PG Mock Draft

Perfect Game put out a new mock draft today.

I found it interesting due to some players sliding up or down more than I expected - compared to most mocks I've seen so far. One of the surprises was who they have the O's taking... Chris Sale, lhp, Florida Gulf Coast

1. WASHINGTON NATIONALS

Bryce Harper, c, College of Southern Nevada

2. PITTSBURGH PIRATES

Drew Pomerenz, lhp, University of Mississippi

3. BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Chris Sale, lhp, Florida Gulf Coast

4. KANSAS CITY ROYALS

Jameson Taillon, rhp, The Woodlands (Texas) HS

5. CLEVELAND INDIANS

Yasmani Grandal, c, University of Miami

6. ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS

Manny Machado, ss, Brito HS, Miami

7. NEW YORK METS

Christian Colon, ss, Cal State Fullerton

8. HOUSTON ASTROS

Zach Cox, 3b, University of Arkansas

9. SAN DIEGO PADRES

Karsten Whitson, rhp, Chipley (Fla.) HS

10. OAKLAND A’s

Deck McGuire, rhp, Georgia Tech

11. TORONTO BLUE JAYS

Dylan Covey, rhp, Maranatha HS, Pasadena, Calif.

12. CINCINNATI REDS

Anthony Ranaudo, rhp, Louisiana State University

13. CHICAGO WHITE SOX

Brandon Workman, rhp, University of Texas

14. MILWAUKEE BREWERS

Michael Choice, of, University of Texas-Arlington

15. TEXAS RANGERS (for not signing Matt Purke in 2009)

A.J. Cole, rhp, Oviedo (Fla.) HS

16. CHICAGO CUBS

Matt Harvey, rhp, University of North Carolina

17. TAMPA BAY RAYS

Nick Castellanos, 3b, Archbishop McCarthy HS, Southwest Ranches, Fla.

18. LOS ANGELES ANGELS (from Seattle for Chone Figgins)

Austin Wilson, of, Harvard-Westlake HS, Los Angeles

19. HOUSTON ASTROS (from Detroit for Jose Valverde)

Bryce Brentz, of, Middle Tennessee State University

20. BOSTON RED SOX (from Atlanta for Billy Wagner)

Stetson Allie, rhp, St. Edwards HS, Lakewood, Ohio

21. MINNESOTA TWINS

Asher Wojciechowski, rhp, The Citadel

22. TEXAS RANGERS

Zach Lee, rhp, McKinney (Texas)

23. FLORIDA MARLINS

Aaron Sanchez, rhp, Barstow (Calif.) HS

24. SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS

Gary Brown, of, Cal State Fullerton

25. ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

Jesse Hahn, rhp, Virginia Tech

26. COLORADO ROCKIES

Brett Eibner, of-rhp, University of Arkansas

27. PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

Kaleb Cowart, rhp-3b, Cook HS, Adel, Ga.

28. LOS ANGELES DODGERS

Sammy Solis, lhp, University of San Diego

29. LOS ANGELES ANGELS (from Boston for John Lackey)

Alex Wimmers, rhp, Ohio State University

30. LOS ANGELES ANGELS

Kellin Deglan, c, R.E. Mountain HS, Langley, BC

31. TAMPA BAY RAYS (for not signing LeVon Washington in 2009)

Justin O’Conner, ss-c-rhp, Cowan HS, Muncie, Ind.

32. NEW YORK YANKEES

Josh Sale, of, Bishop Blanchet HS, Seattle

note: if you follow the link to the actual mock draft, there are comments accompanying each pick.

Perfect Game put out a new mock draft today.

I found it interesting due to some players sliding up or down more than I expected - compared to most mocks I've seen so far. One of the surprises was who they have the O's taking... Chris Sale, lhp, Florida Gulf Coast

note: if you follow the link to the actual mock draft, there are comments accompanying each pick.

I wouldn't be disappointed with Chris Sale at all. That said, if we take him over Taillon (provided the latter is still on the board), I'll question whether we selected him instead due to "signability."

I wouldn't be disappointed with Chris Sale at all. That said, if we take him over Taillon (provided the latter is still on the board), I'll question whether we selected him instead due to "signability."

I think that would be a common reaction, especially since Sale comes from a smaller college conference - which, to clarify, I think influences the perception of his overall talent, not his signability.

Not impressed. Seems like a little bit educated guess, a little bit throwing darts at a board and a little bit college bias. Just my opinion though.

I think that any mock draft done right now has some "dart throwing" in it. It's more of a conversational topic than a straight-faced prediction.

Having said that, I'm not saying he thinks that so-and-so is linked to so-and-so, but the comments that go with these picks make me think that most of these picks are pretty well thought out. There are a few college picks here that I'm surprised to see that high, namely Gary Brown, and the overall split is slightly in favor of the 4 year college players, but I didn't think it was that bad. He makes a good point when he says that there are only so many teams willing to pay a lot to high school arms in the 1st round (esp. RHers - the strength of this draft), so I think we could see some of them slide down a little.

If there is a bias towards college players, I'd consider it a little ironic coming from PG, who makes me think "high school coverage" first. Although, if this mock is the work of just this one guy, I guess it would have to be considered apart from the rest of PG's work. :noidea:

EDIT: I just looked at BA's updated top 50 draft prospects, issued today, and they have Gary Brown at #15 overall, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised to see him in the 1st round. Maybe my thoughts of him being more of a supplemental guy are outdated.

2 other shockers for me: Whitson at #16 & Allie at #6. I'm not a big fan of Allie.

I was just on the phone with PG today, very nice people...

I disagree with Rawnsley's views at this juncture, despite being as talented as he is.

I have reason to believe the Orioles will take Taillon at three if he is still there.

I hope your belief is correct.

When you said you had reason to believe the Orioles were taking Taillon I thought maybe you had inside information. You must know something.

I see. I normally choose my words more carefully... my apologies. It is certainly not 'inside' information, but rather an awareness of certain things that give me a solid indication that the O's will take Taillon at three- if he is still available. :)

I feel like a dentist. Are these certain things, things you can't share with the board for some reason?

Right, I cannot share anything more... for reasons I prefer not to get into. Cue the espionage music. :D

As I look back at that post, I realize it was something I decided on sharing 'spur of the moment'. I am not normally apt to such decisions. :o

FWIW...Sale's stats

Player ERA W-L APP GS CG SHO/CBO SV IP H R ER BB SO 2B 3B HR AB B/Avg WP HBP BK

SALE, Chris, FGCU.... 1.95 8-0 14 12 2 2/1 2 83.0 65 22 18 12 114 8 0 4 307 .212 6 5 1

Sale is a legitimate figure in the decision-making of the teams at the very top (Top 5) of the draft.

I like Sale, but not necessarily for our pick at #3. If we were to take him, and pass over a more highly-rated prospect, then it wouldn't be nearly the same as the Hobgood surprise, but could still present me with some real serious concerns.

Regardless, very solid prospect. :)

Who do you think we'll take if Harper and Taillon go 1 and 2?

That's a very good question. As per usual, the draft board doesn't always accurately predict what some teams will do- including the O's.

With that being said, and under your scenario, I think the O's would choose Miami (FL) high school shortstop Manny Machado. But there are valid reasons to believe the Pirates could pass over Taillon. One can hope.

Archived