Taillon to Pirates per KLaw Mock 6-4-10

My gut feeling is that Sale is a bad pick. Haven't seen too many ML starting pitchers with his sidearming delivery. I don't hate the Cox pick and actually see your logic in drafting a safer college hitter. Still, there's a side of me that says you can't become a contender by drafting guys who project as average. Machado is riskier but many think has the higher ceiling. If you think Cox is a safe pick, how do you feel about Christian Colon?

I'm not a huge fan of Colon. Somebody who hits .342 in college isn't worth of the 3rd pick in the draft. His ability to stay at SS is also in question.

Cox has the better bat, and that's what we need desperately.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ehh, I wouldn't go as far to assume the Pirates are taking Taillon based on these mocks. Yes, red flags to those of us who really want Taillon, but nothing is even close to set in stone. When did we start to see Hobgood mocked drafted by us last season? Wasn't it the day of the draft? For whatever reason, I just don't think the Pirates draft Taillon....If they do, I want Whitson or Harvey and spend big on overslotters later. I would also consider Sale and POSSIBLY Ranaudo, but as an outsider not knowing his true health, I am up in arms...

Law is typically pretty tuned in when it comes to predicting his picks, especially just days before the draft. I believe the day before the draft Law put out the news about Sanchez and Hobgood, so he has been reliable. As of now, I wouldn't expect Taillon to a Baltimore Oriole.

Law is typically pretty tuned in when it comes to predicting his picks, especially just days before the draft. I believe the day before the draft Law put out the news about Sanchez and Hobgood, so he has been reliable. As of now, I wouldn't expect Taillon to a Baltimore Oriole.

I spoke this evening to a trusted acquaintance with good contacts in the Pittsburgh organization. His word is that as of today the Bucs are "leaning toward Taillon."

I'd actually be okay with this scenerio as you would come away with Rendon and one of the 3-4 stud college pitchers available in that draft. However, it would be a public relations disaster to fail to sign the #3 pick in the draft.

Rendon + Danny Hultzen....sign me up.

My gut feeling is that Sale is a bad pick. Haven't seen too many ML starting pitchers with his sidearming delivery. I don't hate the Cox pick and actually see your logic in drafting a safer college hitter. Still, there's a side of me that says you can't become a contender by drafting guys who project as average. Machado is riskier but many think has the higher ceiling. If you think Cox is a safe pick, how do you feel about Christian Colon?

I've got Cox, Machado, and Colon rated pretty closely myself. Deck McGuire and Drew Pomeranz are not that far behind. If we're going to dip that far, then I don't think Castellanos is out of the discussion either.

All of these guys are flawed but impressive talents. If Harper and Taillon are gone I'd defer to Jordan's judgment in distinguishing the best player among them.

Still, I'm curious why we haven't heard more about Karsten Whitson being a possibility. He's third on my board.

I think we will all be listening very closely when Pittsburgh is on the board. Their pick could radically change the course of our draft.

That would be a mistake IMO as he's got that inverted W in his delivery that could lead to shoulder issues.

The safest pick still is Cox IMO. And I think (and hope) Jordan really wants to go position player if Taillon is not on the board.

This is incorrect. He hunches his upper body exiting his kick, so even though his elbows are high, they actually do not raise much above the level of his shoulders.

I spoke this evening to a trusted acquaintance with good contacts in the Pittsburgh organization. His word is that as of today the Bucs are "leaning toward Taillon."

:angryfire::cussing: :angryfire::cussing: :angryfire::cussing: :angryfire::cussing: :angryfire::cussing:

I'm not a huge fan of Colon. Somebody who hits .342 in college isn't worth of the 3rd pick in the draft. His ability to stay at SS is also in question.

Cox has the better bat, and that's what we need desperately.

I guess you didn't follow him this year. His first four weeks were essentially his opportunity to get up to full game speed, having missed all of the Fall/Winter practices while recovering from his broken leg. He has been a beats since then. Also, more walks than strikeouts last year, this year and last summer for Team USA. While playing for Team USA, he lead the team in hits (34), triples (3), homeruns (5), slugging (.617), RBI (34), stolen bases (24) and assists (58), finished 4th in batting average (.362) and 2nd in OBP (.459). Oh, and he has added power to his game this spring, with 16 HR so far.

If Harper and Taillon are way above everyone else and there is no consensus third best player, should you go with the most talented guy next(Machado) or do you go with a "safe" pick...a college bat or pitcher?

I don't want to see another HS pitcher who isn't amongst the super elite again...We did that last year.

If Harper and Taillon are way above everyone else and there is no consensus third best player, should you go with the most talented guy next(Machado) or do you go with a "safe" pick...a college bat or pitcher?

I don't want to see another HS pitcher who isn't amongst the super elite again...We did that last year.

That's kinda the problem though, there is no clear cut most talented guy. Machado has gotten some hype due to being a SS, but I don't think he's more special than any of these other guys in the mix. I like Colon more honestly. There could really be like 4-5 guys for us at 3, I have NO clue who to say it will or should be because there is nothing that really separates them.

Boras is going to want a ton of money for Machado with him just being in HS, especially with the A-Rod comparisons so it will be interesting to see if the Orioles pick him at all...

Boras may want more than Wieters got.

Well then it might not turn out to be quite the same public relations disaster if we don't sign him and to go #1, #4 in the 2011 draft.

Why? Because they failed to develop the "super talented" Billy Rowell? :rolleyes:

Just what great talent have the Orioles failed to develop? I may be playing devil's advocate here but I think it's a fair question. Lot's of people have been dropping similar comments. I'd just like to know who the Orioles should have developed, that they haven't?

Jayson Werth. It took him almost six years to get the "New Oriole Way" out of his system.

In all seriousness, the Orioles ability to develop hitters should be called into question because they have produced so few offensive players over the last 20 years. Over that time period it almost unfathomable that a few more draft picks wouldn't have developed. It's my belief that the lack of organizational offensive production is a combination of poor draft selections and poor player development.

Hopefully this changes!

Archived