Is Snyder starting to thaw?

Frobby

Nothing too earth shattering, but Snyder has hit .273 over his last 9 games and produced 4 doubles. I know that's not much, but he has a way of warming up and then staying hot for a good long while. Just hoping.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nothing too earth shattering, but Snyder has hit .273 over his last 9 games and produced 4 doubles. I know that's not much, but he has a way of warming up and then staying hot for a good long while. Just hoping.

According to Malewski, he's starting to get straightened out. We can only hope.

http://masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2010/05/checking-in-with-brandon-snyder.html

Like you, I am really pulling for Brandon. I don't know whether I am more down because of the O's regression in the first quarter of the season or Brandon's struggles. It would be good to see him force his way in to the big league picture before the season is over.

Yeah, this would be great. I slightly disagree with his having "warmed up" very often in his career. Without actually clicking a whole other link, it's my perception that he's been pretty consistent from month to month, and from level to level. I'm thinking he walked back on the field and hit .280 from shoulder surgery. Since it's round two in AAA, I sort of expected a pretty good start.

I'll probably get panned for this, but I wonder if his struggles this year could be attributed to the O's messing with his mechanics. Maybe they're trying to turn him into JTrea's ideal first baseman instead of maximizing the player he really is (line drive/gap hitter).

I feel like I left spring training with a little bit of a, I don't know if you call it a hitch or whatever you want to call it, but there was something in my swing not working for me.

"It's taken me longer than usual to kind of find that and fix it, but now that I've fixed that I feel a heckuva lot more comfortable at the plate. Things are starting to fall for me.

"Early in the season I was hitting a lot of balls right at people. I'm still hitting some balls right at people, but I'm hitting the ball harder on an every at bat basis. So I'm giving myself a better chance for hits. I'm ready to turn this thing around and start having more fun."

After hitting .343-10-45 in 58 Bowie games last year, Snyder moved up to Norfolk, but hit just .248 in 73 games.

Then he began this season slumping as well.

"There was no excuse. I just wasn't performing. I let a lot of stuff from last year get to me, like the field, stuff I have no control over, I let bother me. I took that into my at bats.

"Plus, I got a little too pull happy. Normally I'm a guy that drives the ball the other way well. I did some things in spring training and tried to pull the ball more and it didn't work for me. It's taken a while to get off of that."

I'll probably get panned for this, but I wonder if his struggles this year could be attributed to the O's messing with his mechanics. Maybe they're trying to turn him into JTrea's ideal first baseman instead of maximizing the player he really is (line drive/gap hitter).

It sounds more likely that Snyder was trying to turn himself into the proto 1B slugger, rather than the O's doing it.

What worries me is that his manager and coaches didn't see this and try to nip it. This really isn't hard to spot if you are watching a player every day. How can you watch a good hitter slip below a .200 BA and not step in when he is clearly not staying within his strengths?

And I will stand by my prediction that Snyder will be the better big league player vs. Bell. I still think that Snyder is a big part of the Orioles future going forward. I know a lot of the O/H disagree's with me on this, but I guess only time will tell.

And I will stand by my prediction that Snyder will be the better big league player vs. Bell. I still think that Snyder is a big part of the Orioles future going forward. I know a lot of the O/H disagree's with me on this, but I guess only time will tell.

My worry is that neither one will be very good. I'm a HUGE Snyder fan but my optimism on him is at a low point right now.

My worry is that neither one will be very good. I'm a HUGE Snyder fan but my optimism on him is at a low point right now.

I'm a big Snyder fan, too.....and I think he will turn this season around and get a call-up. Even now, he's doing about the same...or maybe even a little better.... than Atkins.

I'm a big Snyder fan, too.....and I think he will turn this season around and get a call-up. Even now, he's doing about the same...or maybe even a little better.... than Atkins.

Doing the same as Atkins shouldn't be the test. That is setting the bar way too low. I don't want Snyder up until he is ready to be a successful major leaguer.

Snyder could be in Baltimore by mid-June. It would depend on how soon Roberts returns and whether Snyder really is picking up offensively, but I think that Atkins will be gone soon. The spot will be open.

I think snyder is turning the corner. I also expect to see him in an Oriole uniform this season. Bell, is a long way away IMO. A ML team cannot have a poor defender who cannot hit LH pitching at all on the team. Especially one with a K/W ratio of 8:1 in the minors. If it were my decision to make, Bell would go down a level to AA for the rest of this year, and have another shot at AAA next season.

It sounds more likely that Snyder was trying to turn himself into the proto 1B slugger, rather than the O's doing it.

What worries me is that his manager and coaches didn't see this and try to nip it. This really isn't hard to spot if you are watching a player every day. How can you watch a good hitter slip below a .200 BA and not step in when he is clearly not staying within his strengths?

I had too much fun in high school and college, so my memory isn't perfect by any means, but I have a vague recollection that the O's were trying to get him to pull the ball more often. Who knows?

I do generally wonder if part of our struggles have to do with Crowley re-working the swings of many players a la Pie. In the middle of the process, results would be ugly. That doesn't mean it's not worth doing over the long run, but it could be a potential cause of short term struggles.

Or I could be making all of this up. Who knows? :laughlol:

He's adapting to the AAA level. You can only do that in AAA. I don't see any logic whatsoever in sending him back to AA. Snyder is actually striking out at a higher rate than Bell, BTW.

Well this is true, but he is also walking at a much higher rate. Bells K/W ratio is disturbing.

Archived