USC Apparently Got Nailed

CrimsonTribe

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5267933

The USC football program will receive a two-year postseason ban, a reduction in scholarships and a forfeiture of wins from at least the 2004 season when the NCAA releases its sanctions on Thursday, a source told ESPN's Shelley Smith.

The Los Angeles Times reported the NCAA sanctions include the loss of more than 20 scholarships.

No BCS conference football programs have been banned from postseason play over the past seven years, but the NCAA has been expected to make an example of USC, one of the highest-profile programs in the country.

As an Alabama fan I say good luck.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This sucks.

Well it really shouldn't affect recruiting that much imo since most guys they'd be recruiting would only have their freshman year affected at the most.

Kind of hard to recruit when you're down at least 20 scholarships. It took Alabama years to recover from this.

Kind of hard to recruit when you're down at least 20 scholarships. It took Alabama years to recover from this.

Yeah, I was just going to remark on that.

I still doubt it will take them that long to recover.

Anyway, the college sports rules regarding stuff like still annoys me as I think players should be compensated more and I think colleges shouldn't be totally held accountable for things they may not anything to do with.

I also think schools consistently get away with violations, but oh well.

Hopefully, the NCAA takes away the 2004 championship and ships down to the loveliest village on the plains, where it should have been to begin with.

I doubt that happens. They weren't even in the BCS championship game. My bet is they either award it to OU or they blank it out.

Hopefully, the NCAA takes away the 2004 championship and ships down to the loveliest village on the plains, where it should have been to begin with.

It doesn't work that way. The title would be vacated and no one would get it. Besides, if you advocate giving it to Auburn, then you have to give a piece of it to Utah and Boise St as well, both of whom went undefeated and won their bowl games too.

Now as for the AP National Championship, I suppose they could always have a re-vote. They did set a precedence for that just recently with the re-vote of Brian Cushing's D-ROY award. But I doubt they will want to go back that many years to vote again. They will probably do the same and take the title from USC and leave it vacant.

It doesn't work that way. The title would be vacated and no one would get it. Besides' date=' if you advocate giving it to Auburn, then you have to give a piece of it to Utah and Boise St as well[/b'], both of whom went undefeated and won their bowl games too.

Now as for the AP National Championship, I suppose they could always have a re-vote. They did set a precedence for that just recently with the re-vote of Brian Cushing's D-ROY award. But I doubt they will want to go back that many years to vote again. They will probably do the same and take the title from USC and leave it vacant.

No you don't. Unless you think Boise should have been co-champs this year too. Auburn plays in the SEC. They went undefeated. Look at the teams they beat in 2004 (Va Tech, Tennessee (2), Georgia, LSU, Alabama etc.). Who did either of those two beat?

Either way I've claimed the 2004 title since that season, despite not getting a shot at it.:D

No you don't. Unless you think Boise should have been co-champs this year too. Auburn plays in the SEC. They went undefeated. Look at the teams they beat in 2004 (Va Tech, Tennessee (2), Georgia, LSU, Alabama etc.). Who did either of those two beat?

Either way I've claimed the 2004 title since that season, despite not getting a shot at it.:D

Do you have your own fake ring and everything? :P

And yet it still wasn't good enough to get them in the championship game. The system sucks...it did then, and as of now it still does. But to have all of the voters go back and re-vote, then have all the computers recompute their numbers, and come up with the 2 best teams (plus knowing full well that Oklahoma wasn't one of them) to play another championship game won't happen. Auburn's best bet is to lobby the AP to have a re-vote, and if they do just be satisfied with that. But the BCS trophy will simply be boxed up and stored in a giant warehouse somewhere, right on top of the Lost Ark....where it will no doubt be re-examined by top men sometime in the future. Top. Men.

Yeah, I was just going to remark on that.

I still doubt it will take them that long to recover.

Anyway, the college sports rules regarding stuff like still annoys me as I think players should be compensated more and I think colleges shouldn't be totally held accountable for things they may not anything to do with.

I also think schools consistently get away with violations, but oh well.

Alabama's got handed down in 2002 and we won a NC 7 yrs later so there's that. There were some lean times in between. And you've got Kiffin for a head coach; can't say that bodes well. Hopefully he's just USC's Mike Shula, but I doubt it. He's getting paid way to much for that.

Alabama's got handed down in 2002 and we won a NC 7 yrs later so there's that. There were some lean times in between. And you've got Kiffin for a head coach; can't say that bodes well. Hopefully he's just USC's Mike Shula, but I doubt it. He's getting paid way to much for that.

I think Kiffin is much more of an asset than most.

Archived