Are you hometown O's fan or...

jdouble777

Black and Orange took me over becuase...  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Black and Orange took me over becuase...

• I was born around Baltimore
    • I was born in VA/DC area and there was no team
    • I am from elsewhere but I was drawn to this franchise
    • I was born elsewhere but moved to Baltimore area
    • I was born elsewhere but moved to VA/DC are before Nats

Yeah, I think those that started following not as long ago and are closer to D.C. than Baltimore will probably be the ones that end up Nats fans.
Not me. I'm in a forever keeper fantasy league, and had second pick of the rookies this year (Heyward went first). I took Matusz over Strasburg, there's no going back now! :)

O`s for life!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Born in Baltimore and lived in that are until I was about 8. I also lived in Fairfax, VA on the weekends because my parents were divorced. They got back together and I moved to Fairfax, VA full time and lived there ever since. Now my parents are divorced again and my mom, who I live with when I am not in Charlottesville for school, and my mom is moving from Fairfax back to the Baltimore area in the next month or so and I can't wait. Growing up I have always been an O's and Baltimore sports fan. Most of my family before that were and still are Baltimore sports fans and thats what I am too, because that is how I was raised. I may have been living in the DC area for a good portion of my life, but I will always have a strong dislike for DC and it sports teams and will always be a Baltimore sports fan and that will never change.

You must really be struggling with this issue since you have brought it up several times lately.

I was born and raised in Utah, but I've been an O's fan since 1978. My first team out of t-ball was the Orioles and I loved baseball enough to start following them. On my shelf here at work is the plastic O's helmet from the sundae I got at the old baseball stadium in Salt Lake in '78.

Is all of Maryland "around" Baltimore?

Yea, I'm from St. Mary's County. It's a good two hour drive to OPACY, more if there's traffic. Basically, a weeknight game means taking off work a couple hours early and getting home at one in the morning.

But in 1979 the O's were the team. I'm too young to remember the Senators, and the O's were great. So everyone in Southern Md was an O's fan. Not so much any more.

Born on Maryland's eastern shore, Cambridge specifically. Still many, many family members, but it wouldn't matter if they were there to love and visit or not, I will always bleed orange and black.

You can take the man out of Maryland, but you can't take Maryland out of the man.

As a former US Marine, I worked at the Pentagon for a year and had to live in Alexandria, VA. I wouldn't cheer for the Nats if they sent me a check every year.

-Don

Born in Baltimore and lived in that are until I was about 8. I also lived in Fairfax, VA on the weekends because my parents were divorced. They got back together and I moved to Fairfax, VA full time and lived there ever since. Now my parents are divorced again and my mom, who I live with when I am not in Charlottesville for school, and my mom is moving from Fairfax back to the Baltimore area in the next month or so and I can't wait. Growing up I have always been an O's and Baltimore sports fan. Most of my family before that were and still are Baltimore sports fans and thats what I am too, because that is how I was raised. I may have been living in the DC area for a good portion of my life, but I will always have a strong dislike for DC and it sports teams and will always be a Baltimore sports fan and that will never change.

You must really be struggling with this issue since you have brought it up several times lately.

You have no idea. I love this team with all of soul and have for a very long time. But I really do not like Baltimore. I was only a fan because there was no Washington team. I love OPACY and the inner harbor but have no love for Baltimore or Maryland. I have spent a good chunk of my life in and around D.C., I got my undergrad from George Mason. I feel wrong loving all D.C. teams and then supporting a Baltimore team. But like many others, my father and Cal tattooed the orange and black when I was 5. I currently live 3 hours south, near VA Tech for grad school and am moving back to the Alexandria area for employment. I know the metro like the back of my hand and would undoubtedly be able to see a lot more Nat than O's games and feel much more home in D.C. area. However, there is so much investment that it is seemingly impossible to switch and it seems like being a hybrid is wrong. I remember reloading mlbtraderumors constantly at all hours of the night when Bedard was being traded, I remember the sense of pride I felt when the O's beat the Sox in 2008 in spite of there being more Sox fans than O's fans. I remember watching Matusz and Tillman's debut and it would take a catastrophe for me to miss Arrieta's start tomorrow. My fantasy team has/had Bergesen, Millwood, Roberts, Scott, Tejada, and Weiters. Yeah, dead last and could have saved a lot of emotional distress but just burning the $200. I suppose there is no sense if debating it, just let what happens happen.

I was born and raised in Utah, but I've been an O's fan since 1978. My first team out of t-ball was the Orioles and I loved baseball enough to start following them. On my shelf here at work is the plastic O's helmet from the sundae I got at the old baseball stadium in Salt Lake in '78.

:) That is a pretty awesome story, and probably quite unique. Do you think if there had been a team close to your home you might have gone to them or probably not?

I'm from South Jersey, near Atlantic City. My Dad, who grew up a Phillies fan in the Jersey suburbs, took me to Baltimore for an O's game in 1991, and I've been hooked ever since! I've been a 3 yr Sunday plan Season Ticket Holder, and I have no plans on ever giving that up!

We lived halfway between Baltimore and Philly. Rooting for Philly was not an option.

Not sure about 25 years ago when we were growing up but Cecil County is pretty much split now between Philly and Baltimore fans. The eastern part of the county(Elkton, CC) is definitely a Philly lean.

So you were a Senator fan first and then had no team but O's were close by to replace your lost team? Makes sense. You never though about moving back to the DC team? Because of the bad taste left by them leaving or just too entrenched at this point as an O's fan?

You Can't Go Home Again

Archived