Spoone is Stirring!

Frobby

I have to congratulate myself on this thread title, which came to me by accident. It's my favorite thread title that I wrote since Loewen Behold!, although I kind of liked Jaunty Arrieta (but nobody else did).

Anyway, back to my point, 6 IP, 2 solo HR and no other hits for Chorye tonight. In his last 5 starts he's thrown 30 innings to an ERA of 2.70 and has held opponents to 19 hits. The good GO/AO ratio is returning, too, despite the two solos tonight.

I'm not sure Spoone is all the way back, but he seems to be working his way there. I'd love to hear a scouting report from someone who's seen him pitch recently.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we may be seeing the wisdom of stockpiling the arms. Assuming Arrieta and Tillman become solid MLB starters, you have a pretty stacked rotation with future yungins in Hobgood and Taillon (I hope) pushing for a spot in a few years. Leaving live arms like Erbe, Berry and Spoone to battle for a role in the bullpen. I'm really pulling for Spoone to overcome the odds after shoulder surgery.

I was at the game, he seemed to settle down and pitch better from the 4th inning on. As in giving up less pitches per inning maybe, getting more ground balls He was all over the plate early. IIRC, the 2 walks he gave up, he and the batter battled. I'd say other then giving up those 2 HR's, he had a great night. I read that BowieMike had said in his report that Spoone had thrown 98 pitches and 58 for strikes. I really can't rely on the stadium radar gun, as it has been in and out of service alot, but I remember seeing 93 alot.

I give Spoone a B+ on the night and Frobby an A on the thread title. The reason it wasn't an A+ is because you congratulated yourself. ;)

I couldn't help myself. It's one of my many flaws, I love my own jokes and puns.

I couldn't help myself. It's one of my many flaws, I love my own jokes and puns.

I actuallly enjoyed it more because he made himself laugh. That's a great ability to have in the life of an O's fan.

Would like to hear more discussion on how Spoone's stuff looks this season. Not just the radar readings per se, but fastball movement, offspeed pitches, holding velocity over multiple innings, etc.

A recovery to the stuff he displayed in Frederick would be a great story.

Would like to hear more discussion on how Spoone's stuff looks this season. Not just the radar readings per se, but fastball movement, offspeed pitches, holding velocity over multiple innings, etc.

A recovery to the stuff he displayed in Frederick would be a great story.

I don't usually sit behind home plate. So I can't really report on movement. But, I will say he is alot better with his last 3 or 4 games. I have spoken to him and he says he feels great.

I was at the game' date=' he seemed to settle down and pitch better from the 4th inning on. As in giving up less pitches per inning maybe, getting more ground balls He was all over the plate early. IIRC, the 2 walks he gave up, he and the batter battled. I'd say other then giving up those 2 HR's, he had a great night. I read that BowieMike had said in his report that Spoone had thrown 98 pitches and 58 for strikes. I really can't rely on the stadium radar gun, as it has been in and out of service alot, but I remember seeing 93 alot.[/quote']

Wow 93 is great news. Make me hope for good things.

Archived