Rangers "open" to dealing Chris Davis or Justin Smoak?

ChaosLex

Have the Rangers found their long-term first baseman in Justin Smoak?The Rangers have a long-term first baseman. Still not sure if it’s Smoak or Chris Davis. Right now, it's Smoak's job to lose. But as I said, this team is going to have to consider dealing a first baseman at the deadline. Some clubs might prefer Smoak's hitting ability over Davis' defense and raw power. Think the 1B of the future may depend on who the Rangers' potential trade partner might prefer.
Would the Rangers trade away Smoak to make room for Chris Davis’s return? If the Rangers were to trade Smoak, it would not be to "clear" room for Davis. It would be because another team wouldn't come off its demand for Smoak in order to do a deal with the Rangers for the player the club thinks could put it over the top.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/051410dnspograntchatbreakdown2.3ee76d2.html

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do we have a player that could put the Rangers over the top? I doubt it, unfortunately.

Davis would be a nice consolation prize though.

Davis would definitely be worth a shot to acquire. At this point, the asking price is probably too high. Just a feeling I have from reading that article and how people in that area talk about Davis, even though he's injured now (I think) and hasn't done much this year in limited time.

Do we have a player that could put the Rangers over the top? I doubt it, unfortunately.

Davis would be a nice consolation prize though.

We have solid starting pitching... Most of it young...Something the Rangers always seem to need.

The Rangers have another first base prospect as well IIRC.

What would the Rangers want to trade Smoak?

Would they need someone established?

If Smoak is available, AM needs to try and make the deal happen. I would much rather trade a huge package of players for him, even though he is a Boras client, than for a guy like AGon.

So who do you want to trade for him? Tillman? Davis does not impress me that much.

I prefer Smoak & would trade Tillman if need be. They more than likely want a established SP. Someone on the roster Millwood/Guthrie/Bergy & another player. I wouldnt trade Tillman for Davis. IMO it would be a lesser deal.

I have zero interest in Davis, but think it would be hilarious MacPhail followed up his so-called mistake of drafting Matusz instead of Smoak by teaming them up in black & orange.

Wouldn't trade Adam Jones for him though, NFW.

Archived