What team has put up with this?

Sports Guy

Last week, I started a thread about Seattle holding their hitting coach accountable when they fired him.

Last week, KC fired their manager.

Why are the Orioles the only team not holding their coaches accountable?

I don't want to hear the normal bs about how coaches only do so much...Who gives a s***?

The bottom line is, you can't fire the players....This team has been AWFUL since DT took over...The hitting has been awful for 12 yars(for the most part).

Why do the Orioles continue to sit on their hands and do nothing?

Why do other teams make moves? Why do other teams send a message while the Orioles continue to just watch the Titanic sink?

What team puts up with losing in such a nonchalant, I don't care attitude as much as the Orioles do?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last week, I started a thread about Seattle holding their hitting coach accountable when they fired him.

I don't want to hear the normal bs about how coaches only do so much...Who gives a s***?

The bottom line is, you can't fire the players....This team has been AWFUL since DT took over...The hitting has been awful for 12 yars(for the most part).

Why do other teams make moves? Why do other teams send a message while the Orioles continue to just watch the Titanic sink?

What team puts up with losing in such a nonchalant, I don't care attitude as much as the Orioles do?

Honestly, what team does half the dumb crap the O's do? Same :cussing:, different season.

I dunno the answer to this. If this team seemed like it was out there busting it's collective chops every night, I might feel like it's just a very bad starting stretch.

It's improved lately, but this team still makes fundamental baseball errors.

A few responses here:

It's not entirely clear that this was the GM's decision. Joe Posnanski's article specifically mentions that he didn't think this was Moore's decision. And in fact the day before he was backing his GM. They also let him coach one more game after they fired him. I don't think the GM wanted him out, it sounded like a meddling owner.

Further, Trembley never did anything like Hillman did in ST when he first started. If you read the article, basically he called out all his players publicly in spring training to their faces in front of fans. They hated him since and never really played for him. He hung pitchers out to dry, had Meche throw 130+ pitches multiple times. And he honestly never had his clubhouse. I can't say I think it's the same thing. Though I agree with Pos, I think he learned a lot and based on his success in Japan, I don't think he'd be a bad candidate here.

Seattle holding their hitting coach accountable when they fired him

OK, but they went out and signed actual talent. They brought in Bradley, while crazy a career good hitter. They brought in Figgins. They brought in Kotchman. They got Wilson, another decent career hitter, last year. And Gutierrez should be getting even better. Hitting talent wise, they're a lot better team than the O's are as they are constructed right now.

They also play in a weaker division. They have something to play for this year. Really no one is running away in the West and even if you like Texas you have to believe they are catchable.

They don't! They just aren't doing what you are saying they should do. Just because a team doesn't do what you want, doesn't mean there is a lack of effort. How do you know what's going on behind the scenes. Scott finally turned it around, and I have to assume that's some kind of benefit from the coaches. It's silly to hammer them for failures, but look at Wiggi/Scott. Both of them clearly improved somehow and someone deserves that credit.

Look...why does everyone on here want more scrap heap players?? Garko, Johnson??? Really?!??!! That's going to turn this season around? Hughes and Salazar, that'll revive this team. Guys...you're going overboard on a team who in their last 21 games is 10-11. They had a bad early stretch. This is some massive overkill.

Or maybe you'd rather the fired up attitude of:

Signing Gil Meche

Jose Guillen

Livan Hernandez

Ivan Rodriguez

Jason Marquis

Chone Figgins

The list goes on and on. I get it you're fed up with the losing and much like an angry person would want revenge you want action. But AM isn't going to change the ship until Pie gets back and Roberts too. Maybe if those two are sustained in their injuries he'll do something to augment in those positions. But for now, we have talent, we just have to give it time.

If I've said it on here once, I'll say it 100 times. The Rays had a .407 winning percentage before they won 97 games. The light can just go off. But this team has to get healthy and experienced in the process.

SG, you're right man. What team puts up with such futility? The only team is the Baltimore Orioles.

Good work guys on losing the fanbase in a "Baseball Town".

The entire organization is a shining example of incompetence.

A few responses here:

It's not entirely clear that this was the GM's decision. Joe Posnanski's article specifically mentions that he didn't think this was Moore's decision. And in fact the day before he was backing his GM. They also let him coach one more game after they fired him. I don't think the GM wanted him out, it sounded like a meddling owner.

Further, Trembley never did anything like Hillman did in ST when he first started. If you read the article, basically he called out all his players publicly in spring training to their faces in front of fans. They hated him since and never really played for him. He hung pitchers out to dry, had Meche throw 130+ pitches multiple times. And he honestly never had his clubhouse. I can't say I think it's the same thing. Though I agree with Pos, I think he learned a lot and based on his success in Japan, I don't think he'd be a bad candidate here.

OK, but they went out and signed actual talent. They brought in Bradley, while crazy a career good hitter. They brought in Figgins. They brought in Kotchman. They got Wilson, another decent career hitter, last year. And Gutierrez should be getting even better. Hitting talent wise, they're a lot better team than the O's are as they are constructed right now.

They also play in a weaker division. They have something to play for this year. Really no one is running away in the West and even if you like Texas you have to believe they are catchable.

They don't! They just aren't doing what you are saying they should do. Just because a team doesn't do what you want, doesn't mean there is a lack of effort. How do you know what's going on behind the scenes. Scott finally turned it around, and I have to assume that's some kind of benefit from the coaches. It's silly to hammer them for failures, but look at Wiggi/Scott. Both of them clearly improved somehow and someone deserves that credit.

Look...why does everyone on here want more scrap heap players?? Garko, Johnson??? Really?!??!! That's going to turn this season around? Hughes and Salazar, that'll revive this team. Guys...you're going overboard on a team who in their last 21 games is 10-11. They had a bad early stretch. This is some massive overkill.

Or maybe you'd rather the fired up attitude of:

Signing Gil Meche

Jose Guillen

Livan Hernandez

Ivan Rodriguez

Jason Marquis

Chone Figgins

The list goes on and on. I get it you're fed up with the losing and much like an angry person would want revenge you want action. But AM isn't going to change the ship until Pie gets back and Roberts too. Maybe if those two are sustained in their injuries he'll do something to augment in those positions. But for now, we have talent, we just have to give it time.

If I've said it on here once, I'll say it 100 times. The Rays had a .407 winning percentage before they won 97 games. The light can just go off. But this team has to get healthy and experienced in the process.

Apologist #1, come on down!

So since you just started a thread on this a few days ago, why start another one on the same subject?

I think the long and short of it is, MacPhail is a patient guy who doesn't want to make a move unless he's sure things arent going to turn around. Personally, I agree with you that it's time to do something. But it's not that I think MacPhail doesn't care.

So since you just started a thread on this a few days ago, why start another one on the same subject?
LOL...You are one to talk about that...although it would normally be someone else starting the thread and then you. :rolleyes:
I think the long and short of it is, MacPhail is a patient guy who doesn't want to make a move unless he's sure things arent going to turn around. Personally, I agree with you that it's time to do something. But it's not that I think MacPhail doesn't care.
Well then AM is a liar...Pick one.

You sit there and say winning matters, watch your team get off to an awful start, do nothing but bring up Simon and Hughes and we are supposed to think you were genuine? LOL Give me a break.

Person who doesn't care about analysis or thinking about something other than the gut reaction surface value of something, POSTS AGAIN!!

Yea, that's me alright...I never analyze things on this board...LOL

Just go away..that was a pathetic post.

Yea, that's me alright...I never analyze things on this board...LOL

Just go away..that was a pathetic post.

Feeling fiesty?

You didn't respond to my points? That's all I was saying. It doesn't look like Hillman was fired by his GM. If PA really has relinquished rights to AM, DT isn't going anywhere any time soon. And my point was that Hillman wouldn't have either.

Also I pointed out how Seattle brought in actual talent. Who had lifetime OPS's better than Lugo/Atkins/Montanez who are seriously hurting this team. My question was, why do we punish in the name of bad talent, esp. in regards to coaches. It also points out that Seattle still has something to play for. The O's could turn it around this year, and have zero chance at the playoffs. It's a different story for anyone in the West.

Your ad hominem attacks while funny, don't add anything to the discussion about why the Orioles might seriously not be doing anything for the moment. How about joining the conversation and putting your pitchfork down.

There were some of us who said last week that this 2 week stretch of games were going to be crucial for DT. I circled the 24th, which is our next off day, on the calender. Now, I'm not saying if we don't show some fire this week that that will definitely be the date something happens but I think the fire under DT's feet will be boiling. Over the past month I've never had the gut feeling that AM was close to pulling the trigger to fire DT but now I sense it could come anytime.

Archived