Taillon to Pirates per KLaw Mock 6-4-10

FrankiePiliere

And, yeah for those of you who haven't read my article yet, my sources have me leaning towards Taillon at 2 now. Still a toss up I think

That sucks....

1. Nationals -- Bryce Harper, C, College of Southern Nevada

2. Pirates -- Jameson Taillon, RHP, The Woodlands (Texas) HS

3. Orioles -- Manny Machado, SS, Brito HS (Miami)

4. Royals -- Yasmani Grandal, C, Miami

5. Indians -- Drew Pomeranz, LHP, Ole Miss

6. Diamondbacks -- Chris Sale, LHP, Florida Gulf Coast Univ.

7. Mets -- Matt Harvey, RHP, North Carolina

8. Astros -- Josh Sale, OF, Bishop Blanchet HS (Seattle)

9. Padres -- Michael Choice, OF, Texas-Arlington

10. Athletics -- Zack Cox, 3B, Arkansas

11. Blue Jays -- Austin Wilson, OF, Harvard-Westlake HS (Studio City, Calif.)

12. Reds -- Deck McGuire, RHP, Georgia Tech

13. White Sox -- Bryce Brentz, OF, Middle Tennessee State

14. Brewers -- Jesse Biddle, LHP, Germantown Friends (Pa.) HS

15. Rangers -- Karsten Whitson, RHP, Chipley (Fla.) HS

Link

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed. My enthusiasm for the prospects really drops after Harper and Taillon. I may be inclined to select Pomeranz at 3 to set up dealing one of Tillman/Arrieta for a bat.

If there's that much separation between #s 1 & 2 overall and the rest of the 1st Round, then I guess there'd be no reason to be disappointed if the Orioles don't sign whomever they pick 1st. Then next year we could be looking at the #1 and #4 overall picks, plus maybe some extra picks later for Type A/B free agents. Imagine the boost to the farm system that would be.

If there's that much separation between #s 1 & 2 overall and the rest of the 1st Round' date=' then I guess there'd be no reason to be disappointed if the Orioles don't sign whomever they pick 1st. Then next year we could be looking at the #1 and #4 overall picks, plus maybe some extra picks later for Type A/B free agents. Imagine the boost to the farm system that would be.[/quote']

I'd actually be okay with this scenerio as you would come away with Rendon and one of the 3-4 stud college pitchers available in that draft. However, it would be a public relations disaster to fail to sign the #3 pick in the draft.

I'd actually be okay with this scenerio as you would come away with Rendon and one of the 3-4 stud college pitchers available in that draft. However, it would be a public relations disaster to fail to sign the #3 pick in the draft.

As far as the talent that we could get, I would agree with you. I think an argument could be made that Rendon+Purke/Cole in 2011 is greater than Rendon+1 year of development of Machado.

However, it'd be in extremely poor taste to take a player at #3 and not sign him having the #4 pick in 2011 in mind. Now if Machado or Taillon want 10 million to sign, but the organization value them at 4-5 million, that's one thing, but I'd hate to take a Sale or Whitson and purposely fail to sign them. Not suggesting that anyone here is saying that, but it obviously is not very ethical and it would be a disaster for future negotiations of draft signings.

And you're 100% right that this situation would be a public relations disaster. It would give steam to the Anti-McPhail movement, and it could perhaps hurt Jordan's job security. I had my hopes on Taillon for a long time, but now, I hope we just take Machado and spend an immense amount of money on overslotters.

As far as the talent that we could get, I would agree with you. I think an argument could be made that Rendon+Purke/Cole in 2011 is greater than Rendon+1 year of development of Machado.

However, it'd be in extremely poor taste to take a player at #3 and not sign him having the #4 pick in 2011 in mind. Now if Machado or Taillon want 10 million to sign, but the organization value them at 4-5 million, that's one thing, but I'd hate to take a Sale or Whitson and purposely fail to sign them. Not suggesting that anyone here is saying that, but it obviously is not very ethical and it would be a disaster for future negotiations of draft signings.

And you're 100% right that this situation would be a public relations disaster. It would give steam to the Anti-McPhail movement, and it could perhaps hurt Jordan's job security. I had my hopes on Taillon for a long time, but now, I hope we just take Machado and spend an immense amount of money on overslotters.

Ehh, I wouldn't go as far to assume the Pirates are taking Taillon based on these mocks. Yes, red flags to those of us who really want Taillon, but nothing is even close to set in stone. When did we start to see Hobgood mocked drafted by us last season? Wasn't it the day of the draft? For whatever reason, I just don't think the Pirates draft Taillon....If they do, I want Whitson or Harvey and spend big on overslotters later. I would also consider Sale and POSSIBLY Ranaudo, but as an outsider not knowing his true health, I am up in arms...

Ehh, I wouldn't go as far to assume the Pirates are taking Taillon based on these mocks. Yes, red flags to those of us who really want Taillon, but nothing is even close to set in stone. When did we start to see Hobgood mocked drafted by us last season? Wasn't it the day of the draft? For whatever reason, I just don't think the Pirates draft Taillon....If they do, I want Whitson or Harvey and spend big on overslotters later. I would also consider Sale and POSSIBLY Ranaudo, but as an outsider not knowing his true health, I am up in arms...

I know this is not scientific evidence or anything, but I work with a lot of people in Baton Rouge and a few of them follow LSU baseball very faithfully, and they have said Ranaudo has looked terrible since the injury. I don't have any specifics, just that he is not doing well. Seems the injury could be lingering.

So are you saying that if Taillon goes to the Pirates, you'd pick Machado if you were Jordan?

Boras is going to want a ton of money for Machado with him just being in HS, especially with the A-Rod comparisons so it will be interesting to see if the Orioles pick him at all...

Boras may want more than Wieters got.

What gives you hope that we could develop a college bat?

I'm not trying to be snarky this time around, just asking an honest question. At this point, I don't think the Orioles are good at developing much of anything.

Sorry to leave you hanging Moose.

A college bat typically has more polish and the O's instructors hopefully can't screw him up as much because he's already had some advanced development since HS and some experience with wood bats.

If Taillon is gone, I'm thinking the O's go with Sale.

That would be a mistake IMO as he's got that inverted W in his delivery that could lead to shoulder issues.

The safest pick still is Cox IMO. And I think (and hope) Jordan really wants to go position player if Taillon is not on the board.

I would say that Rendon + Purke/Cole is a much better combination. You could take Machado at #3 and offer him a good package for that slot (but not record breaking) and hold the line there. If you went that route, I would load up on overslot picks throughout the draft so that the funds for the #3 could be reallocated.

Archived