Givens to the DL

rhall

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm skeptical. The O's have waaaay to many guys "hurt".

The whole organization needs to grow a pair.

It's baseball....not soccer.

Please explain how it serves a minor league player's interest to NOT play when he could? Does Given advance his career by pretending to be hurt when he's actually just "hurt"? Does it bring him any closer to the majors?

It's his first season in pro ball, he just got promoted to a full-season team, and now after two weeks you feel that he's claiming to be injured when he actually could be playing?

Why the hell would he do that? So that he can enjoy a life of leisure on that magnificent Low-A salary without having to work for it? Or do you believe that these players secretly don't want to play pro ball, so they look for the first excuse to sit out a game or go on the DL?

I could ask this same question about anyone who is currently injured in the system. What's the point of malingering? Why would they want to do this? IIRC Justin Dalles is on the DL after a collision at home plate. What possible reason would he have for purposely extending his injury layoff, while he sits and watches Michael Ohlman get five starts a week?

Seriously... You've essentially stated that some of these injured players aren't really injured and that they could be playing if they really wanted to play. That's a pretty provocative statement, and you really need to answer:

WHY?

Please explain how it serves a minor league player's interest to NOT play when he could? Does Given advance his career by pretending to be hurt when he's actually just "hurt"? Does it bring him any closer to the majors?

It's his first season in pro ball, he just got promoted to a full-season team, and now after two weeks you feel that he's claiming to be injured when he actually could be playing?

Why the hell would he do that? So that he can enjoy a life of leisure on that magnificent Low-A salary without having to work for it? Or do you believe that these players secretly don't want to play pro ball, so they look for the first excuse to sit out a game or go on the DL?

I could ask this same question about anyone who is currently injured in the system. What's the point of malingering? Why would they want to do this? IIRC Justin Dalles is on the DL after a collision at home plate. What possible reason would he have for purposely extending his injury layoff, while he sits and watches Michael Ohlman get five starts a week?

Seriously... You've essentially stated that some of these injured players aren't really injured and that they could be playing if they really wanted to play. That's a pretty provocative statement, and you really need to answer:

WHY?

Obviously you prefer to believe the contrarian opinion that EVERYONE in the O's organization is busting their *** to the best of their ability to make this team the best that it can be. Really? We're in big trouble if your hypothesis is correct.

You seem to think that just the pleasure of competition would compel these gifted athletes give their all to being the best that they can be...for themselves (selfishly) and for the TEAM (selflessly). How thoughtful, how kind, how deep....how naive.

Granted, Dalles and Ohman were actually injured. Pitcher injuries (I get that except Mike Gonzalez) I'm not denying that either. What I was saying was that there is an inordinate amount of O's players that are "suffering" in some way.

Look at Delmarva. It's a MASH unit. Unfortunately, no pun intended.

Where is Brian Roberts, BTW? We're how many games into the season?

Explain that one Doctor.

Obviously you prefer to believe the contrarian opinion that EVERYONE in the O's organization is busting their *** to the best of their ability to make this team the best that it can be. Really? We're in big trouble if your hypothesis is correct.

You seem to think that just the pleasure of competition would compel these gifted athletes give their all to being the best that they can be...for themselves (selfishly) and for the TEAM (selflessly). How thoughtful, how kind, how deep....how naive.

Granted, Dalles and Ohman were actually injured. Pitcher injuries (I get that except Mike Gonzalez) I'm not denying that either. What I was saying was that there is an inordinate amount of O's players that are "suffering" in some way.

Look at Delmarva. It's a MASH unit. Unfortunately, no pun intended.

Where is Brian Roberts, BTW? We're how many games into the season?

Explain that one Doctor.

You missed the entire point of his post and failed to answer the question.

Every one of these guys are prospects and looking to make the major leagues. Being on the DL doesn't get them there. It serves them on benefit.

You're failing to realize these guys live and breathe baseball. You have to in order to make it your profession and be as good as they are.

You're making it sound definite that they don't want to be in the field and are dogging it yet you ask for proof when you don't have any yourself.

You missed the entire point of his post and failed to answer the question.

Every one of these guys are prospects and looking to make the major leagues. Being on the DL doesn't get them there. It serves them on benefit.

You're failing to realize these guys live and breathe baseball. You have to in order to make it your profession and be as good as they are.

You're making it sound definite that they don't want to be in the field and are dogging it yet you ask for proof when you don't have any yourself.

His point is a Shangri La hypothesis where everyone does all the right things and human nature isn't in the equation.

We all want our hero's to achieve great heights by maximizing their God given talents. Some of us choose not to pretend.

His point is a Shangri La hypothesis where everyone does all the right things and human nature isn't in the equation.

We all want our hero's to achieve great heights by maximizing their God given talents. Some of us choose not to pretend.

I don't know how many professional athletes you have known.

I have known hundreds. Mentally and psychologically they come in all shapes and sizes, but nearly all of them share one trait: they are the most competitive people you will ever meet. And one thing they're obsessively competitive about is playing time. Those who have it want to keep it. Those who don't have it are jealous of those who do, and are always looking for an opening to get more.

Now, maybe the O's have somehow managed to corner the very small market on professional athletes who aren't competitive, and who don't really care whether they get playing time or not, but I sorta doubt it. I think it's more likely that you just don't know what you are talking about.

And you still didn't answer the question:

Why would a young professional athlete, trying to break into the big time and earn big time money, deliberately pretend to be hurt, in order to reduce his playing time?

Seriously... why would somebody do that?

WHY?

You're wasting your time. PBR knows the inside scoop. Those guys making the giant paydays down in A ball are living on easy street. When you're on the DL lying around in that basement your living in watching all the day time TV you want while your bank account grows by dollars and dollars everyday. Your family and friends are thousands of miles away while you're in this town where you know like 20 guys who are all living and breathing baseball everyday, but you're the lucky one who gets to sit in that basement while they play ball. Paradise man, paradise. I mean what's more fun than being on a minor league baseball team and not getting to play baseball?

I'd give this one a rest, unfortunately, just like most O's fans these days they are complaining because it makes them feel better. Everywhere you look on this board there are baseless accusations about players and the team and the GM. This is just someone else that feels better bashing the team because...OMG the sky is falling and the whole organization is a joke.

Trying to explain reality or trying to reason with them only makes your head hurt!

No Cowan? Is he back or was it just day to day?

I'm not sure what the status is on Cowan, but he isn't listed on the DL anymore. He's shown as active. Maybe we'll see him get back into a game soon.

I hate to break up this fantastic conversation with some real news, but Givens sprained his thumb sliding into a base. He's going for a MRI to determine the severity but he's out at least 4-6 weeks.

Real news? Who needs that? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the update.

I hate to break up this fantastic conversation with some real news, but Givens sprained his thumb sliding into a base. He's going for a MRI to determine the severity but he's out at least 4-6 weeks.

Hence the soft cast. Helps to immobilize the joint(s) incase of a potential stress fracture that is often missed on x-rays but not as rigid and not as quick to cause muscle atrophy. The severity of the sprain is important as to how quickly he can completely grip a bat and get it through the hitting zone with authority. Hopefully it is a mild ligament sprain (grade 1). Just as a side note when a muscle tendon is injured it is a strain and has a blood supply and ability to heal. A ligament is not vascularized and lacks elastic tissue so a ligament will scar and always be a little looser. Not that I am saying it will be a concern; but in case anybody every wondered the difference, or why a person continously sprains the same area.

I don't know how many professional athletes you have known.

I have known hundreds. Mentally and psychologically they come in all shapes and sizes, but nearly all of them share one trait: they are the most competitive people you will ever meet. And one thing they're obsessively competitive about is playing time. Those who have it want to keep it. Those who don't have it are jealous of those who do, and are always looking for an opening to get more.

Now, maybe the O's have somehow managed to corner the very small market on professional athletes who aren't competitive, and who don't really care whether they get playing time or not, but I sorta doubt it. I think it's more likely that you just don't know what you are talking about.

And you still didn't answer the question:

Why would a young professional athlete, trying to break into the big time and earn big time money, deliberately pretend to be hurt, in order to reduce his playing time?

Seriously... why would somebody do that?

OOOH tough guy.

Archived