Red Sox: Done for the Year

hatepaste

I just came across something pretty interesting. It looks Theo Epstein has given up completely on the Red Sox this year. Just six short days ago, Theo Epstein sat down with Peter Gammons for a little web interview. The video is only 1:45 long, but it is possible that he sat down for a 5 or even 10 minute interview that was shaved down to just under 2 minutes.

http://www.nesn.com/2010/05/theo-epstein-tells-peter-gammons-mike-cameron-jacoby-ellsbury-heading-in-right-direction.html

Clearly, this is a TREMENDOUS waste of resources for the Boston Red Sox organization. They should have spent these resources getting Cameron and Ellsbury healed, as well as just improving their team overall.

With this new development, I think this shows that Orioles are a little closer to competing, now with this HUGE chink in the Red Sox organization's armor. Huge sigh of relief from me.

Jesus, he's giving 10 minute interviews?

The SOSH board must be going ape**** over this. Those are ten minutes he should be using to make his team better, not wasting resources talking to the fans, either through the media or directly.

Jesus, he's giving 10 minute interviews?

The SOSH board must be going ape**** over this. Those are ten minutes he should be using to make his team better, not wasting resources talking to the fans, either through the media or directly.

Since it was with Peter Gammons, the ultimate Red Sox apologist, I'm sure he'll be able to put a positive spin on it.

I can't believe ESPN hasn't picked this up and ran with it yet.

The BoSox have five strong SPs that can right a ship quickly. Unfortunately, with Ellsbury out and Ortiz ineffective, the rest of the team looks old.

IMO, the BoSox may have already dug a hole they can not get out of. The Rays also have five quality SPs and better depth at the top of the minors.

As much as I'm hating our season so far, I'm getting some perverse pleasure out of watching the Red Sox struggle. I'd prefer it was the Yankees, but so long as one of those two teams is playing poorly, I get some satisfaction.

The Red Sox have a payroll of $168 mm this year, which is up $47 mm from last year and is the highest they've ever had by a margin of $25 mm. So where are the results, Theo the Boy Genius?

Agree. And the best part is that their financial flexibility is not all that great. By that, I mean Lackey (whom may never be a great pitcher going forward), Beckett (volatility is his middle name), and Dice-K are huge contract commitments that won't expire any time soon.

Ordinarily a down Red Sox year would be bittersweet in that it's nice to see them struggling, but with full knowledge that Theo would sop up a slew of FA talent in the offseason to remedy.

I'm not sure they will do that this offseason. Yeah, we know they lust after AGon, but that will significantly deplete their minor league talent. Aside from that move, what other bullets will they fire? I don't see them as players for Crawford, Lee, or Werth.

I wouldn't mind being 19-20 right now.

But Theo made some odd moves this winter. Relying on defense in Fenway? Hard to catch balls bouncing 20 feet off a wall. Cameron is 37 years old - not a prime age to be playing CF. Lackey was in no way worth the contract he was given - he's good, not great.

Still, I think they get hot at some point. Beckett is underperforming, as is Victor Martinez and Lester. Getting Cameron and Ellsbury back will help the offense. Too early to write them out, but pretty clear they have fallen behind the Rays and Yankees.

Wow' date=' is Pap going to give up a 2 run lead again in the Bronx? The game is on MLB network if anyone is interested.[/quote']

Bard is better than him now...gotta wonder if they deal Paps at the deadline if they are out of it.

I wouldn't mind being 19-20 right now.

But Theo made some odd moves this winter. Relying on defense in Fenway? Hard to catch balls bouncing 20 feet off a wall. Cameron is 37 years old - not a prime age to be playing CF. Lackey was in no way worth the contract he was given - he's good, not great.

Still, I think they get hot at some point. Beckett is underperforming, as is Victor Martinez and Lester. Getting Cameron and Ellsbury back will help the offense. Too early to write them out, but pretty clear they have fallen behind the Rays and Yankees.

Is it an even year? If it is, then Beckett is not underperforming. Lol, maybe he is slightly, but he's always worse in even years.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4242

I think I've actually put the Sox in front the Yanks in regards to my hate meter. I'm loving this. The arrogance the Sox have carried themselves with over the past decade is hard to swallow.

The Sox will probably finish above .500, which will have the same effect as a losing season on their spoiled fans. Buti don't know if that's a forgone conclusion. But is it possible they're just not that good? Lester is very good. But Beckett seems to be showin some wear and tear. Same with Lackey and Dice K. Bucholtz is an enigma of sorts. Martinez can hit but he's a dh/1b, not a catcher (cleveland knew this), youk and pedroia are nice players, but cannot fill ortiz and mannys shoes. It's still a damn good organization, but they may be in for a bit of a rebuild.

Archived