1st overall draft pick 2011 draft

The consensus is 3B Anthony Rendon from Rice University. Best hitting prospect out of the college ranks in some time.

There is debate if the O's will actually lose enough to get the #1 pick, but I, for one, think they will.

Why we can't even lose better then the other teams -

Harper, the No. 1 prospect in the 2010 draft, entered regional play hitting .415/.504/.891 with 23 home runs, but those numbers (which haven't been updated at CSN's website) will look a bit more ridiculous after this weekend. More importantly, Harper and his team will keep playing
Harper hit four home runs during a 6-for-6, 10 RBIs game and led the Coyotes to the NJCAA World Series.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal has full details here, including winds gusting up to 45 mph out to center field. But Harper's the only one on either team hitting four homers, a double and a triple, the day after he hit for the cycle.

I don't care how great our #1 pick is. It won't be as great as the Nats getting Strassburg and Harper.

Why couldn't we have the team we have THIS year...and turn back the time machine to last year.

This guy will be 18 and a better hitter than anyone we have in our farm system and possibly our actual team.

As great as I think Wieters and Matusz are. This guy and Strassburg make them both look second-tier.

Why we can't even lose better then the other teams -

I don't care how great our #1 pick is. It won't be as great as the Nats getting Strassburg and Harper.

Why couldn't we have the team we have THIS year...and turn back the time machine to last year.

This guy will be 18 and a better hitter than anyone we have in our farm system and possibly our actual team.

As great as I think Wieters and Matusz are. This guy and Strassburg make them both look second-tier.

There was a recent BA chat where Jim Callis opined he would take Rendon over Harper if both were in this draft and predicted that Rendon reaches the bigs before Harper. He went on to say that Rendon will be the better all around hitter but Harper has the greater power potential. So, all is not lost, but we do have to work hard to get the first pick in the draft. :D

Archived