Too much negativism every time we lose

Frobby

The latter.

Slow weekend. A rarity for me...

I understand. It's always nice to have a slow weekend to drink some lemonade, watch gamecast and post a little on the Hangout while hanging out on the porch swing. The smell of freshly cut grass being blown around by the cool breeze of a spring weekend. Nice!

Considering the time you spent here posting the weekend that we lost a couple of games in Boston April 23-25 must have been a slow weekend too.

Amazing how that is working for you ;)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Losing sucks way more than winning is nice. I hate losing a lot more than I like going 3-3 on a homestand against cruddy teams. One loss bothers me more than winning two games in a row makes me happy. It is just the way it is for some of us. Can we respect this?

By the same token, some people may get more gratification from winning a game than disappointment from losing a game. We can let those people celebrate the win.

If the Hangout was alive in 97 (was it? infancy stages??), I can all but guarantee that the tenor of this board would have been drastically different. (This is not without exceptions ;) )

Bottom line, we are 12-26. We need 3 out of 4's and sweeps. Especially from the goober teams.

Losing sucks way more than winning is nice. I hate losing a lot more than I like going 3-3 on a homestand against cruddy teams. One loss bothers me more than winning two games in a row makes me happy. It is just the way it is for some of us. Can we respect this?

By the same token, some people may get more gratification from winning a game than disappointment from losing a game. We can let those people celebrate the win.

If the Hangout was alive in 97 (was it? infancy stages??), I can all but guarantee that the tenor of this board would have been drastically different. (This is not without exceptions ;) )

Bottom line, we are 12-26. We need 3 out of 4's and sweeps. Especially from the goober teams.

The more I think about this team, though, the more I think we are a goober team as well.

Frobby, you are one of my favorite posters. But, I'm not with you on this one. There are too many posters who cry over others being negative. We are negative because we lose, and losing sucks. And personally, I only see a very small light at the end of this tunnel.

The good news of course is that you see the light!

Congrats!;)

Of course you are absolutely right. But yesterday's loss was particularly ignominious. DT out did himself, leaving no options in case Simon blew the save. As could have been expected, as you say.

That is ridiculous. I guess he should never DH Wieters then just in case Tatum gets hurt or thrown out?

That is ridiculous. I guess he should never DH Wieters then just in case Tatum gets hurt or thrown out?

Dude, sorry but that has nothing to do with what Trembley did the other night. He used 3 different pitchers to get 3 outs, against the Indians, that's just stupid. Albers threw one pitch and got an out, so why not let him face the next batter? What if he could have gotten through that inning without giving up a run? Then you have Simon, who is the logical choice to start the ninth, but once he gets in trouble you can bring in Koji or Ohman. I think it's pretty logical that that would have been the better decision.

Honestly, people, every time we lose a game there's so much negativism here. News flash - even the optimists think we won't be much more than a .500-ish team from here on out -- that means we'll probably lose another 60+ times even if things go well. We can't get suicidal or overly dramatic every time it happens.

As to Simon, he's simply not going to be that consistent. He has an 83 percent save rate now - get used to it. That's about what Jorge Julio did in his years as our closer. So don't jump off a bridge if he blows one every 2-4 weeks.

The team is 10-9 its last 19 games, but a lot of folks seem to think we're stlll playing .111 baseball. Forget the bad start, and forget about making up for it by playing like we are a great team. Just avoid any long losing streaks going forward and see how the year goes.

Seems like with RShack on a vacation there are numerous posters ready to take his spot. Really, what's the point of this thread, Frobby?

Amazing how easy it is to be all "there's too much negativity" when you didn't watch the game. You should know as well as anyone that fans are more emotionally attached when they actually watch the game.

Honestly, I'm getting tired of these threads and posts. People are negative about Saturday nights game because Simon and Merideth blew a win for Matusz, allowed eight runs after the Indians were shutdown for 8 innings, blew a three-game winning streak, blew a guarenteed series win, and generally punched every fan who watching the game in the gut.

Dude, sorry but that has nothing to do with what Trembley did the other night. He used 3 different pitchers to get 3 outs, against the Indians, that's just stupid. Albers threw one pitch and got an out, so why not let him face the next batter? What if he could have gotten through that inning without giving up a run? Then you have Simon, who is the logical choice to start the ninth, but once he gets in trouble you can bring in Koji or Ohman. I think it's pretty logical that that would have been the better decision.

Because he didn't. Those moves had no effect on SIMON blowing the save in the ninth. We didn't lose the game in the eighth, we lost it in the ninth.

Now if you want to argue that Trembely should not have brought in Simon we can have that debate. But if you are honestly saying that Trembley should be holding on to pitchers in case his closer flunks out (I guess Meredith doesn't count) is ridiculous.

Because he didn't. Those moves had no effect on SIMON blowing the save in the ninth. We didn't lose the game in the eighth, we lost it in the ninth.

Now if you want to argue that Trembely should not have brought in Simon we can have that debate. But if you are honestly saying that Trembley should be holding on to pitchers in case his closer flunks out (I guess Meredith doesn't count) is ridiculous.

Again, I'm sorry but I just don't agree with the decision to use 3 relievers to get 3 outs. I was surprised to see Albers used in such a close game, but after he gets an out on ONE pitch. ONE PITCH. Why not leave him out there? This is the biggest problem I have with Dave Trembley. Countless times. Countless times, in the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th when we have relievers in the game, a right-handed reliever will be cruising, then Trembley takes him out for Jamie Walker, Alberto Castillo, or Will Ohman in order to get his favorite Lefty v. Lefty matchup. Guess what happens all too often: the lefty gives up a homer, a walk, a base-hit. The point is that if someone is successful let them continue, why take Albers out? Honestly, until he gave up a base hit/walk he should have been allowed to finish the eighth, which would have saved two pitchers for the ninth. Not on purpose, but just by not being stupid. I don't see the logic in using three pitchers to get three outs. I believe that the more pitchers you use, the more likely you will see one of them fail (you are more likely to find a pitcher having an off-night). I just hate the way that he uses the bullpen in general, it makes me mad to be honest and when he uses it that way it seems to fail a lot.

Keeping it positive after a couple of losses -- I didn't have to watch BAL because I was at an incredibly well-played double-header down in Charlottesville that included great pitching from likely future 1st Rounders Matt Harvey and Danny Hultzen, and another potential top 150 guy in Robert Morey. Great defense and some impressive ABs also from the UVA OF (Grovatt, Parker and Gosselin). Then, today, I got to see VaTech starter Jesse Hahn in his first start in almost a month down in Blacksburg, together with potential Top 50 selection, OF Austin Wates. My advice to O's fans who want to experience wonderful baseball weekends -- watch college baseball until mid-June, then switch over to the Bigs. I promise you aren't missing anything in BAL in April/May (not meant to be negative, just a statement of fact).

Keeping it positive after a couple of losses -- I didn't have to watch BAL because I was at an incredibly well-played double-header down in Charlottesville that included great pitching from likely future 1st Rounders Matt Harvey and Danny Hultzen, and another potential top 150 guy in Robert Morey. Great defense and some impressive ABs also from the UVA OF (Grovatt, Parker and Gosselin). Then, today, I got to see VaTech starter Jesse Hahn in his first start in almost a month down in Blacksburg, together with potential Top 50 selection, OF Austin Wates. My advice to O's fans who want to experience wonderful baseball weekends -- watch college baseball until mid-June, then switch over to the Bigs. I promise you aren't missing anything in BAL in April/May (not meant to be negative, just a statement of fact).

How did Hahn look? He's missed several starts due to kidney stones as well as some arm soreness. Glad to see him get back on the mound before the ACC tournament.

Again, I'm sorry but I just don't agree with the decision to use 3 relievers to get 3 outs. I was surprised to see Albers used in such a close game, but after he gets an out on ONE pitch. ONE PITCH. Why not leave him out there? This is the biggest problem I have with Dave Trembley. Countless times. Countless times, in the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th when we have relievers in the game, a right-handed reliever will be cruising, then Trembley takes him out for Jamie Walker, Alberto Castillo, or Will Ohman in order to get his favorite Lefty v. Lefty matchup. Guess what happens all too often: the lefty gives up a homer, a walk, a base-hit. The point is that if someone is successful let them continue, why take Albers out? Honestly, until he gave up a base hit/walk he should have been allowed to finish the eighth, which would have saved two pitchers for the ninth. Not on purpose, but just by not being stupid. I don't see the logic in using three pitchers to get three outs. I believe that the more pitchers you use, the more likely you will see one of them fail (you are more likely to find a pitcher having an off-night). I just hate the way that he uses the bullpen in general, it makes me mad to be honest and when he uses it that way it seems to fail a lot.

I don't see the logic in it either, but he did it and that hasn't really been a problem this year. I am sure that Dave has some sort of reason for it but the argument is totally moot because that had no impact whatsoever on Simon blowing a save in the ninth.

The bullpen has been failing a lot this year because for the first month the key members of it were hurt. Notice since Ohman, Koji and Albers have settled into their roles the pen has been A LOT better?

The argument is that he overmanaged the 8th inning and used 3 relievers where he could have gotten by with one. I guess that is saving pitchers. Some of us don't think that's a bad thing. It's not the reason Simon blew the save. However, it could have limited the damage to maybe just the 4 runs. Also, suppose Kearns had just hit a single. It would have been nice to have Uehara or Ohman availalbe to try and hold things down. Is that crazy or farfetched?

But shouldn't Meredith, the last time I checked a major league pitcher, be able to do the same thing? I mean he hadn't given up a run since April 11th before Saturday night!

I don't see the logic in it either, but he did it and that hasn't really been a problem this year. I am sure that Dave has some sort of reason for it but the argument is totally moot because that had no impact whatsoever on Simon blowing a save in the ninth.

The bullpen has been failing a lot this year because for the first month the key members of it were hurt. Notice since Ohman, Koji and Albers have settled into their roles the pen has been A LOT better?

Oh I agree the bullpen has improved, but that's the pieces improving, and getting Koji healthy which doesn't have much to do with the way Trembley uses the bullpen. I see where your coming from, and I know that deep down it doesn't have a huge impact on this specific game, however, I just don't feel that Trembley utilizes the bullpen in the most efficient manner. I'm only using last night as an example since it's so fresh. If I had the time I'd go back and find countless others... I just think that roles are overrated, especially if you're just a mediocre team like us you need to go outside of those roles or disregard them every once in a while (let Albers finish the 8th, what if he only throws 10 pitches? Let him start the ninth, he has five days rest, once he allows a base runner throw Simon in there).

Archived