Connor Narron- 5th round- SS, C.B. Aycock HS (NC)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kid lives 30 minutes from me. I haven't seen him play, but I can tell you he comes from a baseball family. He will certainly know the game and can't be all bad if North Carolina recruited him. (Pains me to say that - hate the Heels). Not sure about his on-field talent, but I am willing to bet he will definitely know the game.

http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/962992.html

Bio: Perfect Game ranks Narron No. 51 nationally and No. 1 in the state. Impact Baseball has him ranked No. 2 in the state . Narron also was honored as an AFLAC All-American.

Narron has tremendous baseball bloodlines. His father, Jerry, was a major league player for 10 years and managed the Texas Rangers and Cincinnati Reds, while his uncle Johnny is a coach with the Rangers.

Recruitment: A couple of connections bridged the path to Chapel Hill for the talented infielder. His recruitment began with North Carolina during his sophomore campaign. "I think it was my 10th grade year," Narron said. "I am good buddies with Garrett Davis and I think I went up there a couple times to a baseball game and they started talking with me. They watched me during the summer - that summer in Georgia - and it went from there basically. They have always kind of had tabs on me with Garrett Davis and Rob Wooten."

Narron verbally committed to North Carolina over his other top finalists Southern California, UCLA, Arizona State and Texas. He also had significant interest from virtually all of the top Division I baseball programs, including LSU, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, and Georgia Tech.

Narron added that his participation with the Dirtbags also helped his exposure, recruitment and decision to commit to UNC. "The Dirtbag program is probably one of the best summer league teams that you can play on," he said. "They are always one of the top programs in the nation and I think that seven or eight of the guys on the Dirtbags are going to North Carolina. You always meet great people when you are going to the big tournaments either in Jupiter [Florida] or [East Cobb] Georgia and all that. But I just feel like the Dirtbags are a great organization and a great summer team - it was a great experience."

Why Carolina? "I think the academics part of it speaks for itself - [North Carolina] is one of the top public universities in the whole country," Narron said. "They are always one of the top schools in every sport from field hockey to swimming - I guess they are good in everything. That is a good place for me and they are also only an hour from the house. Pretty much every big school talked with me and was interested in me going there, but I felt that Carolina was the best school that I could go to."

Narron elaborated that his mother and father were supportive of his decision-making process: "They did not care if I was going to go to Southern California or North Carolina - they supported me the whole way."

Scouting Report: Narron is a switch-hitting infielder - left handed he has better bat speed while right handed more lift and power. The ball jumps off of his bat and he shows good power potential. He squares up on the ball well from both sides of the plate.

He has above average speed, being clocked at 7.01 for 60 yards. He has a quick release, with a strong accurate arm, and smooth fielding to go along with great defensive instincts.

Narron has had national exposure at a myriad of events, so he's been scouted a lot, and almost all of the scouts agree that he has a tremendous potential in every facet of the game. Some scouts believe that his best projected position will end up being at third base as he matures.

Coaches Quotes: "As a baseball player he is very, very fundamentally sound," stated Aycock head coach Charles Davis. "Having grown up around the game basically his whole life he knows what it takes to play at the next level. He is out here on Saturdays and Sundays and things like that, taking ground balls and extra batting practice. He has his mind set on what it takes to become a very good ballplayer and he works at it. He carries himself like a baseball player and knows what it takes to be a baseball player. He's very strong defensively with good range. Offensively he is a switch hitter and hits with power from both sides and his speed is not bad either."

Dirtbags coach Andy Partin added: "Connor Narron is a really polished player on the defensive end and the offensive end. He is a very sure-handed infielder and very accurate. A very instinctive player on defense, he always appears to be in the right spot. Offensively I think he can be a catalyst both from the left and right side - he can really juice it at the plate into the gap. I have not seen a hitter at the high school level with that kind of eye - two strikes just do not matter to him - he is going to take a strike in order to get a better ball to hit. He will just not swing at a pitcher's pitch. He is just a really good player, who plays hard, who comes from a great baseball family and he is really a joy to be around and a lot of fun to coach."

Future Plans: Narron is regarded as one of the top high school position players in the upcoming Major League Draft and has been very popular with the scouts, cross-checkers and front office decision makers. His pedigree speaks highly of his abilities along with his noted work ethic.

Narron realizes that he will have a big decision in front of him after the 2010 draft. "It is not about the money or the money standpoint - that is not why I would sign," he said. "Because I feel like if I go to Carolina for three years or if I sign out of high school I am going to make it to the big leagues at some point, so money is not an issue. It depends on how bad that team wanted me and how much they like me and would not just throw a draft pick out there. I probably would not go if I was taken in the seventh or eighth round or later. It would have an early round - I would not just go."

Narron is currently projected to be selected in the top five rounds.

Nice profile here: http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/962992.html

Scouting Report: Narron is a switch-hitting infielder - left handed he has better bat speed while right handed more lift and power. The ball jumps off of his bat and he shows good power potential. He squares up on the ball well from both sides of the plate.

He has above average speed, being clocked at 7.01 for 60 yards. He has a quick release, with a strong accurate arm, and smooth fielding to go along with great defensive instincts.

Narron has had national exposure at a myriad of events, so he's been scouted a lot, and almost all of the scouts agree that he has a tremendous potential in every facet of the game. Some scouts believe that his best projected position will end up being at third base as he matures.

Also, heavily recruited by many major programs.

Archived