Connor Narron- 5th round- SS, C.B. Aycock HS (NC)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why's anyone arguing with a .600 OBP?

Exactly. Either the opposing pitchers couldn't find the strike zone or they weren't giving the kid anything to hit. Last time I checked, UNC was the type of program that is pretty darn selective over who gets a scholarship; Not to mention be the guy to take over at SS. But I suppose high school stats and a Youtube clip where the kid strikes out tells the whole story. :scratchchinhmm:

Exactly. Either the opposing pitchers couldn't find the strike zone or they weren't giving the kid anything to hit. Last time I checked, UNC was the type of program that is pretty darn selective over who gets a scholarship; Not to mention be the guy to take over at SS. But I suppose high school stats and a Youtube clip where the kid strikes out tells the whole story. :scratchchinhmm:

What he struck out? In HS? If he strikes out in HS, imagine what he'll do when he faces really good pitching. No, this just isn't good at all.

I knew Ryan Leaf was going to be a bust b/c I heard he threw an INT in HS. I said, he can't even trick these HS DB's, what is he going to do in the NFL.

I knew Ryan Leaf was going to be a bust b/c I heard he threw an INT in HS. I said, he can't even trick these HS DB's, what is he going to do in the NFL.

Even the last name of Leaf was a dead give away. You never would confuse a leaf as a bullet or frozen rope. A leaf just lazily falls to the ground.

In some seriousness, the strike zone in HS is typically larger as the pitching talent is usually not consistant enough to pitch in the zone. So hopefully he has the kind of batting eye that will not swing out of the zone which will force the pro pitchers have to get him out in the zone. Give me a Markakis or Reimold eye vs a Jones swinging at pitches in the dirt and 8 inches off the plate.

At the HS level, they only mean anything if they're bad, honestly.

Exactly. Hitting .500 in high school ball really doesn't mean a whole lot but hitting .300 against high school pitching tells a bunch.

Narron sounds like he has some tools, but unless he was facing a professional prospect every game you have to wonder about the .310 average, even if he did draw a lot of walks.

I always say the same thing about minor league league stats. Being successful in the minor leagues does not always guarantee major league success but doing poorly in the minor league almost always spells doom.

I don't know this kid from boo and after talking with Jordan I know he really likes this kid, but hitting .310 in high school is a red flag for me.

So...the guy had 108 at bats and hit .310. To hit .410, he would have needed 6 more hits. I'm not sure that the difference between 6 hits is really that big of a deal.

My bigger concern would be his ability to stay at SS and how does his power project if he's moved to 3rd.

Exactly. Hitting .500 in high school ball really doesn't mean a whole lot but hitting .300 against high school pitching tells a bunch.

Narron sounds like he has some tools, but unless he was facing a professional prospect every game you have to wonder about the .310 average, even if he did draw a lot of walks.

I always say the same thing about minor league league stats. Being successful in the minor leagues does not always guarantee major league success but doing poorly in the minor league almost always spells doom.

I don't know this kid from boo and after talking with Jordan I know he really likes this kid, but hitting .310 in high school is a red flag for me.

I agree that hitting .310 in high school is a red flag, but I'm willing to give him a chance. The scouts think he's got some tools, we know he's got some bloodlines, and there's enough info out there to make you wonder if he was even 100% healthy during his senior season.

In the past, I don't think I would've given Narron a second thought, thinking, ".310 in high school?! No way he'll amount to anything in the pros." But last year the Phillies drafted a 1Bman named Jonathan Singleton (8th round) who had a good track record going into his senior season and then disappointed, hitting .321 (IIRC). It certainly looks like he's doing fine now.

Like I said, I still agree it's a red flag, but he wouldn't be the first guy to over come a "bad" senior season.

It would be interesting to know how he hit in his other years of high school, and how he's done in non-scholastic high level competition.

I agree that hitting .310 in high school is a red flag, but I'm willing to give him a chance. The scouts think he's got some tools, we know he's got some bloodlines, and there's enough info out there to make you wonder if he was even 100% healthy during his senior season.

In the past, I don't think I would've given Narron a second thought, thinking, ".310 in high school?! No way he'll amount to anything in the pros." But last year the Phillies drafted a 1Bman named Jonathan Singleton (8th round) who had a good track record going into his senior season and then disappointed, hitting .321 (IIRC). It certainly looks like he's doing fine now.

Like I said, I still agree it's a red flag, but he wouldn't be the first guy to over come a "bad" senior season.

Glad you brought this up, I know its the wrong place but does anyone know anything about this Singleton kid. I read somewhere that lots of teams are calling the Phils about him already. I also read he is now considered their best trade chip.

Glad you brought this up, I know its the wrong place but does anyone know anything about this Singleton kid. I read somewhere that lots of teams are calling the Phils about him already. I also read he is now considered their best trade chip.

He was a Dirtbag commit. Huge raw power; feel for hitting but some thought his swing needed to be shortened some. Didn't finish the '08 summer very strong and dropped after similar struggles in the spring of '09. Most likely limited to 1B, despite his arm, because of his below average footspeed.

He was a Dirtbag commit. Huge raw power; feel for hitting but some thought his swing needed to be shortened some. Didn't finish the '08 summer very strong and dropped after similar struggles in the spring of '09. Most likely limited to 1B, despite his arm, because of his below average footspeed.

I remember looking for information on him and why he was still in extended spring training (he was expected to start the season in Lakewood), and I remember one blog (can't find it now) saying that he was held back to work on his defense at 1B. So it looks like you're probably right there.

Archived