2011 Draft Chat...

10 names to watch for 2011

Anthony Rendon, 3B, Rice: Rendon heads into the summer as the best bat in the Class of 2011. He should hit for average and plenty of power. He's got great discipline at the plate and the ball just jumps off of his bat. He gets good marks for his defense at third as well, with excellent range, hands, and arm strength from the hot corner. He has the chance to be a true impact player in the big leagues.

Man it would be tempting to forfeit the rest of the season just to make sure we get this guy.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad to say, but its looking more and more like we will be the worst team in baseball this year. Rendon looks like a great player who will move quick playing for one of the best programs in the country.

Does anyone know if he is playing on the Cape this year? It will be interesting to see what he does with the wood bat.

Just reading a few things about the 2011 class and I will not be disappointed at all if we don't sign Machado. I think we could get Rendon and an impact arm with the 1 and 4 picks next season.

This has been milled about over and over. A 2nd year forfeiture pick has 0 leverage whatsoever. You either have to meet the demands of the player (and agent), or go for the easy sign.

Had Manny Machado been picked with a forfeiture pick this year, he would probably sign for much higher, for example.

This has been milled about over and over. A 2nd year forfeiture pick has 0 leverage whatsoever. You either have to meet the demands of the player (and agent), or go for the easy sign.

Had Manny Machado been picked with a forfeiture pick this year, he would probably sign for much higher, for example.

No doubt that topic has been discussed a few times. I'll add that the leverage for the player will probably be lessened as well as the looming CBA discussions will likely include fixed slotting. Nevertheless, if the ended up with #1 and #4, I'd expect them to take one of the high profile college pitchers and get the deal done...No excuses.

No doubt that topic has been discussed a few times. I'll add that the leverage for the player will probably be lessened as well as the looming CBA discussions will likely include fixed slotting. Nevertheless, if the ended up with #1 and #4, I'd expect them to take one of the high profile college pitchers and get the deal done...No excuses.

This puts them on the hook for 2-3 million dollars in additional money.

It's just a fool's game to try and deal from a position of 0 leverage.

This puts them on the hook for 2-3 million dollars in additional money.

It's just a fool's game to try and deal from a position of 0 leverage.

Let me be clear, I want to sign Machado; I'm bracing for Boras doing the $10 million dance. But if they don't sign Machado, they need to select one of the college pitchers and get a deal done. The early college pitcher crop next year (Cole, Gray, Purke, Jungman, Armstrong) is going to get big money regardless; well above slot. The money will be significant enough that the player shouldn't risk walking away either. I don't throw the team's money around like some, but if they have to spend a few extra bucks to get one of the advance college pitchers in that class, then so be it. And, as I pointed out, I don't think it is entirely 0 leverage when you factor in hard slotting around the corner and the risk for a 3rd year college guy to walk from what will probably be in excess of $6 million.

A few things we should pray will happen: The Orioles for once finish with the worst record in the league and will finally not pick 3rd or 4th but 1st.

Second we can only hope for either Tejada or Millwood to have a great season, not accept arbitration and maybe get an additional pick next year.

Archived