In regards to last years draft...

I'm really hoping the Pirates don't take Taillon. I know a lot of us have our hopes pinned to him, I definitely do...but the possibility exists that he won't be there when we're ready to pick.

Seems like there are a lot of questions about Machado but at the same time he seems to be considered by everyone a top 3 pick.

My question to you all is, if we pass on Machado and pick someone who wasn't picked as many to be a top 3, even top 10 pick like Hobgood was last year, what kind of message does that send? Will it fuel the fire that the O's are skimping on cost?*

*I realize that we did spend a considerable amount on the draft last year...however despite the FO denials, people consider Hobgood a pick of signability.

I was never upset with Hobgood. Too early to be down on the guy when he is just starting his professional career. If the Pirates take Tallion that would throw a wrench in what most fans want. But their are still alot of good players to take if this happens. Whiston, Sale, McGuire, Machado, or Pomeranez wouldn't be terrible options. I don't really like any of the bats for the Orioles but that my own personal preference.

We really don't know what we have in Matt Hobgood and aren't likely to know till he has a full season at Frederick. So really we can all scratch our heads and hope.

As for this year. If there is a hidden gem out there that is worthy of 1:3 then it must be really hidden. Folks are talking as if this choice is a make or break draft for Joe Jordan. Personally I think that was last year. If a player turns out to be Tim Lincecum that we passed on and Matt Hobgood turns out to be Jeff Ballard... Expect trouble! Joe Jordan can stack his board anyway he wants to. However reaching for players with 1:3 is going to be a nasty mistake this go round.

Archived