Billy Rowell (1st hand look)

NickStckMattBat

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For everyone who's down on Billy Rowell, I'd like to bring up a player with a very similar history early in his career. Does everyone remember Jason Werth? He was a 17 year old catcher drafted out of high school by the Orioles in 1997 (22nd overall pick) and at age 21, when he had a bad season at Bowie, the Orioles gave up on him and traded him to Toronto for pitcher, Jason Bale.

While Werth may be a poster child for "late bloomers," he was very much like Rowell, a potentially good bat who couldn't find a position. No way should the Orioles be ready to give up on Rowell yet.....let's see how it plays out during the next few years.

And....wouldn't Werth look good in LF for the Orioles right now?

For everyone who's down on Billy Rowell, I'd like to bring up a player with a very similar history early in his career. Does everyone remember Jason Werth? He was a 17 year old catcher drafted out of high school by the Orioles in 1997 (22nd overall pick) and at age 21, when he had a bad season at Bowie, the Orioles gave up on him and traded him to Toronto for pitcher, Jason Bale.

While Werth may be a poster child for "late bloomers," he was very much like Rowell, a potentially good bat who couldn't find a position. No way should the Orioles be ready to give up on Rowell yet.....let's see how it plays out during the next few years.

I hear what you're saying, but Werth isn't a great example. Jayson's worst season was a .720 OPS and his career minor league OPS was .796. Rowell's last two years have been .683 and .620.

• 2 weeks later...

The game I was at was May 25th... in that game (and the 8 games since), he has struck out in every single game.

1 time- 2 games

2 times- 3 games

3 times- 3 games

4 times- 1 game

He is hitting .188 in that time with 1 extra base hit, 3 runs, 3 rbis.

He has 1 walk to go with the 21 strikeouts.

The Keys are 7-2 in this period, so I do not think we can throw it on tough competition.

His OPS has shrunk to .718.

Sorry, but what you called a slump at May 25th...has not seen any sign of stopping. I think it just is not going to happen for Billy.

I'm sorry, but this just pisses me off.

1.He is a big kid drafted out of HS. Of Course he's a project.

2.His OPS was over .900 a while back; it's called a slump. It happens all the time, to every player in baseball, at every level. Look at Albert Pujols.

3. People mess around in BP all the time. There is something to be said about being serious, and having killer instinct, but when it all comes down to it,

Baseball is a GAME. If you aren't having fun, you shouldn't be playing, in any sport.

4.I really hope this guy torches high A to end the year and has a 15 year ML career like he hoped in his article.

Sorry, I know you didn't have ill intentions, It just rubbed me the wrong way.

The game I was at was May 25th... in that game (and the 8 games since), he has struck out in every single game.

1 time- 2 games

2 times- 3 games

3 times- 3 games

4 times- 1 game

He is hitting .188 in that time with 1 extra base hit, 3 runs, 3 rbis.

He has 1 walk to go with the 21 strikeouts.

The Keys are 7-2 in this period, so I do not think we can throw it on tough competition.

His OPS has shrunk to .718.

Sorry, but what you called a slump at May 25th...has not seen any sign of stopping. I think it just is not going to happen for Billy.

I hate to say it, but he looks like a bust to me. I saw him play last week against Lynchburg and he struck out on every trip to the plate. His bat looked slow. And I think he and Corey Patterson could compete for who has worse pitch recognition. The thing I liked least was when he got called out looking and got all petulant with the ump. The pitch was definitely borderline, but aren't you supposed to protect the plate on a ball like that?

I did like what I saw about Joe Mahoney. He went yard in a clutch situation, which seems to be becoming a habit of his.

Well I hope Billy gets his act together. I am not sure what part the O's coaching and instructional folks are playing or not playing in his development. It is important we remember we should support our young Os as much as possible in their journey through the minors. They are learning and it is up to the instructional staff to either teach them or let them go. I am looking forward to seeing Billy in Bowie either this year or next year. AA ball is the break or make line for all minor leaguers.

To the original poster.......pay no attention to Lucky Jim. He is probably lurking on this site 12-15 hrs a day just looking to attack anyone with an opinion. This is an opinion themed message board......am I right?

As for your thoughts on Rowell, Ive never seen him play but Ive also never heard a single reference to him being a hardworking, awe inspired, youngster who feels blessed with the opportunity given him. From every post Ive read on here, be it fans,scouts,staff, Rowell sounds like a kid who thinks he is owed a spot. I wish him luck but dont see it panning out.

I saw him in a couple games last year and one this year and I had the same opinion. He wasn't athletic looking at all in the field. He made a bumbling error with teammates showing obvious fraustration and distain. Is he only kept with the Orioles because of his draft position?

Betcha Werth has more speed than Rowell. Betcha he has more naturall athletisism.

Well you are a lawyer. :D

Apparently a none too busy lawyer either for all the lurking he does here. I really am in awe of that because every attorney I have ever know is extremely busy and wouldn't have more than 5 minutes per day during business hours to spend here (if that).:scratchchinhmm:

I saw him in a couple games last year and one this year and I had the same opinion. He wasn't athletic looking at all in the field. He made a bumbling error with teammates showing obvious fraustration and distain. Is he only kept with the Orioles because of his draft position?

Everytime I read these things I am just stunned that any major league team, much less the Orioles would have drafted this kid any higher than a low round pick. What in God's name were these scouts seeing in someone who is described as having a "terrible slow bat, terrible pitch recognition, non-athletic and lumbering, and cannot field'?

People, these are the opposite of what any scout should want to see in a draft pick. WERE the SCOUTS BLIND when they OBSERVED HIM? I mean fielding is the easiest skill to observe for crap's sake! You either can or you can't field well.:rolleyes:

Everytime I read these things I am just stunned that any major league team, much less the Orioles would have drafted this kid any higher than a low round pick. What in God's name were these scouts seeing in someone who is described as having a "terrible slow bat, terrible pitch recognition, non-athletic and lumbering, and cannot field'?

People, these are the opposite of what any scout should want to see in a draft pick. WERE the SCOUTS BLIND when they OBSERVED HIM? I mean fielding is the easiest skill to observe for crap's sake! You either can or you can't field well.:rolleyes:

The pick was well received at the time, and the kid was fine at Bluefield and even Delmarva playing at a very young age. He just hasn't developed the way you'd like since then. That's always a risk, no team bats 1.000 on its first round picks. To date, out of 12 high school picks in the 1st round of the2006 draft, only Clayton Kershaw and Travis Snider have made it to the majors.

The pick was well received at the time, and the kid was fine at Bluefield and even Delmarva playing at a very young age. He just hasn't developed the way you'd like since then. That's always a risk, no team bats 1.000 on its first round picks. To date, out of 12 high school picks in the 1st round of the2006 draft, only Clayton Kershaw and Travis Snider have made it to the majors.

I wonder if baseball should put top draft choices through an agility test like they do for the NFL. You'd get a better idea, I bet, about the players potential.

You mean he wasn't "slow and lumbering" and unable to field at either Bluefield or Delmarva? If so, that doesn't make sense. I could buy that he hit better but the fielding would not change merely because of level of play. You can either field or you can't.

You mean he wasn't "slow and lumbering" and unable to field at either Bluefield or Delmarva? If so, that doesn't make sense. I could buy that he hit better but the fielding would not change merely because of level of play. You can either field or you can't.

I think when Rowell was drafted he was expected to be a big-time power bat, who maybe could stick at 3rd but if not could be moved to 1st. At 6'5" he has a 1B body. Trouble is, he hasn't hit like a 1B for a long time now.

Archived