 games.

What your saying makes sense but it is also true in any given year and we have not lost 100 games anytime recently. I still think this squad has to much talent to lost 100 games.

I agree, especially once we begin promoting SPs into the rotation and begin hitting, we will play pretty well. I have always been one who was interested in where we land in the following draft, but as it stands, IMO we will be picking somewhere between 9th and 14th....

Once Tillman or Arrieta are up and take the place of Hernandez while Bergy and Matusz find their grooves along with Guthrie continuing to be decent and Millwood ocntinuing to pitch well, we will have the best team we have had in some time....

I agree, especially once we begin promoting SPs into the rotation and begin hitting, we will play pretty well. I have always been one who was interested in where we land in the following draft, but as it stands, IMO we will be picking somewhere between 9th and 14th....

Once Tillman or Arrieta are up and take the place of Hernandez while Bergy and Matusz find their grooves along with Guthrie continuing to be decent and Millwood ocntinuing to pitch well, we will have the best team we have had in some time....

I was thinking more like 4th or 5th; we'll see.

Archived