Reimold is going to Norfolk

TravelerRU

I'm reading between the lines with DT's confidence issues remark. I think besides working on his fielding, this business with the pregnent ex may truly be a big distraction.

Wait whaaa? Pregnant ex? Is there a scandal on Reimold in Baltimore that I didn't hear about?

Regardless, if it's to get Reimold regular playing time- I'm sure they told him that, and it's the right move. NO way I can believe it's an endorsement of Montanez as the better player.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sort of like the start Bergesen had in Seattle before being sent down. He was worse in previous starts, and if he had just gotten shellacked and been mentally ok, he likely wouldn't have been sent down. But it looked like he was going to have a breakdown out there and after the game. Sometimes you need to give a player a mental break as well. I don't think Reimold looked anywhere near as visibly languished as Bergesen did, but if they saw that from him after the game or in the dugout, then sending him down is a good decision.

I think it's pretty different for a hitter...with a pitcher you have to sit on your last crappy performance for 4-5 days and let it stew. Have a few rough starts like Bergesen did and it's just that much worse. You can't get back out there the next day and try to recover.

With a hitter, you can. Maybe it's a double edged sword as a slump can get compounded over a week or two and snowball...maybe it's easier for pitchers to get over things because they have the time to do it.

I guess what I'm saying is that Reimold was a 3-4 night away from getting some swagger back. Perhaps the send down will do him some good but I'd rather see him iron it out here with some consistent at bats and faith from DT by putting him in the lineup every day.

Since this has been posted, I hate the move a little less...I'm alright with it. A lot of good points have been brought up here.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong - but is it even possible to send Scott down without his permission? My impression was that it isn't.
It is. A player needs 5 years of service time to be able to refuse a AAA assignment. Scott had 3.144 coming into the year, so he's still well under that. I don't know if he has any options available or not, so he may be subject to waivers if they try to send him down.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong - but is it even possible to send Scott down without his permission? My impression was that it isn't.

Any player with 5 years or more of ML service time, a team has to get a players permission to be optioned. Scott has less than 5 years of ML service time, so yes he could be optioned to the minors.

An option (optional assignment) allows a club to move a player on its 40-man roster to and from the minor leagues without exposing him to the other 29 teams.

After 4 or 5 years as a professional, a player must be added to his club’s 40-man roster or exposed to the 29 other clubs in the Rule 5 draft. (A club has 5 years to evaluate a player who signs his first pro contract at 18 years old or younger, but only 4 years to decide on a player who signs at age 19.) For purposes of calculating years as a pro, the counting begins the day a player signs his first pro contract, not the season he begins to play.

When a player is added to the 40-man roster, his club has three “options,” or three separate seasons during which the club may to move him to and from the minor leagues without exposing him to other clubs. A player on the 40-man roster playing in the minors is on optional assignment, and within an option season, there is no limit on the number of times a club may demote and recall a player. However, a player optioned to the minor leagues may not be recalled for at least 10 days, unless the club places a Major League player on the disabled list during the 10-day window.

After three options are exhausted, the player is out of options. Beginning with the next season, he must clear waivers before he may be sent to the minors again. See Waivers. Additionally, a player with 5 years of Major League service may not be sent to the minor leagues on an optional assignment without his consent.

source

It did for me. I don't EVER want to see a young player look mentally overmatched. I saw that from Reimold last night.

The head hanging down hangdog look is definitely not something you want to see from someone who you are wanting to pull themselves out of a slump.

Jones looked A LOT better last night. He is my pick to click tonight. :mwahaha:

Seriously hope so - on a team of continual frustrations a lot of AJ's at bats have been on top of the list.

It is. A player needs 5 years of service time to be able to refuse a AAA assignment. Scott had 3.144 coming into the year, so he's still well under that. I don't know if he has any options available or not, so he may be subject to waivers if they try to send him down.

Thanks for the info. So - does Luke have options - and if not how many here think Scott goes through waivers unclaimed?

In three or four weeks we will be talking about how Reimold got his groove back.

vatech owns this thread.

The only reason Reimold has looked better than Jones at the plate this year is that despite his slump he still hasn't swung at bad pitches. He just isn't hitting the good ones.

I know the O's aren't really thinking about Super 2 at all with Reimold. But I thought they called him up 2 weeks earlier than the Super 2 deadline last year. This pretty much assures that he will not reach Super 2.

Guess there is a bright side.

In three or four weeks we will be talking about how Reimold got his groove back.

vatech owns this thread.

The only reason Reimold has looked better than Jones at the plate this year is that despite his slump he still hasn't swung at bad pitches. He just isn't hitting the good ones.

So Reimold is in a slump - you send him down because he's in a slump and is just now getting consistent playing time? Or, as VaTech stated "He is doing a good job working the count and getting a good pitch to hit, but he isn't hitting anything squarely, although VT's point was wrong which was "he is lost at the plate." Working the count, waiting for a good pitch to hit and going for that good pitch is not the definition of "being lost at the plate." Not hitting the ball squarely usually means timing/mechanical issues that usually can be worked out by more playing time and is one of the major reasons for slumps. Sure, he could "get his groove back in Norfolk", but he should have been given a real shot in Baltimore. Come on, then Mark Texeira needs to be sent down - he isn't hitting the balll squarely either nor is Chone Figgins and a host of other so-called established players. :rolleyes:

Also, rumors have been swirling in the media that Reimold was a good candidate to be sent to Norfolk from the GM no less - how would that affect your confidence, particularly when you always seem to hear these type of things in the media and you were jerked around in the MiLs to such an extent that the national media were openly questioning why Reimold was still in AA? For crying out loud, Reimold had to request a meeting with Trembley on his role before Opening Day because he learned through the media he wouldn't be starting. This is absolutely the worse way to treat anyone, and I am fed up with this. And to all you guys up in arms when Trembley "singled out " Pie - where are you now?

What a confidence builder this is - sent down because you probably are starting to press because there are strong rumors that you are going to be sent down. I don't believe the BS about this is about Reimold's "confidence". The absolute worst thing that you can do to some one who has confidence issues is to question their confidence and call them out publicly.

You know what I think - Reimold is the current scapegoat for mismanagement by Trembley and the horrendous off season by McPhail. This is McPhail's line-up, except Markakis (Wieters is half his although I give the signing to Angelos really). Atkins and Lugo should be released. Corey Patterson is terrible - he can't hit and he sometimes can't field. Wigginton is hitting, but, his fielding leaves much to be desired and he won't continue the power surge (IIRC, a 36% HR rate from his fly balls - unsustainable). Tejada is replacement level - he is the best of this off season acquisitions - telling ain't it? Scott is in one of his cold cold streaks - a very streaky player no doubt about it - so why does he stay?

Jones - better candidate to be sent down cause he can't hit, field or throw this year and he has been playing consistently (though he has been miscast as well). Jones has regressed - Stotle was right - the Orioles have done a horrific job in his development. Jones is the one lost at the plate. He has shown in his entire MiL and ML career poor plate discipline and pitch recognition. Sure, he can hit a fastball with authority, but he flails at that outside in the dirt sh**t that everyone who is paying attention will throw him and he mostly doesn't seem to be able to recognize that CB. But guess what? Jones is one of the keys to the "great" Erik Bedard trade and a McPhail player, so no way he goes down.

Cliff Lee was hittable last night - this was not the WS Cliff Lee. Wieters and Wigginton are the two culprits that let Lee off the ropes. Many have commented on Wieters empty BA - I agree, his ground ball rate is increasing tremendously, and he seems to be striking out more often, but, he had a hot start, so his BA is still reasonably good. But, his recent ABs have looked much worse than Reimold's. :rolleyes:

Also, as Roch stated, why was it Hernandez (let alone the pitching coach and heaven forbid the manager) and not the catcher who calls the pitches and was not shaken off, responsible for "getting away from his fast ball"? Another scape goat for Trembley and McPhail, IMOP. For what it is worth, I supported both until these two young players were thrown under the bus, and I am fed up.

Trembley and McPhail are in the CYA mode. As that SI article stated, McPhail's plan has a big flaw, you don't go cheap with replacement level and has been players to surround your young prospects. SG is right I believe that McPhail can not build a winner in the AL East because he is too cautious, afraid of a big mistake and will not spend what it takes to get those very good to great players that are necessary in order to compete against the big three. Flame away all you want. Bottom line, I hope Reimold isn't harmed by what Trembley/McPhail have wrought and he again makes them put him back in the line-up full time or trade him to a team like Boston, or the Rays - they sure could use him and will.

vatech owns this thread.

And it may or may not have anything to do with him going back to the minors.

But the only thing that matters is results, right? Not causation?

Sure the results are what matters...But he is getting those results right now..in the majors.

That's why it may not matter about going to the minors.

And over 12 years, results trump everything...but keep it up..maybe you will start to make sense at some point..maybe.

So Reimold is in a slump - you send him down because he's in a slump and is just now getting consistent playing time? Or, as VaTech stated "He is doing a good job working the count and getting a good pitch to hit, but he isn't hitting anything squarely, although VT's point was wrong which was "he is lost at the plate." Working the count, waiting for a good pitch to hit and going for that good pitch is not the definition of "being lost at the plate." Not hitting the ball squarely usually means timing/mechanical issues that usually can be worked out by more playing time and is one of the major reasons for slumps. Sure, he could "get his groove back in Norfolk", but he should have been given a real shot in Baltimore. Come on, then Mark Texeira needs to be sent down - he isn't hitting the balll squarely either nor is Chone Figgins and a host of other so-called established players. :rolleyes:

Also, rumors have been swirling in the media that Reimold was a good candidate to be sent to Norfolk from the GM no less - how would that affect your confidence, particularly when you always seem to hear these type of things in the media and you were jerked around in the MiLs to such an extent that the national media were openly questioning why Reimold was still in AA? For crying out loud, Reimold had to request a meeting with Trembley on his role before Opening Day because he learned through the media he wouldn't be starting. This is absolutely the worse way to treat anyone, and I am fed up with this. And to all you guys up in arms when Trembley "singled out " Pie - where are you now?

What a confidence builder this is - sent down because you probably are starting to press because there are strong rumors that you are going to be sent down. I don't believe the BS about this is about Reimold's "confidence". The absolute worst thing that you can do to some one who has confidence issues is to question their confidence and call them out publicly.

You know what I think - Reimold is the current scapegoat for mismanagement by Trembley and the horrendous off season by McPhail. This is McPhail's line-up, except Markakis (Wieters is half his although I give the signing to Angelos really). Atkins and Lugo should be released. Corey Patterson is terrible - he can't hit and he sometimes can't field. Wigginton is hitting, but, his fielding leaves much to be desired and he won't continue the power surge (IIRC, a 36% HR rate from his fly balls - unsustainable). Tejada is replacement level - he is the best of this off season acquisitions - telling ain't it? Scott is in one of his cold cold streaks - a very streaky player no doubt about it - so why does he stay?

Jones - better candidate to be sent down cause he can't hit, field or throw this year and he has been playing consistently (though he has been miscast as well). Jones has regressed - Stotle was right - the Orioles have done a horrific job in his development. Jones is the one lost at the plate. He has shown in his entire MiL and ML career poor plate discipline and pitch recognition. Sure, he can hit a fastball with authority, but he flails at that outside in the dirt sh**t that everyone who is paying attention will throw him and he mostly doesn't seem to be able to recognize that CB. But guess what? Jones is one of the keys to the "great" Erik Bedard trade and a McPhail player, so no way he goes down.

Cliff Lee was hittable last night - this was not the WS Cliff Lee. Wieters and Wigginton are the two culprits that let Lee off the ropes. Many have commented on Wieters empty BA - I agree, his ground ball rate is increasing tremendously, and he seems to be striking out more often, but, he had a hot start, so his BA is still reasonably good. But, his recent ABs have looked much worse than Reimold's. :rolleyes:

Also, as Roch stated, why was it Hernandez (let alone the pitching coach and heaven forbid the manager) and not the catcher who calls the pitches and was not shaken off, responsible for "getting away from his fast ball"? Another scape goat for Trembley and McPhail, IMOP. For what it is worth, I supported both until these two young players were thrown under the bus, and I am fed up.

Trembley and McPhail are in the CYA mode. As that SI article stated, McPhail's plan has a big flaw, you don't go cheap with replacement level and has been players to surround your young prospects. SG is right I believe that McPhail can not build a winner in the AL East because he is too cautious, afraid of a big mistake and will not spend what it takes to get those very good to great players that are necessary in order to compete against the big three. Flame away all you want. Bottom line, I hope Reimold isn't harmed by what Trembley/McPhail have wrought and he again makes them put him back in the line-up full time or trade him to a team like Boston, or the Rays - they sure could use him and will.

Someone went to the Ooriole28 School of Baseball Analysis.

Archived