Jones the last 16 games: .328/.359/.492

Frobby

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He sure as hell didn't win the MVP for either of those very minor positive aspects. He won it for hitting the damn ball with force all year long as in home runs and rbi's, may of which were produced by his power and hitting with very few from his walking a runner in from third with the bases loaded!:rolleyes:

Way to miss the point, again, and again, and again...

Well, he is leading the AL in rbi with over 40 and if you think having a slugger of his talent in the heart of the lineup would not have helped the rest of the team (especially Markakis and some of the young guys like Wieters), and even the veterans like Wiggy, Miggy, and Scott, than you are simply wrong. I am not saying this either to be argumentative. Think about all the one run games we have lost, even just the large number of 4-3 games. Don't you think Vlad's 42 rbi potential would have had a great probability of changing the outcome of many more of those tight games than just TWO?:rolleyes:

Nope you're wrong. Having Vlad in the lineup would not suddenly make everyone else do better. Like I said before, he's basically Ty Cobb at home and Brandon Fahey on the road. He's been helped out tremendously by playing in Arlington.

I'm not sure how many times you need to be told this but he would not have 42 RBIs if he was on the Baltimore Orioles.

Vlad has batted 4th pretty much all year and RBIs are dependent on the people around you getting on base...you know the thing you ridicule Markakis for being a beast at. Texas has a team OBP of 334, Baltimore's team OBP is 313.

He sure as hell didn't win the MVP for either of those very minor positive aspects. He won it for hitting the damn ball with force all year long as in home runs and rbi's, may of which were produced by his power and hitting with very few from his walking a runner in from third with the bases loaded!:rolleyes:

Really? You would really be upset if a player on your team got a bases loaded walk? Is this yet another in a long line of asinine arguments that you want to present to the world?

We really need to get past this issue. Nick Markakis did not knock in 112 runs in 2007 and 101 runs last year because he walked a lot. Boog knocked in 100 runs three times in his 17-year career, and I expect Markakis will do it a lot more than 3 times, since he is 26 and already has done it twice in 4 years.

Nick has a certain combination of skills, that are very different from Boog Powell's. Boog was a tremendous power hitter, in my mind pretty comparable to David Ortiz or Adam Dunn today. He was slow on the bases, and he was a graceful fielder but didn't have a lot of range. Markakis is more akin to guys like Carl Yastzemski in his younger days, before he developed a lot of power. He hits for average, draws walks, hits a lot of doubles, hits the occasional homer, plays good defense, has an excellent arm in the OF. Whether Markakis is able to develop a bit more power in his prime years (which really ae beginning right now) is an open question.

It really looked like Jones turned the corner, and then Wuertz made him look silly.

But he really looked good against Gonzalez, wasn't biting on anything.

Wuertz was a bad matchup for him, with his killer slider. And I think Jones was amped up because of the situation.

Really? You would really be upset if a player on your team got a bases loaded walk? Is this yet another in a long line of asinine arguments that you want to present to the world?

What is wrong with you?:confused: Did you fail reading comprehensionin third grade? Where did I ever even insinuate I would be "upset" with a bases load walk? What I indicated (re-read my post again s-l-o-w-l-y please) was you don't get awarded the MVP award merely for "walking" but rather for hitting homers, and driving in runs.

What MVP have you ever seen who didn't have a high total of homers and rbi's? :scratchchinhmm:

Name even one MVP whose only thing he did outstanding was lead the league in walks? Now do you get what I wrote???????? :eek::rolleyes:

What is wrong with you?:confused: Did you fail reading comprehensionin third grade? Where did I ever even insinuate I would be "upset" with a bases load walk? What I indicated (re-read my post again s-l-o-w-l-y please) was you don't get awarded the MVP award merely for "walking" but rather for hitting homers, and driving in runs.

What MVP have you ever seen who didn't have a high total of homers and rbi's? :scratchchinhmm:

Name even one MVP whose only thing he did outstanding was lead the league in walks? Now do you get what I wrote???????? :eek::rolleyes:

Dustin Pedroia 2008 .326 17hr 83rbi

Of course no one won the MVP only being good at walks, but it's certainly part of the equation. And Markakis isn't ONLY good at walking, he's hit over 100 rbi twice (one of your favorite stats).

edit: I'd also like to add that you probably have to take every MVP since around 1988 with a grain of salt since everyone was on steroids.

No dude, I didn't fail reading "comprehensionin". I'm sorry I must of misconstrued your sarcastic and condescending tone when you posted the following:

Just since 1980 the following people have won the MVP in either league:

2008 Dustin Pedroia

2001 Ichiro

1992 Dennis Eckersley

1989 Robin Yount

1986 Roger Clemens

1984 Willie Hernandez

1981 Rollie Fingers

1980 George Brett

1995 Barry Larkin

1991 Terry Pendleton

1985 Willie McGee

1984 Ryne Sandberg

After a quick glance (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think any of those guys hit more than 25 HRs and goodness gracious, some of them were pitchers.

You're an epic failure dude.

I think it's quite clear that one can win an MVP without being a big HR hitter or RBI guy. But you'd better be doing a lot else right, and be really outstanding at something.

I don't really know how we get in these arguments sometimes. I think it is true that nobody ever won the MVP just because they walked a lot. It's also true that there are plenty of MVP winners who walked a lot. So, why are we even having this discussion? One thing I'm pretty sure of, nobody on the Orioles is going to win an MVP while the team sucks.

I think it's quite clear that one can win an MVP without being a big HR hitter or RBI guy. But you'd better be doing a lot else right, and be really outstanding at something.

I don't really know how we get in these arguments sometimes. I think it is true that nobody ever won the MVP just because they walked a lot. It's also true that there are plenty of MVP winners who walked a lot. So, why are we even having this discussion? One thing I'm pretty sure of, nobody on the Orioles is going to win an MVP while the team sucks.

Cal Ripken says "Howdy!", Frobby. ;)

If anyone has a season like Cal Ripken's 1991, they'll certainly deserve the MVP.

Somebody, may have even been you, quoted an article yesterday that said Ripken's 1991 season was better than any season Barry Bonds ever had in terms of WARP3.

Yes, once every 20 years or so a player on a losing team has such an amazing year that the voters have no choice. I don't see that happening for anyone on our current roster, even if Wieters becomes Johnny Bench.

Back to the topic, Jones now has a 13 game hitting streak and has hit safely in 18 of the last 19 games. He's had pretty good luck in that stretch, as I can recall several swinging bunts and other bloops. He's not the worst offensive problem on this team, and hasn't been over the last 3 weeks or so.

Archived