Where are the shortstops?

I can't help but notice that every time I see an evaluation about either a high school or college shortstop, there is a comment that the guy won't stick at shortstop in the majors.

If that's the case, where are the O's(or any other team) supposed to find the shortstop they need?

I can't help but notice that every time I see an evaluation about either a high school or college shortstop, there is a comment that the guy won't stick at shortstop in the majors.

If that's the case, where are the O's(or any other team) supposed to find the shortstop they need?

By settling for the best of a narrow, shallow pool of talent. There's a reason why Cesar Izturis has been a starting SS in MLB for most of the past eight seasons with a .626 OPS: because in the entire world there aren't 30 players who can play good SS defense while putting up MLB-average hitting numbers (that is, average of all hitters)..

Those who can do that, or who project to do that, don't usually come around in bunches.

From Latin America.

And that's why this franchise hasn't come up with a decent shortstop since Cal.

From Latin America.

And that's why this franchise hasn't come up with a decent shortstop since Cal.

I have no research to back it up, but I would guess the percentage of MLB shortstops who are Latin isn't that much different than the other positions. There are plenty of American shortstops in MLB right now. The fact of the matter is, it's just not that easy to find a good SS.

I didn't know Cal was from Latin America.

There haven't been many repsonses to this thread. I wonder where all the posters are who have been clamoring to get a long-term solution at shortstop. Do they have any ideas about where to get a good, young shortstop, or are they just complaining about our shortstop situation just to complain?

If it's so hard to find a shortstop that would be good offensively and defensively, which route should the O's take? From all the complaints I've seen about the last few shortshops the O's have had, it seems like the preference would be for a shortstop who is a good hitter.

Or the O's can wait for the once in a decade shortstop who can hit and field.

Not sure what you are looking for, to be honest. You're in the draft section of a message boards asking about shortstops in a draft that is thin on shortstops. Usually you can find some college shortstops who provide value, even if not all-star level. This year, there doesn't happen to be many of them. It happens.

Archived