Just listened to Palmer on XM

El Gordo

I don't begrudge him his opinions. But I would really like to see Palmer actually attempt to coach or manage. He is a guy who matches all of the criteria that people seem to want in a manager. But he strikes me as a guy who does not want to be put in a situation where he would have to back up his rhetoric with action.

So that makes me take the things he says with an ever-so-small grain of salt.

I don't get that vibe at all. He's someone that played here during all the glory years, the only Oriole with all 3 rings....IIRC, he never played on a losing team. He's a brilliant baseball mind.

That said, why would he want to coach this sorry sack team? It's not exactly a great comparison, but why would a great baseball manager like La Russa or Torre or someone of that ilk ever step in and try to manage this team in its current state?

You said it yourself, what team wouldn't like Jim Palmer as their manager? If that's the case, why would he settle for a perennial cellar dweller in roughest division in baseball?

Palmer is a winner...winners aren't really interested in associating with losers.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agree with the "too nice" sentiment. A leader who is too nice is almost always disrespected and rarely gets the maximum out of his charges. Know any good managers, football coaches, businessmen, or generals who is known as being a "nice guy"? I don't.

Walter Alston was definitely a nice guy. HOFer, managed the Dodgers forever.

Wilbert Robinson, also HOFer. Once yelled at the team for making too much noise during a rally because they were going to wake up another player during his nap.

Dick Howser. .544 winning %. 2 pennants, 2 WS titles in eight years. Nice guy.

Tommy Lasorda. I'd assume a guy with a regular gig on The Baseball Bunch was a nice guy. Dodgers seem to be a recurring theme here.

Frank Selee was kind of a laid-back guy, known for clean baseball in a dirty era. His teams were more successful than the old NL O's.

Johnny Oates is still the only manager to take the Rangers to the postseason in 38 years.

I think there are probably almost as many nice managers as there are Earl Weavers and Billy Martins.

Palmer never wanted to manage. I think that is clear. Doesnt make him wrong. I dont think it is about him being leery of backing up rhetoric.

The guy put in his time. He enjoys himself and is cutting back on broadcasting now. He is actually kinda old now.

If we want an ex-Oriole player then Hoiles or Bill Ripken jump to my mind.

I would be positively spontanously orgasmic if Bill Ripken was picked.

Besides Bill Ripken, I'd also like to see BJ Surhoff. Where is our pipeline of coaches? A thought that has just hit me is over the past 13 years how many times have we had to worry about another team stealing our coaches?

You are crazy. Palmer is probably the best person around to give a good analysis of the Orioles. Just because he doesn't want to manage doesn't mean what he says is meaningless.

Really, he has to manage to prove his baseball knowledge and acumen? Utterly ridiculous assertion. Beyond preposterous.:rolleyes:

I don't get that vibe at all. He's someone that played here during all the glory years, the only Oriole with all 3 rings....IIRC, he never played on a losing team. He's a brilliant baseball mind.

That said, why would he want to coach this sorry sack team? It's not exactly a great comparison, but why would a great baseball manager like La Russa or Torre or someone of that ilk ever step in and try to manage this team in its current state?

You said it yourself, what team wouldn't like Jim Palmer as their manager? If that's the case, why would he settle for a perennial cellar dweller in roughest division in baseball?

Palmer is a winner...winners aren't really interested in associating with losers.

And he just doesn't want to work year round. He only does 1/2 to 2/3 of the games on TV. He likes to hang out in FL and play golf.

Besides why would you risk turning any of that hair gray from stress? :laughlol:

This is fair and I don't disagree. My point was only that Slappy asked for ANY nice guy manager and Torre obviously is one. So they exist, it's just a matter of being in the right situation and the Orioles are probably not that situation.

See above.

Oh, I didn't mean to say that someone with DT or Torre's style can't be successful, they just need a certain kind of clubhouse to succeed in. Putting a Showalter into that Yankee clubhouse obviously caused issues. While I think someone of that ilk would maybe instill a little discipline into the Orioles clubhouse.

Who are the inmates running the asylum I wonder?

Got to be Jones with his refusal to play deep.

Roberts with his head up his butt last year. Roberts daydreams too much.

Tejada again.

Last year with Melvin Mora and his blow up about playing time and they responded by giving him more time. Loser move there.

This is what comes to my mind immediately.

Who are the inmates running the asylum I wonder?

See this is what I am talking about. Palmer likes to speak in platitudes like this. I mean, what does he mean by that? Are people allowed to come and go as they please? Well no, we haven't heard any of that. Are people shirking curfews? Haven't heard any of that. Are people allowed to dictate when and where they play? I mean this could mean anything.

Got to be Jones with his refusal to play deep.

Roberts with his head up his butt last year. Roberts daydreams too much.

Tejada again.

Last year with Melvin Mora and his blow up about playing time and they responded by giving him more time. Loser move there.

This is what comes to my mind immediately.

They didn't give Mora more time, he had is playing time cut by 1/3.

Archived