Machado speaks to Melweski

http://masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2010/06/quotes-and-comments-from-manny-machado.html

Q: What was today like for you and did you think you would be drafted by the O's?

Machado: "I was just here, hanging out with my family, sitting around, waiting for my name to be pronounced over the TV. It was a great feeling once I heard my name. My heart dropped, all the nervousness went away and it was just a great feeling, it's a good opportunity. The Orioles have paid much attention to me this year, it's been a good year and I look forward."

Q: Any thoughts on the player you'd like to become and do you have Major Leaguers as a role model?

Machado: "Yes I do. I'm really going to work hard, whether I play or not. Just work hard and get up to what I'm going to be. Just gain some weight, get some pounds and get stronger and get better. Try to be a Major Leaguer soon."

Q: Do you have a favorite big leaguer you emulate?

Machado: "I'm just Manny Machado. You can't be like anybody else, you've got to be yourself."

Q: Maybe it's unfair for any young player to be compared to Alex Rodriguez, but you have as a young shortstop from South Florida. How do you deal with that?

Machado: "You know, it's a great honor to be compared to A-Rod, one of the greatest players of all time. It's just a great feeling to be compared to A-Rod, it's delightful."

Q: You are a young man facing the chance to make a lot of money, have you thought about that?

Machado: "I haven't really thought of that aspect, you know, I'm just taking it one day at a time. Today I just got drafted, so we're just taking it one day at a time."

Q: Do you follow the O's at all and any idea of any players on their team?

Machado: "Well, yeah, I've seen a couple of games when they play Tampa, the Yankees. I really haven't put any mind into any team or anything. Baltimore Orioles are in Baltimore, that's kind of what I know."

Hopefully he grows to like this organization, and learns a little bit about it as well...

The sooner we sign him, the better. This kid could be in Baltimore in 2013 if all goes well...

I like the idea of him just being himself.

Trea, not trying to bait you here, i'm genuinely curious becuase I haven't seen you opine yet... but what do you think of the pick?

BTW, thanks for posting this & the Jordan remarks. You're on top of it tonight!

I like the idea of him just being himself.

Trea, not trying to bait you here, i'm genuinely curious becuase I haven't seen you opine yet... but what do you think of the pick?

BTW, thanks for posting this & the Jordan remarks. You're on top of it tonight!

I like the pick. Like others I'm worried about the development, but he does seem to be a little more advanced for a HS kid.

If he can be Ripken-esque we'll have a nice SS for years to come.

I wanted Cox at this spot orginally because I wasn't a huge fan of Taillon as HS pitchers are a major risk, but he wants too much IMO, so Machado makes sense, especially with all the tools he brings to the table.

I like the pick. Like others I'm worried about the development, but he does seem to be a little more advanced for a HS kid.

If he can be Ripken-esque we'll have a nice SS for years to come.

I wanted Cox at this spot orginally because I wasn't a huge fan of Taillon as HS pitchers are a major risk, but he wants too much IMO, so Machado makes sense, especially with all the tools he brings to the table.

Yeah Cox dropping that far didn't shock me all that much, Brentz dropping out of the first surprised me a bit though.

Melweski was really fishing for Machado to name A-Rod on his own as a role model, then a favorite big leaguer, and finally as someone you emulate. Once he knew Machado wouldn't go for the bait, he just flat out asks him.

Not a fan of the money question either.

I hope Machado gets some better interviews.

Melweski was really fishing for Machado to name A-Rod on his own as a role model, then a favorite big leaguer, and finally as someone you emulate. Once he knew Machado wouldn't go for the bait, he just flat out asks him.

Not a fan of the money question either.

I hope Machado gets some better interviews.

These were a collection of questions from a conference call with a bunch of reporters. Steve may or may not have asked any/all of these questions.

I wasn't a big fan of the pick until I saw this interview. It's really refreshing to hear someone that just wants to be himself and be the best player he can be, yet doesn't have the diva complex that certain other players Melewski compared him to have.

It would have been such an easy cop-out to say "I would love to emulate Cal Ripken Jr." That would also create absurdly high expectations. Good for him for keeping himself grounded, yet also determined enough to strike his own path.

These were a collection of questions from a conference call with a bunch of reporters. Steve may or may not have asked any/all of these questions.

True, Steve was part of a conference call of Baltimore reporters. He doesn't seem like one to ask that money question.

I wasn't a big fan of the pick until I saw this interview. It's really refreshing to hear someone that just wants to be himself and be the best player he can be, yet doesn't have the diva complex that certain other players Melewski compared him to have.

It would have been such an easy cop-out to say "I would love to emulate Cal Ripken Jr." That would also create absurdly high expectations. Good for him for keeping himself grounded, yet also determined enough to strike his own path.

Well he is just a HS kid and I think he came across pretty darn good. Unlike Billy Rowell who guaranteed he would make the major league hall of fame!:eek::laughlol:

I think he came across pretty good as well. Also he tweeted earlier something to the effect that he already loves the fan base in Baltimore and can't wait to see the city. You got to love to see that.

I think he came across pretty god as well. Also he tweeted earlier something to the effect that he already loves the fan base in Baltimore and can't wait to see the city. You got to love to see that.

First we had Jesus and now the Father himself? ;)

Just Manny being Manny is a "god" thing thus far. Manmac? :eektf:

Well he is just a HS kid and I think he came across pretty darn good. Unlike Billy Rowell who guaranteed he would make the major league hall of fame!:eek::laughlol:

I think Billy Rowell will settle for making the majors in any capacity now :eek:.

Archived