Remember all that crap we talked about Toronto?

NewMarketSean

And how the future was so much bright for the Orioles? We started saying this around the time of the Tejada and Bedard trade right after the 2007 season, and up until the last offseason.

Yet, I don't see anything changing any time soon.

The Blue Jays are 22-16 after TRADING Roy Halladay and finally getting BJ Ryan off the books, and they are just 2 games behind the Yankees and 4 behind the Rays.

In the last 5 seasons, they have had 3 winning seasons and 2 losing seasons (one included an 80-82 record, something us O's fans would be ecstatic about).

I know the Blue Jays are one of those teams that usually start off hot and then fade over the course of the season (they did it last year), and from the looks of who they've played, they have played a much easier schedule than the Orioles. But the point here is, they are better off than the Orioles -- and look to be for some time.

What happened? We are all certain at one point that the BJ's would become our cushion in the AL East, but it never happened.

They also are known to fall off big time in the 2nd half of seasons.

Was it two or three years ago when they were in 1st at the AS break?

I know this, but I am talking about TOR vs. BAL right now.

They have been able to post winning seasons in the AL East over the last few years. The O's have been sinking more and more each year.

Whether they fade in the second half or not, they are able to be competitive year in and year out with smoke and mirrors.

The Jays have some nice pieces, but are still very weak on the farm. And their power numbers this season, while impressive, are not exactly from the guys whom I would consider to be long-term fixtures.

SS Alex Gonzalez (33yrs old) and 3B Jose Bautista are having uncharacteristic power years. Remove the homers, and they bring little to the offensive table. C John Buck has never hit this well. And prior to the season, Vernon Wells appeared to be the worst contract in the league.

2B Aaron Hill, Snider and Lind (although both probably best at DH), Wallace are good ballplayers. Once you take these fluky veteran performances out of the equation, and look another year, two years out...do they really have the necessary offensive pieces? Seems like more holes than the O's.

Romero and Cecil are good young starting pitching. I have no idea how Marcum does it, but he's for real as well. Morrow has talent but has yet to achieve results. Maybe MacGawon can come back. But their bullpen has nothing (Hey, did anyone notice Rommie Lewis in the Jays 'pen?).

In breaking down the roster, the Jays still have a lot of glaring holes, without much in potential from the minor leagues to backfill. In contrast, pundits and Hangouters see the youth and potential (yes, it is hardly manifesting itself so far in 2010) that stretches across most of the diamond.

I know this, but I am talking about TOR vs. BAL right now.

They have been able to post winning seasons in the AL East over the last few years. The O's have been sinking more and more each year.

Whether they fade in the second half or not, they are able to be competitive year in and year out with smoke and mirrors.

It has always been my contention that the Orioles need to build a team that is essentially superior man per man to Toronto before they can ever hope to compete with the big boys in the division. Yet, they never do it.:(

From ESPN's Rob Neyer's blog post "Are the Jays really this good?"

From the ol' mailbag today:

Rob- any thoughts on the Jays? They have been one of the hottest teams the past month yet it remains a struggle to get any air time from ESPN. I recognize that it is early, and they will likely not end up contending by season's end but what does it take to at least get a blog?? Some great stories here around some young pitching, Wells re emergence and Cito all of a sudden looking like a genious again.

- Regan (Toronto)

The Jays' hitting is full of bizarre anomalies, not so surprising considering that we're still in May. John Buck, Alex Gonzalez, and Jose Bautista are all out of their minds, while Lyle Overbay, Aaron Hill, and Adam Lind are all hitting below their weight (which essentially works only if you play first base for the Brewers). I should probably throw Vernon Wells in there somewhere, too, if only because .627 seems like a fairly high slugging percentage even for a player with such obvious talents. Travis Snider might be the only guy in the lineup who's reasonably close to pegging his projections.

Leaving all that aside, the Jays are second in the league in scoring but have the 10th-best on-base percentage, and I'm not real sure that's a combination with much long-term viability. Which means the Jays' overall performance probably isn't sustainable, either. The big story has been Shaun Marcum and Ricky Romero, and there are certainly good reasons to think they both are (or will become) fine major league pitchers. But the rest of the rotation is loaded with question marks, as Dana Eveland doesn't strike out enough guys, Brandon Morrow walks too many guys, and Brett Cecil feeds too many gophers (so far, anyway).

I wish I had better news, Regan. But I just don't see these Jays as better than a .500 team, and I think they're probably more likely to finish below than above

The first 40 games last year the Blue Jays were 26-14. They finished 75-87. They are playing well, but it remains to be seen how long they can keep it up.

Could you imagine what this board would ever be like if the Orioles started out 26-14? Some folks would be putting in their order for World Series tickets no doubt!:laughlol:

Could you imagine what this board would ever be like if the Orioles started out 26-14? Some folks would be putting in their order for World Series tickets no doubt!:laughlol:

Just like the way you and some others sound after one loss or a poor start?

The first 40 games last year the Blue Jays were 26-14. They finished 75-87. They are playing well, but it remains to be seen how long they can keep it up.

This thread was never about the Blue Jays willing the division or making the wild card. It is the BJ's vs. the O's. We all thought they would be the perennial doormat after 2007 and they have been competitive for the last 5 years while the Orioles have only gotten worse.

This thread was never about the Blue Jays willing the division or making the wild card. It is the BJ's vs. the O's. We all thought they would be the perennial doormat after 2007 and they have been competitive for the last 5 years while the Orioles have only gotten worse.

I don't remember expecting them to be the doormat after 2007. I do remember expecting them to be the doormat this year.

Just as the Orioles can't possibly be as bad as their current record suggests, the Blue Jays likely aren't as good as their record suggests. They're still a better team than the Orioles, but not by this much.

Archived