Pie in the Face?

Dipper9

So its okay for NFL players to give their coaches a gatorade bath for their first win, but not for the O's players to give their coach a pie in the face for his first win because we suck? Interesting.

I think that is the qualifier right there. If we had a better record, it would okay to celebrate the first win. As it stands right now, NO smiling, no pies, no fun and certainly no gum.

-Don

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that is the qualifier right there. If we had a better record, it would okay to celebrate the first win. As it stands right now, NO smiling, no pies, no fun and certainly no gum.

-Don

If we had a better record there would be no-need to celebrate Samuel's first win.

I'm not arguing that. Jones needs to do better, a lot better in that regard. But begrudging them a little fun, in private it should be noted again, isn't going to make them play any better.

Being on edge and tense in the workplace everyday is totally the way to increase productivity.

My belief all along has been that this team's primary problem is a bunch of young guys trying too hard, so blowing off a little steam and trying to honestly start fresh under a new skipper is a very good thing.

Having the imported free agent closer blow both Opening Day and the home opener severely undermined the 2010 Orioles IMHO. Things really just snowballed with the injuries, etc. on top of that.

It's too bad that the season's already a lost cause just a third of the way in, but the players still have to play it and addicted fans still have to watch it, so I'm all for enjoying the triumphs the rest of the way as they occur with increasing frequency.

So where's the line? At what point would you approve of the whole pie-to-the-face thing? Is there a certain winning percentage at which it would be acceptable to you? Or do pies in the face in general irk you?

By the way...in case you haven't noticed? They're trying to create a little clubhouse tradition and chemistry with the pie thing. We'd all prefer they'd just win obviously, but this is a non-issue and I can't believe anyone would find anything negative in it.

Look I'm not saying it's some huge issue. In general it does irk me. As far as a line, I'm not sure I can draw a line for you. However, if you're on pace to be one of the worst teams in MLB history I think celebrating not getting swept at home is just not "pie worthy." I would take you back to a point I made earlier about a football team getting their brains beat in and then celebrating after scoring a TD. There are times to do it and times when you don't do it.

They've been trying to create clubhouse chemistry with this pie thing for over a year now. If it hasn't happened yet, it probably won't happen.

If we had a better record there would be no-need to celebrate Samuel's first win.

Disagree here. Samuel's been in professional baseball for 30+ years and he'll only be able to win his first game as a big league manager once. The celebration was a form of respectfully acknowledging his milestone.

Very true, but I hope you caught my previous sarcasm, because I was laying it on pretty thick. :P

I'm glad they finally had something to smile about. I would have hit myself in the face with a shaving cream pie yesterday as well, but my shaving gel doesn't fluff up enough to make it funny looking.

-Don

Man, I liked pies in the face back before it was popular [takes a drag from hand-rolled cigarette] man.

:rolleyes:If all you're going to do is make comments to make other sound like they're taking extreme positions then I'd prefer you just keep them to yourself.

I think a pie in the face of the manager is disrespectful. Could you imagine any player doing that to Earl Weaver? Hell, no and it shouldn't be done to Juan Samuel or any Orioles manager EVER. The players is one thing but the manager deserves more respect than this. Utterly ridiculous IMO.:(

If it had been "just a win", okay maybe the attempted pie in the face of Juan Samuel would have been over the top. It was the guy's first MLB win as manager. Not to mention Jones deliberately waited for the cameras to stop rolling. Had we all hustled out of the interview room a little quicker we might have missed it.

As far as acting like it's expected? I can't stress enough. It's not like the corks were popping in the clubhouse yesterday. I'll say it again...it barely felt like a win. Had it not been for the music playing, it might have been hard to tell it was a win at all. I might even go as far as to say that some of the players felt a little embarassed at the "How big was this win?" question (which I purposely avoided, by the way, with all but Craig Tatum who I asked, "Nice to have some music playing in here again?"). Nick Markakis responded to a "Congratulations on ending the 10-game losing streak!" one reporter started him off with and Nick did a double-take, halfway shrugged a shoulder, winced, and said, "Uh...thanks." And then silence. And then I think it hit him that cameras were rolling, so he dove into the cliche answers.

I hate to say, "You weren't there so you don't know," but I'm gonna. Yeah...they tried to congratulate/initiate their new skipper, but that was about it. Any perception that any O's players were in a celebratory mood are absolutely incorrect.

Thanks for the insight. I stand corrected!

I think a pie in the face of the manager is disrespectful. Could you imagine any player doing that to Earl Weaver? Hell, no and it shouldn't be done to Juan Samuel or any Orioles manager EVER. The players is one thing but the manager deserves more respect than this. Utterly ridiculous IMO.:(

I hate the Yankees, and understand that it was the World Series, but...

girardi-piejpeg-cd001196390636ff_large.jpeg

So where's the line? At what point would you approve of the whole pie-to-the-face thing? Is there a certain winning percentage at which it would be acceptable to you? Or do pies in the face in general irk you?

By the way...in case you haven't noticed? They're trying to create a little clubhouse tradition and chemistry with the pie thing. We'd all prefer they'd just win obviously, but this is a non-issue and I can't believe anyone would find anything negative in it.

If that's the case, then we are once again behind the Yankees, because they do the pie in the face thing about BIG wins as well.

I'm beginning to feel sorry I started this thread! :o

...And Juan Samuel had a good time with it. It wasn't anywhere close to 'disrespectful'. The whole thing happened about a foot away from me.

Samuel admitted on Friday that there was a bit of awkwardness, that he considered Dave Trembley a personal friend, and I'm sure that may have led to some awkward feelings between Samuel and the guys who were open Trembley supporters.

Maybe in addition to everything else I mentioned in this thread, it was kind of an ice breaker? A way for the players to let Samuel know they've got his back? They're warm to the idea of him as manager?

Archived