That's it... time to send Adam to Norfolk

SteveA

This place has officially lost its collective mind.

From Melewski:

http://masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2010/05/stats-facts-and-notes-from-wednesdays-loss-at-texas.html

The results and the batting stats (line drive rate) clearly show that he is hitting A LOT better. I can post the line drive stats from fangraphs again since nobody seems to want to pay attention to them. Yeh, he is hitting terribly and should be sent down. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile:

The golden child hasn't squared up a ball in a long time yet there is nothing about him. I'm not sure why Adam has become such a target for nastiness, but the one sidedness of the comments here are crazy. Wieters hasn't been any better than Jones this year, not by a long shot. Reimold has been worse. Atkins has been worse.

Oh yeah Reimold, the guy who shouldn't have been sent down, is hitting .091 in AAA.

This place is ridiculous right now. Of course Jones is still having some bad at bats. He is a free swinger. It sucks, but he is who we thought he was. Miggy has been having these types of at bats for years. Such is life with free swingers.

Some of you guys REALLY need to take a look in the mirror. The desire to vent and to be right is really coloring the observations being made by a LOT of people.

This is a good point about Wieters. I think he has to get more time off. He has to be dragging a little from the workload.

Miggi seems tired as well. Maybe Moore being on the team will get Miggi some time off. Probably the biggest problem with that is Miggi can easily talk Trembley out of sitting him for even a day.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a good point about Wieters. I think he has to get more time off. He has to be dragging a little from the workload.

Miggi seems tired as well. Maybe Moore being on the team will get Miggi some time off. Probably the biggest problem with that is Miggi can easily talk Trembley out of sitting him for even a day.

This is also an issue that arises when you have a manager who must feel like dead man walking. Trembley isn't resting Wieters/Jones/Tejada because every game, every day can mean his job. He's a smart man. He knows his team is 13-30 and has a series coming up against the Nationals. When he's managing for his job, he's not going to send up a lineup with Tatum/Montanez/Moore in it. He just won't. Regardless of how dinged up or slumping Wieters/Jones/Tejada are, he's going to keep riding that horse, even if it takes him off a cliff.

Which, if they get swept or lose 2 of 3 this weekend, it may.

You've got to kidding??? They've played 42 games so far...It's the middle of May for cryin' out loud. It hasn't even gotten hot yet!

If they're tired already, then they weren't ready to play the season to begin with.

This is also an issue that arises when you have a manager who must feel like dead man walking. Trembley isn't resting Wieters/Jones/Tejada because every game, every day can mean his job. He's a smart man. He knows his team is 13-30 and has a series coming up against the Nationals. When he's managing for his job, he's not going to send up a lineup with Tatum/Montanez/Moore in it. He just won't. Regardless of how dinged up or slumping Wieters/Jones/Tejada are, he's going to keep riding that horse, even if it takes him off a cliff.

Which, if they get swept or lose 2 of 3 this weekend, it may.

Depending on what happen tonight, I expect to see both Tejada and Wieters get either Saturday or Sunday off.

You've got to kidding??? They've played 42 games so far...It's the middle of May for cryin' out loud. It hasn't even gotten hot yet!

If they're tired already, then they weren't ready to play the season to begin with.

No, I am not kidding. Are you?

The whole team isn't hitting.

You can't just single out Jones.

Are we going to send Wieters down with him?

Wieters is doing a great job handling the staff and defensively. Jones has very little to show if he's not hitting well.

From Melewski:

http://masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2010/05/stats-facts-and-notes-from-wednesdays-loss-at-texas.html

The results and the batting stats (line drive rate) clearly show that he is hitting A LOT better. I can post the line drive stats from fangraphs again since nobody seems to want to pay attention to them. Yeh, he is hitting terribly and should be sent down. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile:

The golden child hasn't squared up a ball in a long time yet there is nothing about him. I'm not sure why Adam has become such a target for nastiness, but the one sidedness of the comments here are crazy. Wieters hasn't been any better than Jones this year, not by a long shot. Reimold has been worse. Atkins has been worse.

Oh yeah Reimold, the guy who shouldn't have been sent down, is hitting .091 in AAA.

This place is ridiculous right now. Of course Jones is still having some bad at bats. He is a free swinger. It sucks, but he is who we thought he was. Miggy has been having these types of at bats for years. Such is life with free swingers.

Some of you guys REALLY need to take a look in the mirror. The desire to vent and to be right is really coloring the observations being made by a LOT of people.

It comes down to this: are you OK with Jones becoming the kind of player he has shown himself to be since May of 2009? I'm not. I'd like him to at least slug above .400 and get on base around 34% of his at-bats.

Right now he looks lost at the plate despite the ability to collect some hits here and there to make it "look" like he is improving or doing OK.

Adam Jones is supposed to be our Mike Cameron or Torri Hunter. Right now he is Corey Patterson without the power and speed. I am not OK with that. I would be OK with him being sent down to Norfolk.

And honestly, I am not OK with Wieters. He looks bad too. I've always thought he had a slow swing, and was bashed for it last year. No one who we thought was a part of the future is looking good right now. No need to blast us for saying that, especially with AJ.

I think I'd actually lean towards sending him down, too.

His average is up recently, but I've only seen a few hard hit balls over the past week plus from him and he's still showing a lot of inability to be patient or show any sort of discipline at the plate.

This place is ridiculous right now.

It sucks, but he is who we thought he was.

You may be a smart man, but this is an idiotic post.

Jones is a free swinger, but he's not who any of us thought he was, at least not right now. Note that I didn't need to point out that you're relying on batting average in your post, over a small sample size, while ignoring meaningless stats like OPS. I wonder how you'd react if OldFan or Trea did that.

Yeah, this place sure is ridiculous, so much so that I think I'm going to use the often typed, but never correct, rediculous.

I think I'd actually lean towards sending him down, too.

His average is up recently, but I've only seen a few hard hit balls over the past week plus from him and he's still showing a lot of inability to be patient or show any sort of discipline at the plate.

Sending him and Reimold to AAA may help them, but we simply can't fire all of our hitters. They need new voices in the duggout; a new focus, energy and direction. That can only come from new coaches.

Sending him and Reimold to AAA may help them, but we simply can't fire all of our hitters. They need new voices in the duggout; a new focus, energy and direction. That can only come from new coaches.
Meh, I don't think its bad coaching that is causing their problems.

I'm fine with hiring new coaches, but I think its too romantic to think that a new coaching staff will waltz in here and turn this rag tag group of misfits into contenders.

Meh, I don't think its bad coaching that is causing their problems.

I'm fine with hiring new coaches, but I think its too romantic to think that a new coaching staff will waltz in here and turn this rag tag group of misfits into contenders.

It may be, but I actually think a new staff will help a lot.

This team is mentally defeated right now. New coaches don't necessarily have to be better at all of the x's and o's to make a difference (yes, I know, wrong sport).

I've seen individual games turn on a dime just because a leader stood up and got people re-energized. That's what this team needs, for a season. I don't mean this in a rah-rah sense, I mean it in a new beginnings sense. A new staff starts from a baseline and sets new benchmarks, individually and collectively. Trembley/Crowley's benchmarks are all just talking points at this point. There's nothing to build to. Their time is spent.

On the one hand I agree with sending him down, but on the other hand, I don't see what good it's going to do. I think we need to face facts and realize that barring a miracle, this is the plate discipline we're going to get with Jones. Some guys have it, and some guys don't, and I don't see any reason to believe that Jones has it in any way.

Archived