MacPhail to release web video for fans tomorrow

Slappy

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I have said as early as April 14th in this thread, AM saying that this year was about wins and losses was his biggest mistake so far as the O's GM... bigger than Atkin, Gonzalez or any other move he has made so far.

Wholeheartedly agree. Huge mistake.

What else was he going to say? Before the season started, most people on this board thought that this team was capable of playing around .500 ball this season. AM probably thought the same thing. He had every reason to think that this team should win some games, and now that they aren't he has every reason to follow through with the implied threat to make some major changes.

How is he worse off having said what everyone who cares about the team agreed with? It's not like he's in a corner and has to scrap the rebuild just to "save the season"...if he fires Trembley and the coaches, he'll have enough credibility to enable him to continue the rebuild by trading Millwood, Tejada and so on later this summer.

What else was he gonna say? How about the same thing he's said before every year since he's been here in regards of wins and losses mattering: nothing. Nada, zippy, zilch.

In sales, it's a golden rule: You don't celebrate the sale until all the paperwork is done, all the i's have been dotted and the t's have been crossed. That's when you can call it safe.

Relate that to MacPhail's idiot comment before this season...he was feeling good about this teams chances and fired that off. Hell, we all felt good about this team coming into the season.

MacPhail didn't count that things could backfire, that players could regress or flat out suck, injuries and that the Orioles are...well, the Orioles.

That freakin comment has been used and abused to death on this board by so many people and it's been warped and been taken to mean so many things. People automatically thought it meant he thought we could play .500 ball this year.

That is a ginormous leap in logic...yet people just keep harping on this comment and twisting it into whatever ways fit their arguments.

Guest rochester
And it is his job as GM to account for those things.

Take this with a grain of salt...psss psss... it's a conspiracy, y'know, PA is getting up there a bit. AM and a few select people (yes DT too) have told PA that they changed the rules (yknow AM has that commish thing) and that 9-24 means 24 wins and 9 losses. And they tell PA that they spent a ton of his money on really good players. Meanwhile all of PA's $$ is going to a select few (AM, DT, Frobby, etc.) and PA is left wondering why people like you keep b'ing and moaning about him not spending money and winning. I mean, have you seen that custom suits AM wears; DT has a mansion; and don't get me started on Frobby - all I can say is that it takes a humble man to consort with folks like us. These guys are brilliant.

Oh yea, they also tell PA when the attendance is announced in the 3000 range that it is how many seats are empty

What else was he gonna say? How about the same thing he's said before every year since he's been here in regards of wins and losses mattering: nothing. Nada, zippy, zilch.

In sales, it's a golden rule: You don't celebrate the sale until all the paperwork is done, all the i's have been dotted and the t's have been crossed. That's when you can call it safe.

Relate that to MacPhail's idiot comment before this season...he was feeling good about this teams chances and fired that off. Hell, we all felt good about this team coming into the season.

MacPhail didn't count that things could backfire, that players could regress or flat out suck, injuries and that the Orioles are...well, the Orioles.

That freakin comment has been used and abused to death on this board by so many people and it's been warped and been taken to mean so many things. People automatically thought it meant he thought we could play .500 ball this year.

That is a ginormous leap in logic...yet people just keep harping on this comment and twisting it into whatever ways fit their arguments.

I've always gone on the premise that you underpromise and overperform. What MacPhail did instead was overpromise and his team has underperformed and look what has happened? He's releasing a silly tape to the fans.

This team needed a year to gel and to see who is for real and who isn't.

It's the reason why the early 1990 Braves struggled even with Justice, Gant, Smoltz, Glavine and Avery as starters.

It's the reason why the 1991 Cleveland Indians struggled even with Baerga, Belle, Alomar and Nagy as starters.

It's the reason why the 2007 Tampa Bay Rays struggled even with Crawford, Upton, Kazmir and Shields as starters.

IMO these are the teams he is trying to mold the O's from... and he really should have known better before he made that silly comment to the public.

I've always gone on the premise that you underpromise and overperform. What MacPhail did instead was overpromise and his team has underperformed and look what has happened? He's releasing a silly tape to the fans.

It's the reason why the early 1990 Braves struggled even with Justice, Gant, Smoltz, Glavine and Avery as starters.

It's the reason why the 1991 Cleveland Indians struggled even with Baerga, Belle, Alomar and Nagy as starters.

It's the reason why the 2007 Tampa Bay Rays struggled even with Crawford, Upton, Kazmir and Shields as starters.

IMO these are the teams he is trying to mold the O's from... and he really should have known better before he made that silly comment to the public.

MacPhail made no promises. He just said wins and losses matter this year. He didn't say "playoffs" or even "above .500". He just said wins and losses matter more than they have in the past.

It's the fan who went overboard interpreting things the way way they did.

Wholeheartedly agree. Huge mistake.

I think what he meant was that we could play .500 ball with this lineup:

2003 Roberts

2007 Markakis

AAA Wieters

June 2009 Scott

April 2009 Jones

2006 Atkins

2004 Tejada

2009 Reimold

2004 Izturis

That's a pretty good team, so you can't blame him for thinking we'd be good.

2003 Roberts

2007 Markakis

AAA Wieters

June 2009 Scott

April 2009 Jones

2006 Atkins

2004 Tejada

2009 Reimold

2004 Izturis

Why would he think that every player on the roster would get back to the best production of their career? Most of those seasons are 4-5 years ago.

Why would he think that every player on the roster would get back to the best production of their career? Most of those seasons are 4-5 years ago.

To be fair, SanFran didn't say he was expecting the best production of their careers. Roberts was better in '05 than '03, Markakis was better in '08 than '07, Wieters was better in AA than AAA, and Scott was best in '06. So, Andy isn't asking for all that much really.

This is a good post, and applicable to our position this year.

MacPhail really got the rebuild off well with the Bedard trade, although frankly the Miggy trade didn't net us much worthwhile. He also got Wieters signed and drafted Matusz. Getting Pie for peanuts was a great move.

But the more recent moves have been questionable. Bringing back Trembley was a questionable move that he had to preface with the whole "it's about wins" that has him in hot water right now with the fans. Leaving 1B basically unaddressed after giving away Huff for nothing was a huge mistake that has backfired as Brandon Snyder continues to struggle. Failing to do much of anything about the past, current, and pending lack of quality at SS is a concern.

He is a quality GM who has had success at every stop, and I think will ultimately have success here. However, he has made some mistakes that are magnified through the loupe of 12 straight losing seasons and an impatient fan base.

2003 Roberts

2007 Markakis

AAA Wieters

June 2009 Scott

April 2009 Jones

2006 Atkins

2004 Tejada

2009 Reimold

2004 Izturis

I'm not sure that at any point that lineup was considered a pretty good team by the majority of the fan base.

BUT...

To say it was THIS bad of a team - that was unexpected as well.

The truth lies in the middle.

It was a bad team in a transitional period...but we thought it wasn't quite as bad as last year.

And we were wrong. The team is worse than bad. And there's no fix that can be done right now to solve it.

And it'll take massive fixes in the offseason to keep this from extending the rebuilding project by another 3 years probably.

So chances are next season we'll be bad again, but this time really not as bad as this year. So progress!

Archived