The Orioles don't seem to be having a good draft

Do you ever wonder if the guy got picked/chosen for all of the futures games because his dad played MLB? Coaches son so to speak. He was given more of the benefit of the doubt? Because of politics someone just as worthy or even more worthy was left off the team even though he out played the "coaches kid".

And now we know why you seem to hate every draft pick and prospect. It looks like somebody is holding a bit of grudge.:rolleyes:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you ever wonder if the guy got picked/chosen for all of the futures games because his dad played MLB? Coaches son so to speak. He was given more of the benefit of the doubt? Because of politics someone just as worthy or even more worthy was left off the team even though he out played the "coaches kid".

I'm cynical because nothing I've seen says the guy is worth a $1 million signing bonus. Some want to accept faith, however, I prefer results. I prefer results from guys like Adams and Henson and Hoes and Avery and Snyder and Rowell and Beato and Bascom and Hudson and Hobgood and Townsend. How many of those guys that the O's picked in the first few rounds can you see as an everyday MLB BB player?

What the hell are you rambling about?

You think Narron is a bad baseball player because Wade Townsend got hurt?

They scouted this kid and they liked him. His stats are meaningless, good or bad. Everyone who gets drafted out of HS has great HS stats, they mean nothing. Its all about skills and projection.

They scouted this kid and they liked him. His stats are meaningless, good or bad. Everyone who gets drafted out of HS has great HS stats, they mean nothing. Its all about skills and projection.

I think he's referring to Tyler Townsend. Nonsensical nonetheless. You summed it up pretty succinctly.

I just love it when people go out on a limb like that. Actually a guy in your scenario could have never ever played, but could be an outstanding prospect. He could have just practiced. Classic.

I guess since it's ALL about skills and projection what's the track record of our current draft "skills and projection" team? Would you let them run your investment portfolio too? Probably. Gotta have faith in something, right?

I just love it when people go out on a limb like that. Actually a guy in your scenario could have never ever played, but could be an outstanding prospect. He could have just practiced. Classic.

I guess since it's ALL about skills and projection what's the track record of our current draft "skills and projection" team? Would you let them run your investment portfolio too? Probably. Gotta have faith in something, right?

Yes, actually. One of our draft picks this year, I think a JUCO guy didn't play at all but the O's caught a BP session of his and drafted him based on that.

The draft is ALL about skills and projection, it just happens that MOST of the guys with the best skills and projection will have the best stats when using those skills in a game.

If I went and saw a 17 year old that had never played baseball before, but had a 98 MPH FB and a couple decent secondaries you better believe I'd be drafting him. You can teach rules, and strategies, you can't teach talent and tools.

How many stats do the 16 year old international kids have?

I know he has a strong commitment to Stanford but Austin Wilson falling was completely insane. I thought he was a top 10 guys. My favorite hitter in the draft. I know it would have cost a ton but Machado, Cole, Paxton, Wilson would have made my year!

I know he has a strong commitment to Stanford but Austin Wilson falling was completely insane. I thought he was a top 10 guys. My favorite hitter in the draft. I know it would have cost a ton but Machado, Cole, Paxton, Wilson would have made my year!

Wilson's baseball skill was just too far behind his athleticism to get Top 5 money. He'll enjoy school -- it's the right move for him. That Stanford team is going to be scary if Ragira and Venegas both end-up there, as well.

Cole could have been a nice pick-up. His drop was related to asking price, but his "approach" is what's somewhat lacking (and why teams passed on top-half 1st round money until later on). The stuff and projection are solid for a mult-million bonus; not sure he ultimately gets enough to buy him out of his commit; kind of hoping he doesn't, as I'd selfishly love to see him play college ball.

Just playing devil's advocate, but there would have been glowing reviews from BA and the like for something like:

1:3 Machado

3:3 Cole

4:3 Paxton

5:3 Hahn

or

1:3 Machado

3:3 Rutledge

4:3 Cecchini

5:3 Hahn

Granted, Cecchini would be a tougher signing for BAL than he is for BOS. But it isn't like there weren't players that dropped that BAL could have popped and signed to make up for the 2nd round pick. My guess is the preference was to spread over a good number of HS and JuCos willing to sign for low six figures, rather than making the big investment in a couple of high six figure guys. Machado is going to chew through a lot, too, I imagine.

Pretty much exactly what I would have done, and then thrown Bobby Wahl in the late teens in the mix just to see.

Wilson's baseball skill was just too far behind his athleticism to get Top 5 money. He'll enjoy school -- it's the right move for him. That Stanford team is going to be scary if Ragira and Venegas both end-up there, as well.

Cole could have been a nice pick-up. His drop was related to asking price, but his "approach" is what's somewhat lacking (and why teams passed on top-half 1st round money until later on). The stuff and projection are solid for a mult-million bonus; not sure he ultimately gets enough to buy him out of his commit; kind of hoping he doesn't, as I'd selfishly love to see him play college ball.

Good stuff.

I was also suprised to see Robbie Aviles fall as far as he did. I guess being from the Northeast really affected his stock.

Archived