Crowley Stats OPS+ with Age Seasons

hoosiers

More Crowley stats - this time using OPS+ and age as a context. I did not leave anyone out on purpose (not Matthews whose numbers were all over, Bordick, Javy or anyone else) and have not attempted to skew the data in any way. I've tried to present years where players were starters with substantial at-bats and have tried to point out when the PAs were lower.

Miggy - four years prior to Crowley - age 25-29 seasons - 111 OPS+

30-33 seasons with TC - 124

34-35 seasons without TC - 101

Age 36 season with TC so far - 109

Huff - best seasons 25-27 - 135

age 28-29 seasons prior to TC - 103

age 30-32 seasons with TC - 111

age 32 season with Detroit after trade - 47

age 33 season so far with SFG - 114

Wigginton - ages 28-30 seasons before TC - 116

age 31 season with TC - 87

this year, age 32 season with TC - 169

Scott - age 29 season before TC - 118

ages 30-31 seasons with TC - 113

age 32 season with TC so far - 72

Izturis age 27-28 seasons before TC - 63

ages 29-30 seasons with TC - 64

age 31 season with TC so far - 43

Pie - age 22 season with Cubs - 192 Plate appearances - 52

age 23 season with Cubs - 93 PAs - 63

age 24 season with TC - 281 PAs - 99

so far in age 25 season with TC over 22 PAs - 198

Bigbie - age 25 season over 319 PAs with TC - 117

age 26 season over 531 PAs with TC - 101

age 27 season over 234 PAs with TC - 84

age 28 season after leaving Os - 45

Batista - age 25-26 seasons before TC - 107

age 27 season, 291 PAs with Toronto - 67

age 27 season, 331 PAs with TC - 105

age 28 season with TC - 105

age 29 season with TC - 73

three seasons after TC - 82

Deivi Cruz, ages 25-32 seasons as follows: 69, 85, 96, 81, 81, 69, 92, 75 The only season with TC was the age 30 season of 69 - the worst season in the last seven of DC's career.

Conine - age 28-30 seasons (no Crowley) - 129

ages 31 - 32 seasons before Crowley - 98 and 87

ages 33-37 seasons with TC - 108

ages 38-39 seasons after TC - 107

Mora - age 28 season with Mets covering 242 PAs - 88

age 28 season with TC covering 222 PAs - 96

ages 29-37 seasons with TC - 110

Hairston - ages 25-28 seasons with TC - 75, 92, 93, 105

age 29 season after TC - 82

other seasons with decent at-bats age 32 - 125 in 297 PAs, age 33 - 86 OPS+ in 433 PAs

Ramon Hernandez - age 27-29 seasons before TC - 111

age 30 season with TC - 111

ages 31-32 seasons with TC 87, 86

age 33 season after TC - 84

Ramon is off to strong start in 2010 - 102

Jay Payton - ages 27-33 seasons before TC - 98, 75, 115, 110, 88, 95, 94

ages 34-35 seasons with TC - 74, 68

Crowley has spent the majority of his time working with Os free agent hitters on the other side of 28 - in some cases players well into the downside of their careers. TC's one season with Dievi Cruz and two with Jay Payton were terrible though Payton was finished really after the Os.

The two internally developed hitters with multiple years, Markakis and BRob, have done just fine with TC. The jury is still out with AJones, Wieters and Reimold. Few of the hitters enjoyed sustained success after leaving the Os.

IMO, it's difficult to look at the above and conclude TC is part of our problem. He's been asked to deal with hitters well into their 30s during his time here and has produced quality years with many of those hitters.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's pretty hard to draw any real firm conclusions from your work, or Slappy's, but I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this.

The problem with the work is it places the change entirely on the hitting coach and doesn't account for the varying park factors as the player's change teams.

The problem with the work is it places the change entirely on the hitting coach and doesn't account for the varying park factors as the player's change teams.

I'm pretty sure OPS+ is park adjusted. Your point's still valid, though - there are plenty of other factors besides hitting coach and park.

I think it's pretty hard to draw any real firm conclusions from your work, or Slappy's, but I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this.

Generally, I see Crow dealing with older hitters and helping those hitters generate positive results. Few hitters were worse with Crow and few went on to have multiple successful seasons after Crow. I think it is difficult to review TC's effect and conclude, as others appear to have done, that Crow is "part of the problem".

Generally, I see Crow dealing with older hitters and helping those hitters generate positive results. Few hitters were worse with Crow and few went on to have multiple successful seasons after Crow. I think it is difficult to review TC's effect and conclude, as others appear to have done, that Crow is "part of the problem".

But is he part of the solution?

Is any hitting coach part of the solution? I don't know. Is there an available hitting coach you have in mind who might be part of the solution, and why do you think so?

Is Jaramillo still available? I remember him getting axed in Texas.

And I am not sure if any hitting coach is part of the solution...but I know Crow isn't...12 years and still nothing.

We have heard several times that he preaches an aggressive approach.

We have seen the Orioles have the same consistent approach against these soft tossing young pitchers thast we should be tearing up...Everything pulled...Swing at everything...make zero in game adjustments...Not have any kind of a game plan going up there.

Its pathetic and tiring to watch them do the SAME THING EVERY YEAR...it never changes.

Is any hitting coach part of the solution? I don't know. Is there an available hitting coach you have in mind who might be part of the solution, and why do you think so?

The ghost of Charlie Lau. He'll force everyone to put all their weight on their back foot, stride into the pitch, and release their top hands. They might not hit any better, but at least they'll all look like George Brett.

Ok, no.

More Crowley stats - this time using OPS+ and age as a context. I did not leave anyone out on purpose (not Matthews whose numbers were all over, Bordick, Javy or anyone else) and have not attempted to skew the data in any way. I've tried to present years where players were starters with substantial at-bats and have tried to point out when the PAs were lower.

Miggy - four years prior to Crowley - age 25-29 seasons - 111 OPS+

30-33 seasons with TC - 124

34-35 seasons without TC - 101

Age 36 season with TC so far - 109

Huff - best seasons 25-27 - 135

age 28-29 seasons prior to TC - 103

age 30-32 seasons with TC - 111

age 32 season with Detroit after trade - 47

age 33 season so far with SFG - 114

Wigginton - ages 28-30 seasons before TC - 116

age 31 season with TC - 87

this year, age 32 season with TC - 169

Scott - age 29 season before TC - 118

ages 30-31 seasons with TC - 113

age 32 season with TC so far - 72

Izturis age 27-28 seasons before TC - 63

ages 29-30 seasons with TC - 64

age 31 season with TC so far - 43

Pie - age 22 season with Cubs - 192 Plate appearances - 52

age 23 season with Cubs - 93 PAs - 63

age 24 season with TC - 281 PAs - 99

so far in age 25 season with TC over 22 PAs - 198

Bigbie - age 25 season over 319 PAs with TC - 117

age 26 season over 531 PAs with TC - 101

age 27 season over 234 PAs with TC - 84

age 28 season after leaving Os - 45

Batista - age 25-26 seasons before TC - 107

age 27 season, 291 PAs with Toronto - 67

age 27 season, 331 PAs with TC - 105

age 28 season with TC - 105

age 29 season with TC - 73

three seasons after TC - 82

Deivi Cruz, ages 25-32 seasons as follows: 69, 85, 96, 81, 81, 69, 92, 75 The only season with TC was the age 30 season of 69 - the worst season in the last seven of DC's career.

Conine - age 28-30 seasons (no Crowley) - 129

ages 31 - 32 seasons before Crowley - 98 and 87

ages 33-37 seasons with TC - 108

ages 38-39 seasons after TC - 107

Mora - age 28 season with Mets covering 242 PAs - 88

age 28 season with TC covering 222 PAs - 96

ages 29-37 seasons with TC - 110

Hairston - ages 25-28 seasons with TC - 75, 92, 93, 105

age 29 season after TC - 82

other seasons with decent at-bats age 32 - 125 in 297 PAs, age 33 - 86 OPS+ in 433 PAs

Ramon Hernandez - age 27-29 seasons before TC - 111

age 30 season with TC - 111

ages 31-32 seasons with TC 87, 86

age 33 season after TC - 84

Ramon is off to strong start in 2010 - 102

Jay Payton - ages 27-33 seasons before TC - 98, 75, 115, 110, 88, 95, 94

ages 34-35 seasons with TC - 74, 68

Crowley has spent the majority of his time working with Os free agent hitters on the other side of 28 - in some cases players well into the downside of their careers. TC's one season with Dievi Cruz and two with Jay Payton were terrible though Payton was finished really after the Os.

The two internally developed hitters with multiple years, Markakis and BRob, have done just fine with TC. The jury is still out with AJones, Wieters and Reimold. Few of the hitters enjoyed sustained success after leaving the Os.

IMO, it's difficult to look at the above and conclude TC is part of our problem. He's been asked to deal with hitters well into their 30s during his time here and has produced quality years with many of those hitters.

This is great analysis, but it appears like you set out with an agenda, and your data therefore aligns with it. In places, you seem to group the data strangely. Like Ramon Hernandez's first year with TC being broken out so that it looks like TC helped him maintain his 111OPS+. In reality, his numbers dropped off drastically. He got worse every year under TC's watch.

I think these numbers are interesting, but hardly conclusive. Overall, I would say the Orioles look impatient at the plate. They have always looked impatient at the plate under TC, to me. And while individual hitters are responsible for their own hitting, the coach, to me, is responsible for establishing the team's APPROACH to hitting. And that's where I see our lineups consistently lacking, year after year. There seems to be no consistent approach at the plate, at all. It's just random guys getting up there and going for it.

And I am not sure if any hitting coach is part of the solution...but I know Crow isn't...12 years and still nothing.

We have seen the Orioles have the same consistent approach against these soft tossing young pitchers thast we should be tearing up...Everything pulled...Swing at everything...make zero in game adjustments...Not have any kind of a game plan going up there.

Its pathetic and tiring to watch them do the SAME THING EVERY YEAR...it never changes.

Yes and yes and yes.

This is about three days of serving up generalities that cling to the least common denominator of your observations and hearsay/quotes of Crow that appear, on the surface, to have little statistical support.

Crow had been handed a decades worth of Jay Paytons, Jeff Conines, David Seguis, Larry Bigbies, Jerry Hairstons and Tony Batistas and appears to have done reasonably well with them. The two best Orioles hitters, BRob and Markakis, have been with Crow their entire careers and have just fine plate discipline and BB rates. Pie has been a remarkable turnaround and this year's TyWi has been sensational (though this year's Scott, Jones, Reimold and Wieters have been disappointing).

Many things go wrong for a team to have 12 consecutive losing seasons. AM is attempting to fix a lot of them, but I see little concrete evidence to support any perception that Crow was even a minor contributor to all the losing. He appears to generally have a positive effect on the hitters he's been given.

Archived