Just listened to Palmer on XM

El Gordo

First of all..I know Jim Palmer. He has ABSOLUTELY no interest in any aspect of running this team. Not managing, not coaching, not front office. He is happy doing his broadcasts and he loves his life.

He has spent hours upon hours talking to and mentoring dozens of players on the field before games and in the locker rooms after games.He has never charged a dime for his insights.

He knows talent. He also knows bad baseball which he is paid to comment on.

If there is a voice of reason left in this bad franchise it is Jim Palmer.Go criticize someone else if you want to.... Palmer is the LAST guy Im worried about. In fact if we lose him...I think we have lost the best bind in the organization.

Damn Roy, no wonder Rod Tidwell didn't want to do the interview. You almost made me cry with this slap down:):D

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who are the inmates running the asylum I wonder?

In the past I would say Mora, Tejada, Payton, Millar, and Huff.

Since 3/4 of them are gone, I would say Tejada, Jones and ???

It is an interesting comment, for sure. But what I take from it is players making mistakes and not being held accountable for it.

A manager on the hot seat when he is 4.5 games out of first with the lowest payroll in the majors?

Believe it or not, yes... I live down here near Miami and they're always talking about Fredi vs. Hanley. Or at least they were for several weeks. Fredi's a hell of a manager, IMO... but the fact that there's been talk of replacing him if the Fish don't make the playoffs makes me think our standards here are way too low.

First of all..I know Jim Palmer. He has ABSOLUTELY no interest in any aspect of running this team. Not managing, not coaching, not front office. He is happy doing his broadcasts and he loves his life.

He has spent hours upon hours talking to and mentoring dozens of players on the field before games and in the locker rooms after games.He has never charged a dime for his insights.

If there is a voice of reason left in this bad franchise it is Jim Palmer.Go criticize someone else if you want to.... Palmer is the LAST guy Im worried about. In fact if we lose him...I think we have lost the best bind in the organization.

Hmmm, did you mean "mind"... or "behind"? :D

And thanks for the insight on Double Deuce. Other than Brooks, he's probably my all-time favorite Oriole, on and off the field.

I assume he was being sarcastic and insinuating that TC is not the right hitting coach?
He wasn't being sarcastic. He was genuinely supportive of Crowley. His point was young players can get the right coaching but it all goes out the window when they step into the batters box. Adam Jones is a great example. Crowley can't steop into the box with him, put his hands on the bat and restrain him from swinging at pitches in the dirt.

One thing I saw and never liked and wished Trembley had stopped was that stupid shaving cream pie thing when a player was being interviewed. What if some player had slipped and fell or pulled a hamstring doing this silly crap?

It seemed especially irritating and unprofessional to do this and in particular when the team had so few wins to begin with.:mad:

Of all the problems with the team you pick this?:confused:

Agree with the "too nice" sentiment. A leader who is too nice is almost always disrespected and rarely gets the maximum out of his charges. Know any good managers, football coaches, businessmen, or generals who is known as being a "nice guy"? I don't.

Lee Mazzilli was a hard ass. How did that work out?

One thing I saw and never liked and wished Trembley had stopped was that stupid shaving cream pie thing when a player was being interviewed. What if some player had slipped and fell or pulled a hamstring doing this silly crap?

It seemed especially irritating and unprofessional to do this and in particular when the team had so few wins to begin with.:mad:

I find it laughable that this irritated you. I welcomed that- ESPECIALLY with all of the talk about how tight the team is... and always seems to be. Anything to lighten the mood is highly welcome IMO.

I think most managers with quality rosters can win. I could manage the Yankees to a playoff berth.

Unless there is a manager who is a parasitic presence in the clubhouse, I really don't see how a manager can hold back a team from winning games they should be winning because of better talent.

I do think some managers can make a roster better, by what they say how they motivate and how they manage the game.

Let's face it -- if managers didn't make any difference in baseball there wouldn't be any.

Managers can only be "too nice" when they have lazy, unprofessional players who need someone to kick them in the rear in order to work hard. Good players work hard because they want to win. Lazy players only work hard when someone kicks them in the rear. IMO, the fact that these guys might need a "field general" type manager in order to produce is an indictment of the character of this entire team.

Good points, all valid, but perhaps I should clarify:

At this stage in his life, I doubt Palmer would be interested in taking on a challenge this large. IMO, he'd be more interested in calling some games and relaxing rather than the stress of taking on a task like this.

Now I can certainly see how that might be true.

Underwear commercials take a lot out of a man. He's earned the right to enjoy his golden years. :)

I think his point was a little different. He was saying that if Palmer isn't willing to "put himself out there" by being a manager or a coach, he shouldn't be criticizing the way the team is managed or coached or the way the players play. I get that point of view, but I don't agree with it. I want analysts who are critical and know what they are talking about, and that is who Palmer is. He made enough money as a player and announcer where he doesn't need to work every day 8 months out of the year, so if he doesn't want to do that, that's his right. I'm still very happy to have his insights. When he comes into the broadcast booth, he is always well prepared.

Archived