BREAKING NEWS- Duquette Resigns

bej6789

Signing Guthrie was a far better move. They made some good signings. The problem I had with them was the bad signings they made and not making use of all of the good signings, i.e., if they didnt' sign guys like Huff and Payton, they would have had plenty of at bats for guys like House and Knott.

I agree Guthrie was a good find. If I remember correctly, Trembley and one of the minor league scouts pushed hard for his signing...and I guess that's the sort of thing that Flannagan and Duquette would not really follow closely. If you tally up the things that F&D were most likely directly responsible for, then it's a pretty ugly list. Trachsel probably was Duq's best move. The 40 million invested into the bullpen, Gibbon's contract, etc., all look pretty ugly.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have to give credit for Guthrie to Duquette even if it was Tembley who pushed for it. That's what GM's do. They listen to scouts & so forth. Pretty tough to properly evaluate Duquette, especially after just one year. How much was he really allowed to do? We know he tried to trade BRob and wasn't allowed to. What other trades wasn't he allowed to do? Perhaps if he had more power, Tejada would have been dealt to the Angels or the Astros. Duke might look even worse right now or he might look better. I think he's an average baseball guy who was put into an unwinnable (untenable?) position. I didn't like the bullpen moves overall, but really, it was only Baez that killed him. Baez & Payton were horrible moves, IMO. I'm skeptical, but McPhail looks to have the most power of any O's GM inluding Gillick. The credit or blame will be much easier to dole out this time.

Duquette still built a team to be 500...He ignored the future...He spent a lot of money on the BP when he didn't have to.

He wanted to go after guys like Luis Gonzalez...40 y/o with no future.

Duq started off good and said the right things but he ended up bad...Did he have a great chance? Probably not.....But his philosophies and things he seemed to value were terrible IMO and i am not sure that would have changed.

Angelos wants to prove he is a winner before he dies.

Hitler started WWII five years before his generals thought his military was ready for it. It was because Hitler thought he was gonna die. These personal things get in the way of great enterprises all the time and lots of people suffer.:eek:

I can't belive I compared Angelos to Hitler! LOL.

Hitler started WWII five years before his generals thought his military was ready for it. It was because Hitler thought he was gonna die. These personal things get in the way of great enterprises all the time and lots of people suffer.:eek:

That's so thoroughly, misbegottenly inappropriate, I don't even know where to begin.

Normally, I wouldn't touch a post like this with a bargepole, but I believe your wrong. I think 1942 was the projected target date, not 1944.

But I digress...

(Not only that, but now I'm going to have to go and look it up! Curse you, Gurgi!) :rolleyes:

Cut me some slack its the off season already! I'm still addicted to Orioles stuff in a house where no one else cares and I am going crazy already.:(

(Mainly I am using the Germany navy as saying they were five years away from being able to compete in a war.)

Cut me some slack its the off season already! I'm still addicted to Orioles stuff in a house where no one else cares and I am going crazy already.:(

(Mainly I am using the Germany navy as saying they were five years away from being able to compete in a war.)

Which is correct.

Pretty tough to properly evaluate Duquette, especially after just one year.

Wasn't it two years? I thought he joined in the Fall of 2005, shortly after Flanny was promoted.

I think he has a mixed record. Some moves were OK last winter, but I have trouble with (1) Britton for Wright, (2) Baez 3/$19 mm, (3) Payton 2/$9.5 mm, and (4) Bako.

Archived