anyone have any idea why Wieters stinks?

DocJJ

He's just now played a full Major League season and he's a bust now? If you were being sarcastic, lay it on a little thicker next time. Otherwise, you're probably gonna want to hold off on judging the kid. LOTS of perennial All-Stars have experienced what Wieters is going through. Not to mention the club doesn't have anyone performing well enough to protect him.

It's okay to be disappointed in Wieters. It's lunacy to call him a bust at this point.

I disagree. He is definitely a bust at this point. I am hopeful that he will become at least 80% of the player we expected in the future, but right now he's a bust. Between last year and this year, he has had one month of good offensive production. And he was so hyped coming in. If Mike Stanton produces similar numbers to Wieters over the same amount of at -bats, he'll be a bust too.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree. He is definitely a bust at this point. I am hopeful that he will become at least 80% of the player we expected in the future, but right now he's a bust. Between last year and this year, he has had one month of good offensive production. And he was so hyped coming in. If Mike Stanton produces similar numbers to Wieters over the same amount of at -bats, he'll be a bust too.

This is a not-uncommon misconception about baseball development. I would not be surprised if lots of baseball fans consider Wieters a bust right now, but you'll find close to zero baseball people who share that belief at this point.

This is a not-uncommon misconception about baseball development. I would not be surprised if lots of baseball fans consider Wieters a bust right now, but you'll find close to zero baseball people who share that belief at this point.

Give me an example of "baseball people" and I can begin to answer your reply.

A person whose profession brings them in regular contact with, or participation in, professional baseball.

Well, that counts me out since I make my living outside of baseball. I do coach at the high school level, and I played at the division 1 college level. I am sorry, I guess I am not qualified. I am definitely not qualified by your definition. But, this "knee jerk fan" thinks that the greatest prospect in many years to come through our system is a bust. So far. I too am willing to give him much more time, and I am hopeful that things turn around for the guy. But anybody that thinks things are progressing as normal at the plate for Mr. Wieters....Is lying to themselves.

That is just it. Baseball is a very difficult game to scout and project in. I have seen 100's of guys who could not be pitched to at the high school level, and then could not hit at the college level. Likewise I have seen guys who ripped the cover off the ball in college and couldn't get a whiff at AA. so far, and I hope I am wrong, Wieters looks like a guy who just could not make it translate from AA to the Majors. Each jump in competition pushes it closer to a guys physical limitations. The true players never find that limit. Way, way more of them do and that is just unfortunate.

Well, we have no choice. If this is what we are "stuck" with over the next few years, so be it. We have 6 other non-pitching positions that need to be addressed first.

I couldn't agree more.

We have bigger problems than finding someone to catch for us.

It's absurd to call Wieters a bust at this point. It's just an off season, make that an off half season. He has to adjust to major league pitching.

Matt Wieters is the best young prospect the O's have had in years, and to give up on him now, or think this is how he is going to hit from now on, is a knee jerk reaction. A reaction based upon frustration and emotion, rather than logic.

As has previously been discussed, Johnny Bench hit .230 something in 1971 after he won the MVP in 1970,and Gary Carter hit even less than that in his sophomore season.

Both went on to hall of fame careers.

Archived