Reimold is going to Norfolk

TravelerRU

Sorry, but I don't get all the "this is stupid," angst-driven rhetoric. Nolan, plain and simple, sucks right now. I think LM is bad, too, so I'm not sure how they chose one over the other. But I'm not crying witch right now.

Let him hit the ball and earn his way back to the majors.

And I hope he's back soon.

I think it comes down to who is the better prospect, and what is better for his long term development.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only this board would go nuts because their organization sent a clearly frustrated and rattled 26 year old OF with a slashline of .205/.302/.337 down to Norfolk to work on his swing and try to regain a little balance.

You know why they sent Reimold down and not Montanez? Because they care what happens to Reimold and think it will help.

They are thinking in terms of long-term benefit. If his struggles are getting to him, then who cares if Montanez could go down? The O's don't care if Montanez struggles.

Sorry, but I don't get all the "this is stupid," angst-driven rhetoric. Nolan, plain and simple, sucks right now. I think LM is bad, too, so I'm not sure how they chose one over the other. But I'm not crying witch right now.

Let him hit the ball and earn his way back to the majors.

And I hope he's back soon.

This.

I think it comes down to who is the better prospect, and what is better for his long term development.

This.

Moose,

Look at his last 50 at bats. He isn't hitting ANYTHING even slightly hard. AJ and Luke are hitting the ball much more solidly than Nolan which is kind of a scary thing to say. I'd say that the coaches have been able to detect a loss of confidence so they're trying to head it off before it goes too far.

And this.

I'm reading between the lines with DT's confidence issues remark. I think besides working on his fielding, this business with the pregnent ex may truly be a big distraction.

Although I don't completely agree with your reasons, I wouldn't be surprised if confidence is the major factor for his demotion. Not to go RShack here, but we don't know what conversations have taken place between Reimold and Trembley, Datz, Crowley, etc...I just don't see Trembley throwing out the confidence remarks without having talked to him.

I'm not liking this move. I get it, he's hurt, and I do believe that whether it's noticeable or not his injury has had its effects. But if this year is about development, letting the younger and talented guys take their lumps and see whether they can take the team to another level, why send Reimold down? Why send down someone younger to keep older, crappier players like Corey Patterson and Lou Montanez on the team? It doesn't make any sense to me at all. Has his performance been acceptable, no it has not, although the last week or so he seems to be showing some life. But that doesn't change the fact that he could be making these adjustments at the big league level, which someone with Reimold's track record in the minors should be doing, not going back to a level he's been to and dominated before.

I believe a change had to be made. Without question you can't stick with the same players. This is not permanent, and I recognize that. But if you're going to send anyone down that isn't some piece of garbage like Montanez, then let it be Jones, who really does need the wake up call and some skill development. If this had to do with the injury then he should have put him on the DL. Reimold will get back, I've no doubt about it, but Corey Patterson will not solve any problems, and it won't be long until we remember why we didn't want him back in the first place.

Scott is just as bad as Nolan. At least Nolan has a future. Let him play every day up here and work it out.

He has been, you're right. But everyone has noted how much Reimold's slump has effected him. He needs some confidence. Maybe going down to Norfolk and getting on a hot streak will give him that confidence back. I have to imagine that he's back here as soon as he gets hot.

Good Lord folks... Really? Don't you see what this is? They're recharging his batteries so he doesn't have to do it under the microscope. He'll be back in so little time he doesn't use an option if he gets his swing together. Haven't you noticed that he hasn't hit a ball solidly in forever? He works the count, gets a good pitch to hit, and then hits a weak grounder or pop up. He is clearly struggling.

This isn't about the "weaker" player. This is about leaving Montanez as the fifth outfielder, starting Scott in left every day, having Patterson to back up Jones, and getting Reimold on track. Really, I'm surprised you guys don't see this. Montanez is completely immaterial in all this.

:clap3:

Exactly. Let Reimold mash the ball for a week or two. Norfolk is even going on the road, so he doesn't have to worry about hitting in the place balls go to die for a while. Montanez is only there as a random body who can stand around in left after you've pinch run/hit for Scott, and as the emergency CF/RFer. He wasn't sent down because he doesn't matter.

But if this year is about development, letting the younger and talented guys take their lumps and see whether they can take the team to another level, why send Reimold down? ... But that doesn't change the fact that he could be making these adjustments at the big league level, which someone with Reimold's track record in the minors should be doing, not going back to a level he's been to and dominated before.

You let him go down and dominate again. Let him get his stroke back, get comfortable in the batter's box. Then call him right back up. This is all about development - and getting a guy who should be one of the team's better hitters back on his development track.

Reimold will get back, I've no doubt about it, but Corey Patterson will not solve any problems, and it won't be long until we remember why we didn't want him back in the first place.

Sure Patterson (and Montanez) solve problems - the problem of who are the reserve outfielders while Reimold is remembering why he was a very good hitter, in Norfolk. Somebody has to hold down the fort while Reimold is in remedial hitting class for a few weeks.

Good Lord folks... Really? Don't you see what this is? They're recharging his batteries so he doesn't have to do it under the microscope. He'll be back in so little time he doesn't use an option if he gets his swing together.

If you are correct about this, I can't argue with that. And you will be correct if Nolan does his part.

Stupid move...As I said in the other post...he is 6 for his 20 with a double, homer and 2 walks...In that time frame, he has upped all of his stats pretty significantly...he is walking at a rate of over 11%...His BABIP is a very unlucky 241 but he does have a poor LD%.

If he is hurt, DL him...If he isn't, play him 5 days a week up here, either at DH or LF.

Moose,

Look at his last 50 at bats. He isn't hitting ANYTHING even slightly hard. AJ and Luke are hitting the ball much more solidly than Nolan which is kind of a scary thing to say. I'd say that the coaches have been able to detect a loss of confidence so they're trying to head it off before it goes too far.

So the Homerun he hit on May 5th wasn't hit "even slightly hard"? Hyperbole much?

That being said I have no issue with them sending Nolan down to fix his swing. They do need to just make him a DH for the rest of the season and have him work on being able to play a defensive position at an adequate level next year.

Stupid move...As I said in the other post...he is 6 for his 20 with a double, homer and 2 walks...In that time frame, he has upped all of his stats pretty significantly...he is walking at a rate of over 11%...His BABIP is a very unlucky 241 but he does have a poor LD%.

If he is hurt, DL him...If he isn't, play him 5 days a week up here, either at DH or LF.

So there is no chance that hitting at AAA can help him get back to hitting like he should be quicker than continuing to try things up here with plummeting confidence would?

Things don't have to be optimal to be good. Sending Reimold down if his confidence is down is a good move. Maybe Jones or Scott should have been sent down instead, but that doesn't mean Reimold didn't deserve to go down and can't benefit tremendously from some time at AAA.

So the Homerun he hit on May 5th wasn't hit "even slightly hard"? Hyperbole much?

That being said I have no issue with them sending Nolan down to fix his swing. They do need to just make him a DH for the rest of the season and have him work on being able to play a defensive position at an adequate level next year.

Wow, nice pull. 1 out of 50 ain't bad.

Archived