Givens and Kolodny Moved

chazsongs

Teaching him the intricacies of reads, throws from different angles and understanding when he plant, when you throw on the run, when you have time to circle and when you have to backhand, etc. is a lot more complicated.

I know it's complicated, but even though I'm sure you have more experience with this stuff than I do, I don't think I see it the same way. Complicated, yes, but those finer points are things that most young shortstops need to work on. It's complicated because you don't know how they'll respond to instruction until they're already under way. And while I didn't play professionally, they're still things that I felt I could improve in my own game with repetition.

Regarding the bolded, high-bonus signs get votes of confidence to justify the signing all the time. By being drafted and signing in the second round, Givens is assured to get every opportunity to develop into a productive player.

Good point.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he's already received a vote of confidence by the O's sending him to Delmarva instead of a short-season league.

Or he's just outgrown the instructional league. Short season starts in 2 weeks, so his stay could be brief.

I see Tyler Kolodny was sent to the Ironbirds and Givens is listed as a P on the Delmarva roster....What's up with that?

Something I learned here a couple of seasons ago is that players throughout the system occasionally get "moved" to Aberdeen, and yet you might still see them with their normal team.

It's a paper move only, at this time of the year, usually to accommodate another move on their team's roster. They will remain on the Aberdeen roster until another move is made to allow their name to come back.

I don't know if they've actually reassigned Kolodny to Aberdeen to play there after a two-week "rest" (isn't it two more weeks til short-season play starts?). I suspect they just moved him on paper to allow Givens to play at Delmarva.

Can anyone back me up on this, or correct my understanding of how it works?

I know it's complicated, but even though I'm sure you have more experience with this stuff than I do, I don't think I see it the same way. Complicated, yes, but those finer points are things that most young shortstops need to work on. It's complicated because you don't know how they'll respond to instruction until they're already under way. And while I didn't play professionally, they're still things that I felt I could improve in my own game with repetition.

I guess we'll see what shakes-out...

I guess we'll see what shakes-out...

Do you have any sense of his "experience?" I know he's old for being a high school draftee, but is he a toolsy guy who's just immersing himself into the game, a guy who has played ss his entire life, or something closer to one or the other?

The intricacies you're concerned about could be a matter or him getting innings, or it could be a matter of him just not being cut out to handle the bat or ss.

Do you have any sense of his "experience?" I know he's old for being a high school draftee, but is he a toolsy guy who's just immersing himself into the game, a guy who has played ss his entire life, or something closer to one or the other?

The intricacies you're concerned about could be a matter or him getting innings, or it could be a matter of him just not being cut out to handle the bat or ss.

Played for a decent high school (Plant, in Tampa, I believe). It's possible he hasn't worked on refining his game simply because he was good enough on pure ability, but he definitely wasn't an "Avery" case, where the competition just wasn't very good. He has been an infielder as long for as I've heard of him.

I agree you learn the position through playing and logging innings -- I'm just not sold these are issues that iron out over a season or two. As I said, we'll see what shakes-out. Hope I'm very wrong and BAL has its shortstop of the future here.

Something I learned here a couple of seasons ago is that players throughout the system occasionally get "moved" to Aberdeen, and yet you might still see them with their normal team.

It's a paper move only, at this time of the year, usually to accommodate another move on their team's roster. They will remain on the Aberdeen roster until another move is made to allow their name to come back.

I don't know if they've actually reassigned Kolodny to Aberdeen to play there after a two-week "rest" (isn't it two more weeks til short-season play starts?). I suspect they just moved him on paper to allow Givens to play at Delmarva.

Can anyone back me up on this, or correct my understanding of how it works?

The Orioles use Aberdeen as a place to stash guys for various reasons. Sometimes they stick a starting pitcher on there so they can get an extra position player and sometimes they do it because they want to get a look at someone else and don't want to release the other player.

I spoke about Kolodny's case in his tracker. There's more to the story, and I don't have all the facts, but he's basically "suspended" from the Delmarva squad for now.

Just reading the box score and it looks like Givens made 2 fielding errors in his first game at shortstop. Obviously its a little harsh to say that he was a bust because it is his first game and he was likely very nervous, but it is a bit concerning.:ohlord:

The Orioles use Aberdeen as a place to stash guys for various reasons. Sometimes they stick a starting pitcher on there so they can get an extra position player and sometimes they do it because they want to get a look at someone else and don't want to release the other player.

I spoke about Kolodny's case in his tracker. There's more to the story, and I don't have all the facts, but he's basically "suspended" from the Delmarva squad for now.

This blows me away:eek:

I can not imagine Tyler being a bad boy:(

Played for a decent high school (Plant, in Tampa, I believe). It's possible he hasn't worked on refining his game simply because he was good enough on pure ability, but he definitely wasn't an "Avery" case, where the competition just wasn't very good. He has been an infielder as long for as I've heard of him.

I agree you learn the position through playing and logging innings -- I'm just not sold these are issues that iron out over a season or two. As I said, we'll see what shakes-out. Hope I'm very wrong and BAL has its shortstop of the future here.

If by decent you mean better than any HS program in the Mid Atlantic then I guess you are correct. Plant is a school that has a long history of producing big time talent in almost all sports. Plant may not have been the same has say Tate HS during the 80's over the past couple of years but they are an upper tier program in a state that baseball is actually played at very high levels and HS sports are about 100 times more important than most of the country.

If by decent you mean better than any HS program in the Mid Atlantic then I guess you are correct. Plant is a school that has a long history of producing big time talent in almost all sports. Plant may not have been the same has say Tate HS during the 80's over the past couple of years but they are an upper tier program in a state that baseball is actually played at very high levels and HS sports are about 100 times more important than most of the country.

Of course, you are correct. I though the more pertinent point to the question was the competition he faced (at least that's what I read). I tend to stay away from anything resembling hyperbole when it comes to high school descriptions (because even good leagues are inconsistent), but I should have said "good" rather than "decent".

More importantly, the quality of the program doesn't really tell you about the players chances at a position in the future. Nick Castellanos is a SS at Archbishop McCarthy (correct if I'm wrong -- about 45 mins east of Fort Myers) and he has no chance to be a SS as a pro.

• 3 weeks later...
Oh, I wouldn't expect you to. Hey, I'm hoping he lights it up, big time. Trying to zip down to Delmarva after the draft but before I move to the midwest to get a closer look. If I do, will provide video.

Is this still something you might do? Would love to see what you could get for us.

Is this still something you might do? Would love to see what you could get for us.

Ran out of time, but will be back in the area at some point in July. August is tied-up w/summer prep events (Under Armour game and Area Code Games).

Archived