MacPhail to release web video for fans tomorrow

Slappy

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly I was expecting nothing. I just don't see the point of the video, I guess. I don't think it was a particularly convincing message of calm. The things he was saying were rational, but most rational people probably already understood it all.

I don't think that video would do anything to assuage the doubts of irrational, impatient people. I would think it would have the opposite effect - and looking around this thread it seems it has.

I guess I could say I appreciate the gesture, but I think the video was pretty pointless.

Ditto. I just didn't see what the video added.

No I don't believe him. We are 9-23....if the time isn't right now to seek outside help, then pray-tell when that time may be?
The time to seek outside help will be when outside help is available.

Unless you think of the Mexican leagues as a good source of outside help, nothing is available right now. We have to go through internal options until teams are willing to move their depth. We could maybe dig up a Patterson-esque AAAA type, but that really wouldn't be any different than what we're going with now. There certainly won't be any sort of established help available from other organizations right now.

Might take pressure off the players in some way? I dunno, but yeah, its clear he is very calculative in everything he does.

I meant that half-sarcastically.

Who thought that coming out and saying things that no one disputes would create so much anger?

I think at this point the anger is there regardless of what happens, outside of winning. By stepping into the spotlight he allows that anger lens to focus on himself.

Well, that was my half-sarcastic thought. Glad to see someone doesn't think it completely crackpot.

I meant that half-sarcastically.

Who thought that coming out and saying things that no one disputes would create so much anger?

Well, think about it. If someone important goes on TV and says "health insurance is really expensive" or "there are a lot of illegal immigrants in this country" or "most of our oil is imported" it causes a lot of anger even though all those statements are true and they're all extremely banal. Because the statements are so banal people immediately want to go a step beyond to whatever they think the solution is or to discussing the speaker's bias or intended spin, despite the fact that all he/she did was state a fact.

Corey Patterson and Rhyne Hughes are examples of just this. Hughes was hitting as well as any AAA 1st baseman out there.

AM is actually doing what you advocate, but it is frustrating to see that when we continue to lose.

Hughes isn't now and never was good.

Archived