Who is the "safest" pick in the draft?

Well, safe isn't me saying take a guy that should be a good reliever.

I am still talking about a guy that isn't some reach at #3....Colon seems to represent that.

He only represents that because you have him in mind when saying "safe".

He only represents that because you have him in mind when saying "safe".

He is likely to be a top 10ish guy...If so, there isn;'t much difference between 3 and 8.

You said yourself that you question whether the Orioles can develop Machado.

So, if you think that, even if you believe Machado has more upside, I think you go with the safer player.

Now, maybe you prefer someone else to Colon and that's fine...But I don't see Colon as some crazy reach at #3.

I would say Alex Wimmers or Brandon Workman. I think both will move very fast and if moved to the pen both could be up by seasons end. I actually think although not a real flashy guy Alex Wimmers could be a nice #3-4 starter for someone. Jesse Hahn is another player I see as being pretty safe. As far as non-pitchers I agree Colon is about as safe a bet as there is.

He is likely to be a top 10ish guy...If so, there isn;'t much difference between 3 and 8.

You said yourself that you question whether the Orioles can develop Machado.

So, if you think that, even if you believe Machado has more upside, I think you go with the safer player.

Now, maybe you prefer someone else to Colon and that's fine...But I don't see Colon as some crazy reach at #3.

Eh, I'm hitting at a different point but it's not really worth hashing out. Probably not that interesting.

I ranked Colon ahead of Machado. Colon #8 overall. Machado #10. I think Colon is fine at 1:3, but I think you may not be getting what you should there (with Whitson/Sale still on the board). But it's a defensible pick, for sure.

Eh, I'm hitting at a different point but it's not really worth hashing out. Probably not that interesting.

I ranked Colon ahead of Machado. Colon #8 overall. Machado #10. I think Colon is fine at 1:3, but I think you may not be getting what you should there (with Whitson/Sale still on the board). But it's a defensible pick, for sure.

Nick, I hadn't even realized that you had Sale as the top college arm in the draft. I think 4th overall is the highest I've seen him.

What do you love about him? That sinking fastball should make him a pretty strong GB pitcher, right?

I worry a little bit about his arm slot, delivery and frame holding up against injuries. I'd like to hear more about what you think of him if you've got a minute.

Nick, I hadn't even realized that you had Sale as the top college arm in the draft. I think 4th overall is the highest I've seen him.

What do you love about him? That sinking fastball should make him a pretty strong GB pitcher, right?

I worry a little bit about his arm slot, delivery and frame holding up against injuries. I'd like to hear more about what you think of him if you've got a minute.

Easy velo with big sink and late run. Change, again, with good sink and fade. Slider is fringy but good velo differential and is more than enough to prevent hard squaring (in my opinion). I think there's enough vertical movement to his FB that the arm slot isn't as big an issue as it was for someone like, say, Purke. Has shown to be fairly durable. Should move quickly and earn bonus, even if he doesn't hold up for 20-yr career. I think he is good bet to earn back bonus plus some.

Archived