USC Apparently Got Nailed

CrimsonTribe

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that serious?

I just heard that a team on probation's players can transfer without having to sit out a year, if they are given a release by the AD.

That's true. And since they are losing 10 scholly's per year, it's only fair. Wouldn't seem right to tell a kid that wants to stay and had nothing to do with Reggie Bush that he has to give his up. But it won't come to that. Between the kids that want to transfer and members of the incoming class that ask out of their LOI, they'll shed 10 scholarships easily.

There's some teeth in this judgement.

I would have liked to see a longer probation period and something on the coaches - like a multi-year ban on Carroll coaching college football.

Other than Sampson, at Indiana, has there ever been a ban on coaches?

There's some teeth in this judgement.

I would have liked to see a longer probation period and something on the coaches - like a multi-year ban on Carroll coaching college football.

Now that he's in the NFL, there isn't much point. Unless you want to make it like 10 years, because I doubt he lasts in Seattle that long,so he wouldn't be able to go back to college anytime soon.

Since I don't want to read the report, can anyone tell me what their being penalized for other than Bush getting some benefits? And is there any proof that they were involved with him getting those benefits?

Since I don't want to read the report, can anyone tell me what their being penalized for other than Bush getting some benefits? And is there any proof that they were involved with him getting those benefits?

The only other thing I'm aware of is the OJ Mayo issue, and I think the NCAA accepted USC's self-imposed penalties on their basketball program as punishment for that.

The only other thing I'm aware of is the OJ Mayo issue' date=' and I think the NCAA accepted USC's self-imposed penalties on their basketball program as punishment for that.[/quote']

Ok, well what is the link between the benefits Bush got and USC? Were they involved with that?

Ok, well what is the link between the benefits Bush got and USC? Were they involved with that?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0611-usc-ncaa-sanctions-20100611,0,4874968.story

As the governing body for college sports, the NCAA's Committee on Infractions cited USC for a lack of institutional control, extra benefits and unethical conduct by an assistant football coach, among other things.

"The general campus environment surrounding the violations troubled the committee," according to the NCAA's public report.

The former tailback, now playing for the New Orleans Saints, was ruled retroactively ineligible for taking cash and gifts from a pair of would-be sports marketers who hoped to represent him after he turned professional. Bush's family also lived in a home owned by one of the marketers without paying rent.

The NCAA said that in January 2006, the marketers contacted a USC assistant to complain that Bush was not living up to the deal they had made with him. Investigators said the assistant failed to alert USC compliance officials of the situation and later provided "false and misleading information" to the NCAA.

The football program was also cited for breaking rules by having a hired consultant act as an assistant coach.

Ok. Well I guess it's just me on here, and I am biased, but I think this penalty is too harsh based on that. They're basically getting punished for Reggie Bush's actions and the fact that an assistant coach found out about them at some point and didn't blow the whistle.

I'm guessing similar things happen at a lot of programs.

Archived