Jones the last 16 games: .328/.359/.492

Frobby

You guys make way, way, WAY too big a deal out of walks. Give me a hitter versus a walker any day of the week. I am less worried about Jones and his lack of walks than I am about Markakis and his lack of home run power. That is what you should be worrying about. :rolleyes:

You do realize Markakis has more hits than Jones, right...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys make way, way, WAY too big a deal out of walks. Give me a hitter versus a walker any day of the week. I am less worried about Jones and his lack of walks than I am about Markakis and his lack of home run power. That is what you should be worrying about. :rolleyes:

Dean.jpg

BYAHHHH

You do realize Markakis has more hits than Jones, right...

Yep I do, and he is a better hitter and walker than Jones, but his lack of power has become a problem if he is expected to hit third like tonite. Leaving him in the second spot is fine but this team has never been provided an adequate three hitter by MacPhail. Thus, a big reason for the offensive struggles.

Only somebody like you would suggest that it's an either/or deal.

He will live and die with his plate discipline, and, unfortunately, he hasn't shown any improvement there even during this hot streak. When his batting average drops back down to the .275 range, we're looking at the same old .275/.310/.440 guy.

Although he got himself picked off tonight, he's had three pretty good plate appearances. His single was a solid shot. He hustled out the DP ball, and with the help of Wigginton, drew a bad throw from the shortstop. Then he got a fly ball to knock in Tejada.

Markakis- 4

Jones- 5*

* 1 HR was inside-the-parker due to Nyjer Morgan's temper-tantrum.

Putting all biases aside, a high walk rate would greatly help to offset all the times that Jones K's. That's why it's a big deal.

You make way, way, WAY too big a deal out of dumb insignificant things like Michael Young hitting a GW HR in an AS Game, Corey Patterson hitting 2 HRs since his call up, Nick Markakis only having 4 walk off hits in one season, Nick's "close and late" stats from last season, Curt Blefary making some "amazing" catch that you remember when you were a wee lass, etc.

All of that stuff=pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Walks=very important.

You make way, way, WAY too big a deal out of dumb insignificant things like Michael Young hitting a GW HR in an AS Game, Corey Patterson hitting 2 HRs since his call up, Nick Markakis only having 4 walk off hits in one season, Nick's "close and late" stats from last season, Curt Blefary making some "amazing" catch that you remember when you were a wee lass, etc.

All of that stuff=pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Walks=very important.

Tonight for instance. Five runs scored. It's not often they score that many runs. How did they do it? Four walks ended up scoring. Where did the 5th run come from? Oh yeah, solo shot from Nick Markakis.

Archived