"Adam Jones came to me" Jim Palmer interview w/Rob Long

ScottieBaseball

I don't see an ego problem with him really. Did he have an inflated opinion of himself coming into this season? I don't know for sure, but it does look that way. Being a young all-star with power and a gold glove, perhaps he struggles a bit with his celebrity. I mean, does it make the news when we get pulled over for a tint violation or if we are detained at the border? Although I'm sure he enjoyed the flood of attention that came with his success, I believe he has found there is another side to success, expectations. I believe he placed way too much pressure on himself.

When he began to struggle at the plate, he tried to justify that status he attained last year by pressing even more. He swings at way too many bad pitches and, it seems his defense was subpar, for what we have come to expect from him, until the last month or so. It looked like his struggles at the plate affected him in the field. He's been panicking a bit, and I think it's natural for a young player who sees success came suddenly and leave as quickly as it came.

To me, he's a gregarious kid, who just needs to balance himself a bit. He needs to go through this type of struggle to get to the other side. He wants to be a team leader, and when he comes out of this funk, he'll be better for it.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not if he played to expectations this year and the Orioles were performing as expected. It would show a leader and a guy who is putting individual goals to the side for the team.

Well, why even mention being an All Star or Gold Glover? Because whoever wrote the commercial wanted to pimp that, no matter what Adam is actually saying in the piece.

Well, why even mention being an All Star or Gold Glover? Because whoever wrote the commercial wanted to pimp that, no matter what Adam is actually saying in the piece.

I think that is false. The Orioles need a face of the franchise and they have to hang their hat on personal accomplishments from their young talented core. The point of the whole commercial was that even though he has earned personal accomplishments, it won't stop him from working hard to earn a team accomplishment.

I think that is false. The Orioles need a face of the franchise and they have to hang their hat on personal accomplishments from their young talented core. The point of the whole commercial was that even though he has earned personal accomplishments, it won't stop him from working hard to earn a team accomplishment.

Well, how is that commercial working out for them?

Not only is he not playing like a Gold Glover or All Star, but the whole 'winning' message just sounds ridiculous.

Do you watch that commercial and get a warm and fuzzy about their 'young talented core'?

Not only is he not playing like a Gold Glover or All Star, but the whole 'winning' message just sounds ridiculous.

Do you watch that commercial and get a warm and fuzzy about their 'young talented core'?

Is MASN still playing that one? If so, I think that's pretty dumb.

They should probably just fade to black during commercial breaks.

What point are you making? You are saying that the commercial was dumb. At this point in the season, to keep playing the commercial, is dumb.

To make the commercial, with the preseason expectations, was not dumb.

It was made to get fans excited about the young players and team, expectations were higher this year than years past. The commercial was a good one. I agree with TGO that it shouldn't be played anymore. At the time, it wasn't a dumb idea.

I don't have to know him...I can tell what I see and what I see is a guy that has a huge ego that has overhyped himself and his abilities.

How did Jones overhype himself?

Perhaps you mean the Orioles overhyped him.

Or do you think Jones and his giant ego came up with the idea for the commercial and then sat down side by side to write it? I mean, Jones is clearly overhyped at this point, but it's not his fault. It's also not his fault he got picked as a Gold Glove winner or an All Star. But clearly, those only happened because his massive ego conducted a crazy PR campaign for him.

:rolleyes:

How did Jones overhype himself?

Perhaps you mean the Orioles overhyped him.

Or do you think Jones and his giant ego came up with the idea for the commercial and then sat down side by side to write it? I mean, Jones is clearly overhyped at this point, but it's not his fault. It's also not his fault he got picked as a Gold Glove winner or an All Star. But clearly, those only happened because his massive ego conducted a crazy PR campaign for him.

:rolleyes:

Believed his own AS and GG status.

We have heard enough whispers and have seen his play and his off the field stuff to make you question where his head has been this year.

I don't have to know him...I can tell what I see and what I see is a guy that has a huge ego that has overhyped himself and his abilities.
Fortunately what you think you see and what is real isn't necessarily the same. I don't think you have one damn clue about what you're talking about here.

He's overhyped himself and that's what has caused his struggles? Nonsense.

Bueller? Bueller? DID ANYONE LISTEN TO THE INTERVIEW?

I listened to the interview. Palmer said Jones came to him and said something to the effect of, "This game is hard -- I have a lot of respect for guys like you who played it for such a long time."

To me, the comment -- and the remarks Palmer made afterward -- showed that Jones is still searching for answers and understands that the success he had in the first half of '09 is not automatic by any stretch.

It was brought up in the context of "trusting your stuff" -- a favorite Palmer expression -- and how at some point young players need to become comfortable with their own skills.

They also talked about Adam's plate discipline and how he's not doing himself any favors by not swinging at strikes.

As he has said on the game broadcasts, Palmer repeated, "Why would a pitcher throw Adam Jones a strike when he doesn't have to?"

It was an interesting take -- as Palmer's takes usually are. But it didn't sound like Jones was going to Palmer for hitting advice or anything like that. More like a young player going to a Hall of Famer and acknowledging just how hard this game can be at times.

Fortunately what you think you see and what is real isn't necessarily the same. I don't think you have one damn clue about what you're talking about here.

He's overhyped himself and that's what has caused his struggles? Nonsense.

Well, I think I am a much better judge of this than you are and I also think that I don't care what your opinion is.

Jones has some serious issues with his game that go a lot deeper than just struggling.

He isn't developing power..His defense has suffered...he won't take walks. He won't stop swinging from his heels. He refuses to go back to the approach that got him to where he was early on last year.

We have heard from Tony, schmuck, Roch, etc...all people who know some people and they have all hinted that Jones's attitude is different and not where it should be.

Everyone likes the kid...he has a ton of upside..but he obviously has issues between his ears.

He likes to showboat...He likes to twitter.

Archived