Armando Galarraga perfect through 8

PrivateO

The sad thing? Jim Joyce is generally considered to be a fantastic ump. Everyone blows a call. He just blew a really important one. His career will get marred by this, but I think it's obvious from the way Leyland reacted when he came out to argue and how he didn't run Miguel Cabrera for basically jawing at him for the entire last at-bat, he knew he blew that call.

Yeah. He'll live with this for the rest of life. I actually feel bad for him. He blew a call. Something every official in every sport at every level has done before but because of the situation it'll always be remembered and will define his career .

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In Joyce's defense. He blew the call, it looked like he knew it.

But the key to me is that he didn't start barking at players, he didn't bolt for the tunnel, he didn't avoid the Tigers at all. He let them yell at him when they came out on the field after the win.

He showed class there IMO.

Completely agree.

You know what, I agree... he showed class.

But to me, it's still an unacceptable offense. If a QB fumbles a ball on the goal line as they're driving in to win a Super Bowl they're tainted forever. So should Joyce. He's a great umpire overall, but he actually DID blow this call, and cost a young man a chance to be in the record books. He DID that, he missed the call. He deserves the criticism that will follow him around for it. Absolutely unforgivable.

By the way, it's pretty obvious that all of you guys turned off the Orioles game to watch the end of this game.

I am shocked that any of you would do that. You mean you would stop watching a fine team like your Baltimore Orioles to see the end of a perfect game? I'm shocked, I tell ya. :eektf:

By the way, I did the same thing. :D

Also, I know this is unfair as that was a truly great catch that very few outfielders would make, but I couldn't help thinking while watching Jackson make that catch that Adam Jones would never make that play (and if he did get back there in time it would probably bounce off his glove).

I was already watching a repeat of America: The Story of Us. :P Only caught the end on ESPN because of this thread.

But to me, it's still an unacceptable offense. If a QB fumbles a ball on the goal line as they're driving in to win a Super Bowl they're tainted forever. So should Joyce. He's a great umpire overall, but he actually DID blow this call, and cost a young man a chance to be in the record books. He DID that, he missed the call. He deserves the criticism that will follow him around for it. Absolutely unforgivable.

Well, we all know he messed up and so does he. There's no way to overturn the call. What exactly can he do beyond saying, "I blew it?"

I don't even know if, as an umpire, he's allowed to speak to the press about that call. I seem to remember that umpires as a whole aren't supposed to explain individual calls to the press, though I could be wrong. I'd be livid, and I kinda am for Galarraga. But umps blow calls. It happens. Joyce blows less of them than most umpires do. He just blew this one at the worst moment. I see what you're saying, but at the same time, I feel sorry for him.

Well, we all know he messed up and so does he. There's no way to overturn the call. What exactly can he do beyond saying, "I blew it?"

I don't even know if, as an umpire, he's allowed to speak to the press about that call. I seem to remember that umpires as a whole aren't supposed to explain individual calls to the press, though I could be wrong. I'd be livid, and I kinda am for Galarraga. But umps blow calls. It happens. Joyce blows less of them than most umpires do. He just blew this one at the worst moment. I see what you're saying, but at the same time, I feel sorry for him.

In all honesty, I probably will Tomorrow morning. It's ashame. A lifetime's work and good will to be tainted by one call. But you can't take away the fact that he indeed made that bad call and changed history. I'm just furious right now, it's just ashame. Imagine if this happened to Matusz or Tillman just now. Imagine how we'd feel then. I'm furious, despite it being about a damn Tiger's pitcher, like I care. But just being such a huge fan of the game as a whole, this is just killer.

Horrific call.

Even Jason Donald was standing there with his hands on his head like "What'd I do??!?"

If it were me in Donald's shoes (and I knew I was out) I'd just walk off the field and tell the umpire he was wrong and forfeit the out, comfortable knowing that I was right and that the replays later would bear that out. That kinda goes against every I'd typically stand for but that's such an important piece of history and it's ultra important to make sure things are done the right way.

I recognize that Joyce is apparently one of the better umps around but even if this were a bang/bang or tie goes to the runner play, you gotta give it to the pitcher.

In all honesty, I probably will Tomorrow morning. It's ashame. A lifetime's work and good will to be tainted by one call. But you can't take away the fact that he indeed made that bad call and changed history. I'm just furious right now, it's just ashame. Imagine if this happened to Matusz or Tillman just now. Imagine how we'd feel then. I'm furious, despite it being about a damn Tiger's pitcher, like I care. But just being such a huge fan of the game as a whole, this is just killer.

If it were Matusz or Tillman, I can't even imagine how I'd be feeling right now. I imagine I'd be committing random acts of violence on inanimate objects, though.

Don't get me wrong... Joyce blew it.

But at that point, he really can't overturn the call based on current rules, right? What do you want him to do?

He blew it, but he showed class. You want to guess what Ken Kaiser would have done in that situation?

Archived