Prince Fielder - Go get him

JTrea81

It's time to do something bold.

Bold? Try foolish. Absolutely stupid to make a trade like this in the middle of a lost season and gut our young pitching in the process when we can simply wait till the off-season and sign free agents to provide the offense we need. One can only hope that the O's front office doesn't make a knee jerk trade like this in a vain attempt to put a positive spin on things.

We do not have the pitching depth at this moment to trade away our young pitchers. Trade veterans - keep the kids.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand why most people are saying it would require an extension, but I'd be willing to get him without an extension. You still have him under control through 2011. As always, it's a question of what it costs in players. Requiring an extension window will cost you more.

Great story. And totally relevant.

So let's talk to Trea about PREMIUM FREE AGENTS, WINING AND DINING, and WHO WOULD REPLACE MACPHAIL, and only those things. :laughlol: No matter what he posts, I'll find a way to do that, just for a short time, and see what happens. :D :clap3:

I understand why most people are saying it would require an extension, but I'd be willing to get him without an extension. You still have him under control through 2011. As always, it's a question of what it costs in players. Requiring an extension window will cost you more.
Through 2011?

That's next year. Trading for him without an extension would only be slightly less awful than releasing Matusz.

Through 2011?

That's next year. Trading for him without an extension would only be slightly less awful than releasing Matusz.

I'm aware of today's date.

Like I said, it depends what it costs. If they want a Bedard haul for a year and a half of Fielder, forget about it.

Here's more on why the O's and Brewers match up well:

In fact, the issue has become less about Fielder and more about the imbalanced mess the Brewers have become since 2008.

With a top-10 offense, they remain burdened for a second consecutive season with one of the game's worst pitching staffs.

Even if Fielder veered wildly from his pace to hit a career-low 27 homers in a full season and somehow challenged Barry Bonds' single-season record, the Brewers still would land at or near the bottom of their division. Pitching matters that much.

Of course, it no longer makes sense, business or otherwise, for the Brewers to imagine a future with Fielder in it. Most of their resources from here must be devoted to pitching. Otherwise, the Brewers have no future.

Nor is there any guarantee that the Brewers would get reliable pitching for Fielder. But they've got to at least try something else, because the current path is making them look like a one-hit wonder

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/95703494.html

The Orioles and Brewers have the exact opposite strengths, and both clubs can help each other by a Fielder trade.

Bold? Try foolish. Absolutely stupid to make a trade like this in the middle of a lost season and gut our young pitching in the process when we can simply wait till the off-season and sign free agents to provide the offense we need. One can only hope that the O's front office doesn't make a knee jerk trade like this in a vain attempt to put a positive spin on things.

We do not have the pitching depth at this moment to trade away our young pitchers. Trade veterans - keep the kids.

The free agents that are out there aren't as good as Fielder.

And we are going to have to make a trade like this eventually as no majors FAs are going to want to sign here. So Fielder is available now, so why not get him now?

The Orioles seem to be able to find and draft pitching, so the pitchers they trade can be replaced. And the Orioles can also sign a Ted Lilly or somebody like that to fill a rotation spot.

There is no Prince Fielder to sign.

To set this trade up, I'd be looking to trade Guthrie first, as he's under team control for a few more seasons and would be ideal for the Brewers, an arm that can help them right away. He's bounced back nicely from the WBC issues so I think they'd love to get him. Chris Tillman would be another arm in the package, and I'd probably keep Arrieta.

So Guthrie, Tillman, and two other prospects one being a position player like Snyder and another being a pitcher further away.

I think that would be a nice package to put together.

Imagine Guthrie with run support, and that's something the Brewers could provide him.

I'm aware of today's date.

Like I said, it depends what it costs. If they want a Bedard haul for a year and a half of Fielder, forget about it.

You mean a mediocre CF, a solid closer, a nice prospect, a mediocre RP prospect, and low-minors SP? That haul doesn't sound quite as impressive to me as the initial headline...

To set this trade up, I'd be looking to trade Guthrie first, as he's under team control for a few more seasons and would be ideal for the Brewers, an arm that can help them right away. He's bounced back nicely from the WBC issues so I think they'd love to get him. Chris Tillman would be another arm in the package, and I'd probably keep Arrieta.

So Guthrie, Tillman, and two other prospects one being a position player like Snyder and another being a pitcher further away.

I think that would be a nice package to put together.

Imagine Guthrie with run support, and that's something the Brewers could provide him.

This isn't much of a package...in terms of giving up a lot for the future.

While I would hate to give up Tillman for 1.5 years of Fielder, I may take the risk because we can get draft picks for Fielder if an extension isn't possible.

This isn't much of a package...in terms of giving up a lot for the future.

While I would hate to give up Tillman for 1.5 years of Fielder, I may take the risk because we can get draft picks for Fielder if an extension isn't possible.

What kind of trade would you offer?

I think it's easy at the moment to underestimate how undesirable a destination Baltimore has become for any player with a choice. In other words, any player not currently in an Orioles uniform worth having.

I'm not a fan of paying an exorbitant amount for Prince Fielder and I think the Orioles aren't likely to anyway so we needn't worry. My larger concern is that the Orioles won't realize that they first have to raise the team to a minimum competitive level - something "The Plan" was designed to do but so far hasn't.

It's reasonable to demand an increase in both the level and type of risk the team should be taking at the moment. We suck, plain and simple, and a change in approach is clearly indicated if we're going to ever be taken seriously enough to attract the additional players our own system won't provide. Debating the price is worth the trouble, but right now complacency is the larger enemy.

What on Earth is a "lost season"?

What kind of trade would you offer?

Its tough for me to say..I don't particularly want to sign him without an extension but I also don't particularly want to give him the extension it will require to get him at this point.

So, for me I guess I would be ok giving up one of Arrieta, Tillman or Britton because we will get 2 picks if he walks and one of them will likely be a first rounder as the team signing him will probably have a better record and be in the bottom half of the first round..but I would really hate to do that.

Would really like to be able to get him for Guthrie, Bergeson, Snyder and some kind of combo of guys like Mickolio, Patton, etc..and lower level prospects with upside(say 2-3 more guys total) but I don't see that being likely.

Its tough for me to say..I don't particularly want to sign him without an extension but I also don't particularly want to give him the extension it will require to get him at this point.

So, for me I guess I would be ok giving up one of Arrieta, Tillman or Britton because we will get 2 picks if he walks and one of them will likely be a first rounder as the team signing him will probably have a better record and be in the bottom half of the first round..but I would really hate to do that.

Would really like to be able to get him for Guthrie, Bergeson, Snyder and some kind of combo of guys like Mickolio, Patton, etc..and lower level prospects with upside(say 2-3 more guys total) but I don't see that being likely.

Yeah I would rather trade Tillman for someone like Smoak but I just don't see it being possible. I guess Chris Davis (not for Tillman) is still an option. Fielder may be one of the only big hitters out there.

Maybe Kyle Blanks? The Padres are doing fine without him, though their offense is pretty bad. Maybe Guthrie (California guy) and someone like Wigginton or Scott?

Yeah I would rather trade Tillman for someone like Smoak but I just don't see it being possible. I guess Chris Davis (not for Tillman) is still an option. Fielder may be one of the only big hitters out there.

Maybe Kyle Blanks? The Padres are doing fine without him, though their offense is pretty bad. Maybe Guthrie (California guy) and someone like Wigginton or Scott?

Yea. with Blanks struggling and the Pads winning, they won't be dealing AGon at all...so that opens up the possibility of getting Blanks I would think.

Archived