No more Lima Time

orifan

My Jose Lima story:

May 7, 2005, a Saturday afternoon (also my birthday) some friends and I went to the O's game and Lima was the SP for KC. He gave up 5 runs in 5.2 and took the loss. After the game we were walking down Pratt St and happened to come upon him at a stoplight. He chatted us up and said he was headed to ESPNZone, and if we wanted to join him the first round was on him. Just then he got a call on his cell, answered and with a huge smile yelled "Mama?" into the phone. The next day was Mother's Day. Anyway, we already had plans for the evening, so we thanked him for the offer and went on our way. If she's still around, my sincerest sympathies go out to his mom.

R.I.P.

A tremendous showman whose love for baseball could not be disputed. When his MLB career sputtered, he went to Korea and other places to stay active and remained a fixture in the Dominican winter league.

One of an Antonio Alfonseca handful of Dominican lanzadors to win at least 20 games in a season.

Ouch! This news stings.

I remember one time a few years ago (2008, I believe), a friend of mine and I were in Camden, NJ for an Atlantic League baseball game, and Lima pitched.

I seem to remember him pitching a pretty decent game, and we were sitting two rows behind the dugout.

Between innings, my friend and I started calling to him, and yelling "great game," and such -- he turned to us with this large smile and fist pumped towards us.

Seemed like a guy who loved the game of baseball.

RIP, Mr. Lima.

All day yesterday when I saw this thread title from the forums section, I thought it meant he had retired. All day long I saw the ESPN News ticker mention him, but didn't see the reason why. I had thought it was because he'd announced his retirement. I only wish that were the case.

He was a showman, and his love for baseball was undeniable, no matter how up and down his career might have been. One of the most entertaining guys I've ever watched.

Archived