The Orioles don't seem to be having a good draft

Is it just me or does it seem like the Orioles are not having a good draft this year. What do you guys think of the Orioles draft? I am starting to wonder if Joe Jordan went away from his normal draft philosophy by drafting players AM could use in the majors in a year or two. Do you think Joe got away from his draft philosophy by giving into AM?

Andrew,

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it just me or does it seem like the Orioles are not having a good draft this year. What do you guys think of the Orioles draft? I am starting to wonder if Joe Jordan went away from his normal draft philosophy by drafting players AM could use in the majors in a year or two. Do you think Joe got away from his draft philosophy by giving into AM?

Andrew' date='[/quote']

Nah, this is a solid draft. Machado, Klein, Dixon, Bywater are all very good picks IMO for college guys later than they were projected.

Schrader, Sawyer, Narron, Bridwell, Robinson, Esquivel, Urban, Vader are some other very solid picks but will probably command overslot $$.

I went to school with Cameron Roth and woulda played ball with him if I hadn't tranferred to another school, but he is a projectable kid.....

Andrew' date='[/quote']

I am by far an expert but I have to agree that the Orioles do not seem to have a very good draft. But in the end I guess we will have to wait a few years to see...

I'm not sure how someone who's not a draft expert can already say whether or not it's a good draft without having heard of 95% of the players before yesterday, without seeing who signs, and without seeing any of the players play yet. Time will tell, and I think we'll know a little more in a few days once we hear comments on some of the later currently unknown picks from Jordan and other draft experts.

It's intereting to look at our draft strategy: very college and JUCO-heavy, with only 12 of the top 48 or so picks being HS kids. If you compare this with the Red Sox, 32 of their picks so far are high schoolers, even though their top 4 selections were all college players. Without knowing much about the specific players, I think I prefer the Red Sox overall strategy more -- highly drafted college guys who can reach the majors quickly, and then a bunch of high-upside high schoolers who they'll try to sign overslot. Will be interesting to see how much money they end up spending on the draft, and how that compares to the Orioles, though it's not a fully fair comparison since the Sox had extra picks. It will be depressing though if they end up getting more high-end talent into their system from this draft than we do. Since we're not beating them in adding talent via free agency or international players, this is one area in which we have to excel.

Andrew' date='[/quote']

Why don't you think its a good draft? How can you say its a bad draft when none of these guys have yet to even put on a uniform?

Why don't you think its a good draft? How can you say its a bad draft when none of these guys have yet to even put on a uniform?

Agreed. I am far from an expert, but I actually like what they have done in this draft. But nobody is going to be able to judge anything until we see who signs and even then, we will not have any kind of accurate reading for a few years.

I am basing my opinion off the reviews of the players the Orioles drafted. I haven't read very many reviews that said positive things about a player the Orioles drafted.

Really? You must have VERY high expectations of the draft then. Sure, I'd love to nab some more high profile names because I'm more familiar with them, but this draft IMO is more solid than last year. We have drafted quite a few guys who will take overslot money to sign and 1 premium guy in Machado....

I saw tons of positive things about a lot of these guys. It'd be one thing if we had a scouting report on EVERY player we took, but we don't. A lot of picks we don't know anything about, so lets see the whole picture before making the assumption

It's far too early to assign any grade to this draft, but I do think it was a solid effort. There's not too many sexy or flashy picks, but at the end of the day, I do think we've added at least 4-5 guys who have a decent shot of reaching and producing at the major league level.

Obviously this draft's success is tied into Machado, and I think he's got a good chance to be average defensively at SS while hitting .275-.290 with 15-20 HR's a year.

I know that Klein and Anderson will probably get every opportunity to start, but I think eventually have some value as later inning relievers. I also think if signed, Schrader will be an effective arm in the pen.

I'm not sure what to make of some of the high school guys who may be overslot, but I hope we can sign a decent amount of Narron, Sawyer, Bridwell, Vader, Gonzalez, Urban, Esquivel, and Murphy. We need to continue to stock young talent to the lower minors, so I hope Jordan is ready to spend.

While there is a lot of potential with this group, I don't know how we stack up with the rest of the league. Like I said earlier, I think this will be a solid draft for us, but it is frustrating to see Boston have such a phenomenal draft. In order to compete in the long run, we're have to start having some drafts like Boston's. Right now they work the system as well as anyone else, and they probably have the most intriguing drafts of any organization.

This draft is pretty uninspiring. After Machado it's doubtful any of these guys make it to the majors. Maybe Mummey and Bridwell. The Klein and Narron picks were like....why????

Let's be fair though, how many picks from the 2nd round and beyond usually "make it?"

We won't know the results of this draft for at least 5 years. Its like everyone who hated the Hobgood and Givens picks last year. None of us are Major League scouts who have put hundreds of hours into studying these guys and evaluating their potential.

I think the problem is that this just seems like a solid draft. But in our position we should have more than solid drafts. We should have a draft that experts are raving about like they do for the drafts of teams like the Red Sox, Marlins etc.

We do not spend in FA, we do not spend internationally and now please forgive me if I am disappointing that we did not take the players other teams took in the 3rd, 4th and 5th round, which by most experts are seen as safer bets than the players Jordan took.

Archived