I Have No Idea Why My Other Vlad Thread Was Closed But Here HE IS AGAIN!

Old#5fan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't want to start another Vlad thread but he is now leading the AL with 42 rbi. There were a few of us who were highly in favor of trying to sign him but we were rather summarily shouted down that he was over-the-hill and his bat was slow. Guess those who did the shouting are now thinking about how nice those 42 rbi's would look four our team. Perhaps we wouldn't be buried so far below 500 we will never recover this season.:eek::rolleyes:

I didn't want to start another Vlad thread but he is now leading the AL with 42 rbi. There were a few of us who were highly in favor of trying to sign him but we were rather summarily shouted down that he was over-the-hill and his bat was slow. Guess those who did the shouting are now thinking about how nice those 42 rbi's would look four our team. Perhaps we wouldn't be buried so far below 500 we will never recover this season.:eek::rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Vlad wouldn't have those 42 RBI's if he was on the O's. Need people to consistently get on base for that...

I'd like to see you explain how Vlad would still have 42 RBIs if he was in this lineup. This should be good...:scratchchinhmm::rolleyes:

Man's having a good year. I certainly got to respect that. And looking at his numbers last year I genuinely thought he was on the wrong side of the decline in his career. To some effect, he's putting those fears to rest.

And to be honest I was hoping to look at some numbers and see that Vlad has batted with infinite more chances to score runners than any O's player. These are some early results.

All numbers are in respect to RISP

Wigginton: .243 .348 .405 .753

Vlad: .314 .316 .451 .767

Tejada: .265 .302 .429 .731 (wow that kind of sucks!)

Nick: .294 .444 .412 .856

Ok, marginally better, the end OPS isn't that much different. What about numbers. But suprisingly, Nick has a better OBP, almost the same average and a better OPS. Hmmmm.

Vlad: 57 PA's. 24 RBIs. Ratio: 2.375 AB/RBI

Wigginton: 47 PA's 15 RBIs. Ratio: 3.133 AB RBI

Tejada: 53 PAs, 18 RBIs Ratio: 2.944

Nick: 45 PAs, 13 RBIs Ratio: 3.46

OK, so that's pretty sizable. Almost per 1 AB Vlad does better. But let's break it down situationally, just a little bit more. Tejada comes within a half an at bat. It's pretty clear looking at raw RBI totals per PA with RISP Vlad is superior. Let's keep digging.

Vlad: 24 PA's with Runner on 3rd (or more) for 19 RBIs (79% of RBIs with RISP), 7 ABs with bases loaded for 10 RBIs (1.43 per AB)

Wiggi: 17 PAs with Runner on 3rd (or more) for 8 RBIs (53%), 2 ABs with bases loaded for 0 rbis (0 Per AB)

Nick 19 PAs Runner on 3rd (or more) for 7 RBIs (53%), 4 ABs with bases loaded for 5 RBIs (1.25 per AB)

Tejada 23 ABs with runner on 3rd or more for 8 RBIs (44%), 7 ABs with bases loaded for 5 RBIs (.71 per AB)

A couple of notes:

Tejada is the least clutch of these 4 guys with runners on 3rd (ouch! to Old Fan logic). And the least clutch with the sacks full.

If given similar opportunities, Nick would have lots more RBIs. He has had 8 less RBIs than Vlad. In every at bat with the bases loaded Nick has gotten on base (3 hits, one walk).

Vlad has had the most opportunities with runners in RISP and runners on third. In each by 25%.

It seems to me that Vlad and Nick in terms of % and chances are not that far off. Vlad hits in a better lineup, in a weaker division and in a better park.

More to come. I'll look up some AL East/AL West splits on Vlad and some O's hitters.

He's having a very good year because of the ballpark he's playing in...

Home - 385/412/688/1.100

Away - 268/303/423/725

Their is little to assume that he would be putting up those same numbers here in Camden Yards. Arlington Ballpark is a hitters ballpark... this is Hank Blalock Part II.

Ok, so I glanced at some more splits.

Here we go:

Per Team OPS/RBI totals against:

MFY: .111 .182 .111 .293 (Yummy) (PAs: 11) (Rbis 1)

Sox: .222 .300 .333 .633 (A bit better) (10) (1)

O's: .300 .300 .600 .900 (10) (3)

Tor.: .550 .591 .700 1.291 (22) (4)

LAAAAAA: .500 .500 1.000 1.500 (8) (1)

Oak.: 286 .286 .500 .786 (26) (8)

Seattle: .304 .304 .348 .652 (23) (2)

19 of 42 RBIs come against Detroit and KC. In just 10 games. Vlad hit 5 homer runs against KC!!!! That's 3 more than against any other team! In fact Oakland is the only other team he hit 2 against, the rest only 1. Sounds like he feasted on poor pitching against one team rather than having a well rounded year. Also 12 RBIs against KC too.

Despite a great OPS against Toronto only 4 RBIs in those games. Which really shows me something about situational opportunities vs. chances to get RBIs.

Maybe I'm not easily impressed, but this whole thing strikes me as more situationally good hitting for Vlad against bad teams and with the bases loaded than anything else.

And for that matter if we could trade a B level prospect for Vlad right now, I'd say no.

Guerrero rookie card

vladimir-guerrero.jpg

I think I still have that card. I have a Sporting News Spring Training edition with Mussina on the cover and there was an article in it saying that both Vlad and Wilton Guerrero would be stars. Wilton, where are you?

And the Rangers signed Vlad bc he's raked in Arlington over his entire career.

And the Rangers signed Vlad bc he's raked in Arlington over his entire career.

That's exactly right. I'd like to see his career splits from Arlington (hint, hint).

I've watched him play hundreds of times since he came to Anaheim and while his first few years he was probably the funnest hitter to watch I've ever seen he is not what he used to be. Not close. He used to take a low outside fastball a foot off the plate and hit it hard enough to kill the outfielder,

now he rarely gets wood on it.

Archived