Another good game for Arrieta

Frobby

Well, that's a really huge if. Command of his curveball is his biggest problem. I've been underwhelmed by the movement and velocity on his fastball when I've seen him pitch. JMO

You've seen a work in progress of a very young man who's ahead of most of his contemporaries. He's much more likely to continue to develop than a 27 year old with similar stuff, for example. He gets the benefit of the doubt.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a pitcher should go out and command and locate his pitches.

I think if a pitcher has to sacrifice stuff for command, then that pitcher is likely going to be in trouble long term.

But should a pitcher try to strike everyone out?

As for sacrificing stuff for command, every time a pitcher doesn't throw as hard as he can than he is doing this.

Well, that's a really huge if. Command of his curveball is his biggest problem. I've been underwhelmed by the movement and velocity on his fastball when I've seen him pitch. JMO

I saw Tillman twice in the spring, and I would agree his fastball looked straight. His velocity was better last spring I thought, but not bad. I thought he was 91-93, but I did not see a gun. Seemed to have more pop last year.

His curveball is wicked, but command and consistency hurt him. He has to throw it for quality strikes. I can't say I even saw him throw a changeup this spring. A cutter may help, especially if he can run it to both sides of the zone.

Tillman would be the centerpiece of any deal I would make for a quality bat. That player would have to be a good one however.

I understand that thought, but I disagree. He will likely be our #3-4 starter next year. If Hernandez and Arrieta are indeed headed for the pen, Tillman will be very important to the organization. A pitcher of his prospect status needs to stay here and make it work. His success would validate the player development system in place. Of course, the opposite is also true.

I think he may be one of the three most important players in the entire organization in regards to the next decade. Matusz and Wieters are the other two.

He doesn't have the fastball of either of those two. I (and I may be alone) like his curve and change more, if he can locate them (even moderately well).

Buchholz's change-up can be pretty darn filthy. I've seen him throw what I would call plus-plus on multiple occasions, but think it's a pretty regular plus offering.

I wonder why Arrieta is not pitching tonight. On his way to New York?

What better time to see what the future really holds? I might get interested in this team again with the likes of Tillman, Matusz, and Arrieta in the rotation. I'd hate to see Arrieta rot away in the bullpen, however, so unless they are dealing Millwood or Guthrie or something is up with Bergesen I can't see this as a positive.

I am just hating the fact that we are keeping Jake down right now when he needs to be up. He is ready to take the test, but we are letting Millwood block him and Guthrie too but in a lesser sense. Even though Guts didnt have his best stuff today, I think we need to make the decision that he IS a part of our future assuming he continues to pitch well. Sure he will be a bit older than the youngsters, but he won't be too old to pitch well assuming we start winning sometime in the next few years. I would say try to trade Millwood for something of value to us and allow Jake to get some ML IP. This would also be a rough draft of our future rotation:

Guthrie

Matusz

Bergesen

Tillman

Arrieta

Really, what do we have to lose? This will also give the management some time to get a good long look at these arms and try to weed through the ones who won't be part of our future plans. By the time another SP prospect is ML ready, it will be another year probably which is a good amount of time to decide who will stay and who will go.

I am just hating the fact that we are keeping Jake down right now when he needs to be up. He is ready to take the test, but we are letting Millwood block him and Guthrie too but in a lesser sense. Even though Guts didnt have his best stuff today, I think we need to make the decision that he IS a part of our future assuming he continues to pitch well. Sure he will be a bit older than the youngsters, but he won't be too old to pitch well assuming we start winning sometime in the next few years. I would say try to trade Millwood for something of value to us and allow Jake to get some ML IP. This would also be a rough draft of our future rotation:

Guthrie

Matusz

Bergesen

Tillman

Arrieta

Really, what do we have to lose? This will also give the management some time to get a good long look at these arms and try to weed through the ones who won't be part of our future plans. By the time another SP prospect is ML ready, it will be another year probably which is a good amount of time to decide who will stay and who will go.

Not ready yet. Needs to throw more strikes first.

What value is in an extra 2 months of development time? Serious question, because dumping Millwood for less than his value doesn't sound too smart to me. He's one piece who might net us a legit answer at SS or 1B in the future. Alt, he might net us 2 draft picks after this year when he declines arb and signs with someone else.

I want Arrieta up too, but letting him work some things out until a spot opens up seems prudent, if frustrating.

What value is in an extra 2 months of development time? Serious question, because dumping Millwood for less than his value doesn't sound too smart to me. He's one piece who might net us a legit answer at SS or 1B in the future. Alt, he might net us 2 draft picks after this year when he declines arb and signs with someone else.

I want Arrieta up too, but letting him work some things out until a spot opens up seems prudent, if frustrating.

Last I saw, Millwood is projected as a Type B, with about five or six names ahead of him before he cracks Type A status. This means that he will have to pitch even better than he has been for the past 1.4 seasons, and/or several of the good pitchers ahead of him will have to slip significantly if he's going to bring back those two draft picks. It could happen, but the odds are against him, and I wouldn't factor it too heavily into the calculations.

Archived