anyone have any idea why Wieters stinks?

DocJJ

The more I think about it I think he is likely just having an off year, which almost every player has.

For example: When Johnny Bench was age 22 he was .293/45/148, and won the MVP.

The next year at age 23 he was .238/27/61.

I think with a new hitting coach and increased experience in the majors, Wieters wlll come around. Maybe even have a good 2nd half.

When Bench had his "off year" he had already proved that he could hit -- really hit -- in MLB. That can't be said of Wieters, who has had, basically, one great month after the equivalent of a full season in MLB.

Come to think of it, Wieters hasn't yet had anything like Bench's "off year."

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To me it's like this, when Kirk Gibson came up with the Tigers, Sparky Anderson went on and on with comparisons to Mickey Mantle which he later apologized for and promised (in vain) never to do to a young player again. (Now, in fairness, when Gibson was 24 he had his first magnificent year.)

Wieters earned himself an awful lot of warranted hype, but having people compare you to the Son of God meets my definition of "unfair hoopla". It can't possibly be a good thing.

My intention is not to make excuses for the guy, but just because he's not otherworldly 13 months after his big league debut doesn't mean he won't be. I stand by my belief that he could make a dozen All Star teams and win a MVP award and still be labelled a disappointment by some.

Ok, I'll give you that one. :D

I also agree that he could end up a perennial All-star, but that still doesn't mean he's not a disappointment this season so far.

Wieters needs to figure this out. Is he going to be the Ben McDonald of catchers?

Ben McDonald went 58-53 with a 3.89 ERA in his time in Baltimore. His problem was he pitched too much too early (infamously-so in college) and started to get hurt.

Ben McDonald isn't the issue. Someone like Ben Davis is more accurate, though he wasn't as dominant at any point in the minors.

Just in general with Wieters, considering he has been the opposite of what most people thought (an offensive catcher with the defense hopefully developing) I'm willing to give him plenty of time. If he was struggling defensively too, that would be a VERY bad sign, but at least he's providing something of value (big value) to the club as we wait for him to hit.

When Bench had his "off year" he had already proved that he could hit -- really hit -- in MLB. That can't be said of Wieters, who has had, basically, one great month after the equivalent of a full season in MLB.

Come to think of it, Wieters hasn't yet had anything like Bench's "off year."

I thought Wieters proved himself last year. .288 with 9 HR isn't bad for a rookie season.

Here is another example of a Hall of Fame Catcher having an off year. Besides the Johnny Bench example previously cited:

Gary Carter hit .270 with 17 HR in 1975 his first full year in MLB. In 1976 he regressed to .219 with 6 HR.

As much as we would like players to have progressively better years, when you look at many players career stats, you will not see a linear progression of improved average and power. Often a player has a good rookie season and then takes a step back the next year which is only a temporary setback to a stellar career.

Wieters will be OK. He's the Sports Illustrated cover guy and he has excelled at every level. It's unfortunate that he's been caught up in this team slump and horrific year the O's have been having, but this is not a permanent situation, he will be a good major league hitter.

I thought Wieters proved himself last year. .288 with 9 HR isn't bad for a rookie season.

Here is another example of a Hall of Fame Catcher having an off year. Besides the Johnny Bench example previously cited:

Gary Carter hit .270 with 17 HR in 1975 his first full year in MLB. In 1976 he regressed to .219 with 6 HR.

As much as we would like players to have progressively better years, when you look at many players career stats, you will not see a linear progression of improved average and power. Often a player has a good rookie season and then takes a step back the next year which is only a temporary setback to a stellar career.

Wieters will be OK. He's the Sports Illustrated cover guy and he has excelled at every level. It's unfortunate that he's been caught up in this team slump and horrific year the O's have been having, but this is not a permanent situation, he will be a good major league hitter.

I think we've found his problem.

The SI Jinx. ;)

The sophomore slump is an issue with many players...maybe a new Wieters t-shirt day will give him his powers back.

Ben McDonald went 58-53 with a 3.89 ERA in his time in Baltimore. His problem was he pitched too much too early (infamously-so in college) and started to get hurt.

Ben McDonald isn't the issue. Someone like Ben Davis is more accurate, though he wasn't as dominant at any point in the minors.

Just in general with Wieters, considering he has been the opposite of what most people thought (an offensive catcher with the defense hopefully developing) I'm willing to give him plenty of time. If he was struggling defensively too, that would be a VERY bad sign, but at least he's providing something of value (big value) to the club as we wait for him to hit.

He also didnt call his own game. His coaches did. Just like Wieters.

Can we please start to play Tatum as our everyday catcher? I am so sick and tired of Wieters ground out slowly to an infielder every at bat. What a bust he is.

He's just now played a full Major League season and he's a bust now? If you were being sarcastic, lay it on a little thicker next time. Otherwise, you're probably gonna want to hold off on judging the kid. LOTS of perennial All-Stars have experienced what Wieters is going through. Not to mention the club doesn't have anyone performing well enough to protect him.

It's okay to be disappointed in Wieters. It's lunacy to call him a bust at this point.

Archived